• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Have P.ie poster experience of inappropriate/corrupt Garda behaviour

realistic1

There has been a lot of talk of late of Garda corruption etc. and I was just wondering had many P.ie poster had experience of Garda corruption/unfairness. The following is an example of inappropriate behavior/corruption I know happened. My neighbour was stopped by our local Garda for no Tax on his car, after a bit of pleading from my neighbour, he was told by the Garda to “get it sorted”, the Garda also told him to remember “you owe me”. After this experience, my neighbour who ran the local shop was visited by the same Garda, who proceeded to order 2 slices of beef from my neighbour wife, and when she went to charge him the Garda told her “talk to your husband, he agreed to look after me”. This Garda visited my neighbours shop for the next 2 years and would always order something and would walk out without having to pay. It only stopped when the Garda moved to another area. This may be a small example of inappropriate Garda behaviour but was very annoying for my neighbour. My neighbour reckons the Garda got approx 600 euro of free items from him.

firefly123

Nope. I certainly wouldn't stand for that kind of shyte either from any public representative.

GSOC - Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission.
If you would like to access information on making a complaint click here or contact us on LoCall 1890 600 800 or info@gsoc.ie
Oh and your friend is a bigger eejit for allowing it to continue. I've seen it in eastern Europe and its horrible. Any sleeveen fecker who tries that here needs to be slapped down pronto!

D

Dylan2010

friends of the family had a restaurant on Harcourt street in the 80's , apparently the local decectives introduced themselves and ended up with a free meal, not sure if it went on on a regular basis but I gather they took advice from other business owners in the area and at least there must have been some nod and a wink that it would have implications on how quickly they would come if needed.

Aindriu

Yer friend should have told him where to go and reported him.

gijoe

Can't say I have seen Garda 'corruption' what I have seen is the Gardai trying it on in assuming that I, along with 99% of the population, are not fully aware of the law. Two Gardai did try to lend their support to a trader I was in a dispute which was a total Civil matter. They effectively tried to bluff me out of it but when I was able to quote the law chapter and verse they backed off with their infintile attempts to fob me off.

Tawdy

While I do appreciate that this is an internet forum, with all that it implies. If you are unable to give specific details of these stupid hearsay stories, then disist.

You lessen yourselves with these stupid idiotic hearsay stories and by extension P.ie also.

I am no great fan of the Gardai, but please, either give first hand accounts and make proper complaints to the proper authorities, or get a life! :roll:

Ernesto Guevara

Was up for dangerous driving a few years ago after a crash which in fairness was my fault. At the time i needed my licence for work so was obviously very concerned.
A friend of mine was going out with a Guard at the time and invited me out for a few drinks thinking that his lady Guard might be able to give me some advice etc...

Anyway went along for the night out and found she had brought a female colleague along as a kind of double date type thing. My date resembled an East German weight lifter from the late 70's. Being the nice chap i am i made small talk with her and started telling her about my upcoming court case. Turned out she knew the Guard prosecuting me and said that she might be able to sort things for me.

To cut a long story short i had to shag this monster for the month leading up to the court case with her always dangling the carrot of "having a word". Thank god for v1agra. Anyway the prosecuting Guard did not turn up on the day and the case was thrown out of court by the judge. Changed my phone number the following day and avoided going out in town for 6 months or so after. Still was not worth the pain of having to mount that monster though.

I shiver to this day when i see a female Guard. :(

Tawdy

Was up for dangerous driving a few years ago after a crash which in fairness was my fault. At the time i needed my licence for work so was obviously very concerned.
A friend of mine was going out with a Guard at the time and invited me out for a few drinks thinking that his lady Guard might be able to give me some advice etc...

Anyway went along for the night out and found she had brought a female colleague along as a kind of double date type thing. My date resembled an East German weight lifter from the late 70's. Being the nice chap i am i made small talk with her and started telling her about my upcoming court case. Turned out she knew the Guard prosecuting me and said that she might be able to sort things for me.

