Have the CSO removed the religion question from the Census for 2011

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Census 2011 Consultation

The current pilot form does not contain any question on religion. Is this likely to remain the case for the real thing in 2011?

Have the CSO, after the consultation phase, decided that the wording of the religion question is simply too controversial to be included in the Census anymore?

I have sent them an e-mail asking why.

Will report back.

Last edited:

Christine Murray

Website
www.poethead.wordpress.com
the data should be collated by now, the pilot census was limited to a set of 4/5 areas in each region. Mine was collected sharpish. l alluded to the lack of religion question and the woman only question in the attached comment form.

Observer

Census 2011 Consultation

The current pilot form does not contain any question on religion. Is this likely to remain the case for the real thing in 2011?

Have the CSO, after the consultation phase, decided that the wording of the religion question is simply too controversial to be included in the Census anymore?

I have sent them an e-mail asking why.

Will report back.
It wasn't asked on the 2006 pilot form either as far as I could see.

http://www.cso.ie/census/documents/pilot06_hhform.pdf

disgruntledcitizen

i do hope not, as a member of a minority religion i do find it interesting to watch the ebb and flow of our numbers this being the most accurate and impartial record that i know of

Didimus

shorthand for *Work In Progress*. lt is afterall a pilot a full 2 years before the census, those of us who did it got to comment on questions and design.
Thanks for the clarification.
Anyway the pilot survey does not ask all the questions that will be included in the full survey. They change some questions, try new ones and so on. There are actually two versions of the pilot for 2011.
The pilot for 2004 did not include question on religion but it was included in the actual 2006 study.

Toland

Website
Happy to oblige. It took me 2 minutes on the CSO website to find this information.
Any chance that people are getting a little over-reactive here?
I don't think so. Perhaps a little overkeen to see the results of the lobbying on this particular question since 2006. I'm worried that the question will be the same again this time.

The established question is very, very skewed, but no question would be even worse.

Didimus

No. I'm very interested in this particular question. I'm worried that the question will be the same again this time.

The established question is very, very skewed, but no question would be even worse.
You asked if they had removed the question and you went so far as to email them to ask them if they had. Other posters claimed it had not been asked in the last census. You speculated on why they might have removed the question. You let us know that you were on the case and would report back.
Except there was and is no case, and this could have been established by reading the material on the CSO website.
If as it seems you feel the question could be reworded fair enough. Happy to hear your views.
But I think you are operating on a hair trigger at the moment. Economists who happen to be priests at an economic think-in, disappearing questions about religion that have not disappeared - but that does not matter because it is the wrong question anyway?
Don't take your name too seriously:cool:

Toland

Website
You asked if they had removed the question and you went so far as to email them to ask them if they had. Other posters claimed it had not been asked in the last census. You speculated on why they might have removed the question. You let us know that you were on the case and would report back.
Except there was and is no case, and this could have been established by reading the material on the CSO website.
If as it seems you feel the question could be reworded fair enough. Happy to hear your views.
But I think you are operating on a hair trigger at the moment. Economists who happen to be priests at an economic think-in, disappearing questions about religion that have not disappeared - but that does not matter because it is the wrong question anyway?
Don't take your name too seriously:cool:
I think you may have a point on the Farmleigh post. That's why I apologised for it.

But when I looked at the questionnaire, I assumed that the pilot was a pilot of the 2011 Census. As it seems, I wasn't the only one.

I wondered why the question wasn't there. That is not a sign of overreaction. It's a sign of concern.

I'll admit to being concerned. As I say, I'll report back.

Didimus

I think you may have a point on the Farmleigh post. That's why I apologised for it.

But when I looked at the questionnaire, I assumed that the pilot was a pilot of the 2011 Census. As it seems, I wasn't the only one.

I wondered why the question wasn't there. That is not a sign of overreaction. It's a sign of concern.

I'll admit to being concerned. As I say, I'll report back.
The fact that you were not the only one may mean that others are a little trigger happy too. The information about the pilot study is clearly accessible and I'm surprised that when you noticed no question on religion that you did not look at the faq.
The overreaction was in sending off an email when you could have easily found the information on the site.
When I read your OP and the claim by others that there was no question on a previous census I simply checked the questions for the last actual census. Q13 was about religion. That prompted me to check the info re the pilot study.
You are over-concerned.

Toland

Website
The fact that you were not the only one may mean that others are a little trigger happy too. The information about the pilot study is clearly accessible and I'm surprised that when you noticed no question on religion that you did not look at the faq.
The overreaction was in sending off an email when you could have easily found the information on the site.
When I read your OP and the claim by others that there was no question on a previous census I simply checked the questions for the last actual census. Q13 was about religion. That prompted me to check the info re the pilot study.
You are over-concerned.
If it turns out that we have a new and fairer question this time round, then I'll admit that my concerns are unfounded.

I probably didn't use the site as fully as I should have.

Stung by your admonition, I had a further look, and the FAQ suggests that, at the very best, the question on religion is not going to change.

I wrung an admission from the CSO in 2007 that the question was skewed. I would have thought that that implied that the question should be modified.

The clear implication in the FAQ is that either it hasn't been decided (yet?) to change the question or that the question will be removed. Both explanations are unwelcome as far as I can see.

As I say, I'll report back.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies