• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Have people the right to enjoy themselves even if it's a danger to their health?

Prof Honeydew

Public health legislation developed as a means of tackling contagious epidemics like typhus, cholera and TB that killed huge numbers of people. However, now that most of these diseases have been eliminated from the developed world, the bureaucratic infrastructure has now moved to behavioural and lifestyle issues which affect individuals rather than infecting other members of society.

A good example is the current campaign over obesity. There is a veiwpoint among those formulating health policy that people do not have the right to be fat and that it's OK to exert every means of regulatory, psychological and financial pressure on anyone who is overweight.

But is this an intrusion on individual liberty? If governments are concerned about people doing harm to themselves, should not activities like pot-holing, motorcycling, swimming and body-building also be subject to taxation and shame-inducing publicity campaigns?

The owner of the American "Heart Attack Grill" chain of cholesterol restaurants wouldn't agree. But does he have a point when he says people have the right to enjoy themselves even if it's a danger to their health?

[video=youtube;hqf_SIQ3JAk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqf_SIQ3JAk[/video]

Watcher2

Public health legislation developed as a means of tackling contagious epidemics like typhus, cholera and TB that killed huge numbers of people. However, now that most of these diseases have been eliminated from the developed world, the bureaucratic infrastructure has now moved to behavioural and lifestyle issues which affect individuals rather than infecting other members of society.

A good example is the current campaign over obesity. There is a veiwpoint among those formulating health policy that people do not have the right to be fat and that it's OK to exert every means of regulatory, psychological and financial pressure on anyone who is overweight.

But is this an intrusion on individual liberty? If governments are concerned about people doing harm to themselves, should not activities like pot-holing, motorcycling, swimming and body-building also be subject to taxation and shame-inducing publicity campaigns?

The owner of the American "Heart Attack Grill" chain of cholesterol restaurants wouldn't agree. But does he have a point when he says people have the right to enjoy themselves even if it's a danger to their health?

[video=youtube;hqf_SIQ3JAk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqf_SIQ3JAk[/video]
What's wrong with bodybuilding? It's quite healthy if done correctly and safely. Or do you mean taking steroids?

Mercurial

But is this an intrusion on individual liberty?
I think this is a red herring. People don't want to be unhealthy. We don't need to coerce them into being a healthy weight - we just need to provide them with the necessary information and resources. If that leaves a minority who remain a drain on the system, the numbers would be too small to be significant.

bustedshaun

Well,as far as I Understand it middle class dangerous sports drug abuse and other narcissistic persuits are ok.Working class beer fags and pies are bad and should be stopped by the state.

Sotired

Why pick on the fatties?

What about kite surfers, motorcycle racers, parachutists, marathon runners, sailors, rally drivers, rock climbers, hill walkers, etc, etc, etc?

Gin Soaked

Its others business if they end up paying for it.
True. And the line on specific issues where the state steps in says so much for our values and background.

Practicality plays a big part. I'd love to ban people having kids they can't support but licencing childbirth and parenting would be a brute to implement and might not play well in the current idiotocracy. Considering we failed to even link children's allowance to school attendance. Lest we upset the untermench.

Ensuring only literate, competent people have kids would be a huge leap for our society. Health benefits would flow from that.

The Field Marshal

The problem with the fatties is that as more and more of them grow they start to assert "rights".

Soon all cinemas /aeroplanes will have to have double sized seats to accommodate fat arses.

The ordinary arse will have to pay for that just as he as to pay for every other misfit
on this now Godforsaken island.

Sotired

True. And the line on specific issues where the state steps in says so much for our values and background.

Practicality plays a big part. I'd love to ban people having kids they can't support but licencing childbirth and parenting would be a brute to implement and might not play well in the current idiotocracy. Considering we failed to even link children's allowance to school attendance. Lest we upset the untermench.

Ensuring only literate, competent people have kids would be a huge leap for our society. Health benefits would flow from that.
One possible view could be, that those in society that mostly pay for everyone, aren't having that many kids.

What with their thinking about the consequences, i.e. What they can afford, after they've paid for everyone else, the cost of childcare etc, etc.

Common sense being applied. God forbid.

And that some or many of those that benefit from those people's hard earned money, don't really think of the consequences, as they are on the gravy train, no matter what.

Thus skewing the numbers considerably.

When will come the tipping point, when there just isn't enough money to go round, because there isn't enough people contributing, to keep the very many 'entitled' in a manner that they have been used to?

The vast majority of the contributors, seem to be too busy, getting up way too early, because all they could afford was a house somewhere, miles away from anywhere, dropping off their kids at an ungodly hour to a creche, to head on further to work all day, and then the endless commute home, to see their kids to bed.

Pity these people don't have the time to protest or revolt.

Because they really have cause to.

Gaston

I see a guy in my local coffee shop regularly. In short, he's a whale of a guy.

Thing is though he's obviously a very wealthy person considering he is always well dressed & drives a top of the range S class merc.

I doubt that this fella is a financial burden on anyone, or is it just the fat poor people the sociopaths have an issue with. Actually that's not a question as I know the answer already.

Ye should invest in clown shoes. :rolleyes:

O

Oscurito

The more one deviates from a safe and healthy lifestyle, the more one should pay for one's own health expenses.

Gaston

If someone is wealthy & fat, chances are that they have medical insurance.

Conversely if someone is poor & fat, chances are that they have a medical card.

In other words those blathering on/advocating discrimination against fat people here are talking through their malnourished arses, as I would like to see the politician who would stand up & try and legislate against fat people. They'd get eaten alive:lol:

I'm sure someone will try to hold up fat or sugar taxes nonsense as examples. They are merely another gouging exercise, nothing more and don't work as seen elsewhere.

Analyzer

A significant amount of Ireland's male obesity problem comes from the dominant beer oligopoly on the island.

This should be obvious to most of you. Just do a "beer belly" count, then next time you are walking around :)

Therefore any discussion on obesity will avoid mention of Ireland's booze problem.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies