• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Have Rabbitte & Gilmore a case to answer re the Workers Party illegal activities ?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Rabitte and Gilmore only left the WP in 1992 , yet that same party was admitting to bank robberies in 1989

Workers' Party admits illegal activity in letter to East Berlin in late 1980s - The Irish Times - Mon, Jan 14, 2013
The admission, in a letter on headed party notepaper dated
February 26th, 1989, provides confirmation from a leading
Workers’ Party official of what was already widely known: that
its military wing, the Official IRA, was involved in bank robberies
and racketeering.
Also see
Garland told East Berlin party would not be restricted in fundraising methods - The Irish Times - Mon, Jan 14, 2013 and Key republican player linked to US 'supernotes' - The Irish Times - Mon, Jan 14, 2013

cYp

ruserious

Well if they once robbed from a bank, they're certainly paying back the banks and then some when they came into power!

True Republican

their disgusting support of eastern european communist dictatorships in the 70's and 80's is reason enough to have them barred from ever been able to run for election ever again, the former workers party crowd are treated with kid gloves from the left wing biased media.

pippakin

I would like to think so but considering our treatment of those who bankrupted this country I very much doubt it.

johnny365

their disgusting support of eastern european communist dictatorships in the 70's and 80's is reason enough to have them barred from ever been able to run for election ever again, the former workers party crowd are treated with kid gloves from the left wing biased media.
Its awful isnt it, we should bar alot of those who run for office. What kind of a system have we with people who are linked to 50 murders and those convicted of smuggling tonnes of arms and explosives sitting in our legislature.

Last edited:

The Herren

Well if they once robbed from a bank, they're certainly paying back the banks and then some when they came into power!
Its a bit ironic that Rabbite was tied up with the Germans 24 years ago and now he is tied up by the Germans .

I am beginning to think neutrality was not such a good idea.

Cellach

Gilmore was first elected in 1989 and left for Democratic Left only three years later. Rabbitte was one of those who was thought of moving the party away from it's hard Left position. Together the two were known as the 'student princes'. I personally find it hard to believe that they were privy to the activities of Sean Garland and Group B. I've heard Brian Harvey say essentially the same thing.

storybud1

Class acts, can anyone inform me of what creative policies these muppets have come up with ? EVER ? career politicians and nothing else, never did a days work in their lives or put themselves in harms way for the greater good.

It is just sad how we go from one extreme (Haughey/Bertie) to the other (Gilmore/frontline Prez) while the man/woman in the middle cannot get a decent party to vote for.

Cellach

Class acts, can anyone inform me of what creative policies these muppets have come up with ? EVER ? career politicians and nothing else, never did a days work in their lives or put themselves in harms way for the greater good.

It is just sad how we go from one extreme (Haughey/Bertie) to the other (Gilmore/frontline Prez) while the man/woman in the middle cannot get a decent party to vote for.
Well Pat Rabbitte set up the the Citywest Business Campus when he was Minister of State under Ruairí Quinn, which has provided thousands of jobs in the high tech sector, which does show a bit of creativity.

Citywest - Tenants

Can't thing of anything worthwhile Eamon Gilmore has done off hand.

Josip Broz

Gilmore was first elected in 1989 and left for Democratic Left only three years later. Rabbitte was one of those who was thought of moving the party away from it's hard Left position. Together the two were known as the 'student princes'. I personally find it hard to believe that they were privy to the activities of Sean Garland and Group B. I've heard Brian Harvey say essentially the same thing.
Actually, Gilmore joined Official SF (later the WP) in the mid '70s and Rabitte about the same time. The WP were pervasive in Irish media circles for decades so there was very little scrutiny of the party for a long time. Their past was almost airbrushed from history so your lack of knowledge is understandable.

However you can read more here The Lost Revolution: The Story of the Official IRA and the Workers' Party: Amazon.co.uk: Brian Hanley, Scott Millar: Books

Boy M5

The Lost Revolution is an excellent book.
There's a good piece in the Phoenix about the Stalinist /Stickie strain in the Labour Party and how its cometo the surface recently upsetting traditional (proper?) Labour.

bye bye mubarak

Its awful isnt it, we should bar alot of those who run for office. What kind of a system have we with people who are linked to 50 murders and those convicted of smuggling tonnes of arms and explosives sitting in our legislature.
Never the murder of cleaning women and a priest in Ebgland - did they ever decommission.

bye bye mubarak

Do you think the stickies should be barred trom office then, or does your protestations against violence exclude the execution of Irish members of the British Army home on leave.

S

simeongrimes

There is nothing to suggest either Gilmore or Rabbitte were involved in any kind of illegal activity. But it stretches credulity to suggest they were unaware of the unsavory side of the movement. It was well documented at the time by Magill and others. In fact it is even worse if they were unaware of it. It makes them look stupid.

The Workers Party was pro-Soviet in every respect and the two current Ministers were happy to go along with that until the Berlin Wall came down in 1989. Again either they knew what was going on in the soviet system and approved or they didn't know which is inexplicable.

Of course they should not be barred from running for office but people should be made aware of their past because it is a very poor record.

Crazy horse 6

Hence the reason i'm in it for myself now. I seriously could'nt be arsed playing things straight anymore. This government is just taking the piss out of the average PAYE taxpayer whilst goons like Gilmore and Rabbite continue to get paid extraordinary amounts of wages and allowances whilst the germans run the country. It's a farce which is aided and abetted by state media and special interest media.

These guys would'nt last a day in the real world.

Hewson

Gilmore and Rabbitte are what you end up with in politics when you have a small population from which to choose . . . errrm, talent.

Both are low achievers, humdrum, career politicians of the most mediocre kind.

Both will be quickly forgotten when their time is up and they trot off into obscurity, wealthier, but still utterly insignificant.

Murph

Anything to suggest they weren't involved with the invisible army that never was?

so they have gone from banks to robbing the people instead. wow