To cut a long story short i had to shag this monster for the month leading up to the court case with her always dangling the carrot of "having a word". Thank god for v1agra. Anyway the prosecuting Guard did not turn up on the day and the case was thrown out of court by the judge. Changed my phone number the following day and avoided going out in town for 6 months or so after. Still was not worth the pain of having to mount that monster though.

I shiver to this day when i see a female Guard. :(

Seeing as the day that`s in it ( Valentines ) a gentlemen would never tell such a tall story.

eoghanacht

An old Sargent used to be seen loading kegs into that back of the squad car to bring them to the local GAA club for their xmas party.

Brenny

My Dad was attacked by a bunch of students late at night when he told them all to leave his car alone. The Gardai showed up and all but one of the students had scattered. They caught the last guy and asked him for the names of the others but he said he didn't know anything. The biggest Garda there punched him the stomach, grabbed him by the hair and pulled him into the Garda van. Five minutes later he came out and told my Dad he had the names and addresses of the guys who attacked him.

The student who had been part of the group who attacked my Dad (in fairness to him he hadn't actually done anything but was just drunk and in the wrong place) muttered something to my Dad about police brutality but my Dad just laughed and said he hadn't seen anything.

Our local Garda doesn't seem to have any problem with vigilantism and he told our residents meeting that if they catch a guy breaking in and they have to use violence to make sure that they go for the ribs/stomach and if they incapacitate the attacker they should dump him off their property and insist that none of his injuries were sustained on their property.

eoghanacht

While I do appreciate that this is an internet forum, with all that it implies. If you are unable to give specific details of these stupid hearsay stories, then disist.

You lessen yourselves with these stupid idiotic hearsay stories and by extension P.ie also.

I am no great fan of the Gardai, but please, either give first hand accounts and make proper complaints to the proper authorities, or get a life! :roll:

ALternatively you could just p!ss off from the thread.

Lessen P.ie FFS

It couldn't possibly get an lower.

You get a life.

eoghanacht

Not sure how productive an exercise this thread will be. I am pretty sure i can give you an example of corruption in every field that I have worked in. I've come across corrupt builders, teachers, shopowners, priests and guards.
Are we cop bashing here ?

Read the OP.

firefly123

My Dad was attacked by a bunch of students late at night when he told them all to leave his car alone. The Gardai showed up and all but one of the students had scattered. They caught the last guy and asked him for the names of the others but he said he didn't know anything. The biggest Garda there punched him the stomach, grabbed him by the hair and pulled him into the Garda van. Five minutes later he came out and told my Dad he had the names and addresses of the guys who attacked him.

The student who had been part of the group who attacked my Dad (in fairness to him he hadn't actually done anything but was just drunk and in the wrong place) muttered something to my Dad about police brutality but my Dad just laughed and said he hadn't seen anything.

Our local Garda doesn't seem to have any problem with vigilantism and he told our residents meeting that if they catch a guy breaking in and they have to use violence to make sure that they go for the ribs/stomach and if they incapacitate the attacker they should dump him off their property and insist that none of his injuries were sustained on their property.
Do you see this as a good thing or a bad thing?

Seanie Lemass

Thecops do a turn for your Da who was beaten up and you get all mopey about one of the perps. What would Sibowitz have to say?

imokyrok

I worked in a fast food outlet in the Baggot Street area in the 80's. Whenever Gardaí came in we were under instructions to just charge them for the chips regardless of what they ordered. Not really a big deal in the scheme of things. Just meant that the Gardaí were favourably disposed towards the outlet when trouble erupted.

Aindriu

I worked in a fast food outlet in the Baggot Street area in the 80's. Whenever Gardaí came in we were under instructions to just charge them for the chips regardless of what they ordered. Not really a big deal in the scheme of things. Just meant that the Gardaí were favourably disposed towards the outlet when trouble erupted.
It is still corruption FFS! This kind of attitude towards them really annoys me. They take an oath to uphold the law without bias, prejudice, fear or favour. If they cannot honour that oath they have no place in the job!