Have you ever encountered anti-Semitism in person in Ireland?

GDPR

There is a small but for the obvious reason that most Loyalists are fanatical Zionists underground sub-culture of genuine anti-Semitism among a select group of Ulster Prods to which I sinfully belonged to though I have repented of that fact. Among Nordie Tea Eggs I have never encountered any anti-Semitism online, Anti-Zionism yes but the two are far from being the same, indeed I used to have a boyfriend who was deeply anti-Semitic but strongly supported the Zionist colonial project as he saw it as a means of getting the Jews out of Europe (he held pretty racist attitudes towards the Arabs and indeed all non-whites) so anti-Semitism and Zionism can quite happily co-exist while as anti-Zionism usually comes from an opposition to all forms of racism and anti-Semitism would come under the title of racism.

In Southern Ireland in person I have only encountered a few comments from others that could possibly be construed as being anti-Semitic but I would be curious to hear if any of you have come across anti-Semitism in the flesh so to speak in the ROI?

stakerwallace

No, then again there are not many Jews in Limerick since the horrible days of early 20th century when there was considerable trouble between some locals and the local Jewish community.

roc_

There is a small but for the obvious reason that most Loyalists are fanatical Zionists underground sub-culture of genuine anti-Semitism among a select group of Ulster Prods to which I sinfully belonged to though I have repented of that fact. Among Nordie Tea Eggs I have never encountered any anti-Semitism online, Anti-Zionism yes but the two are far from being the same, indeed I used to have a boyfriend who was deeply anti-Semitic but strongly supported the Zionist colonial project as he saw it as a means of getting the Jews out of Europe (he held pretty racist attitudes towards the Arabs and indeed all non-whites) so anti-Semitism and Zionism can quite happily co-exist while as anti-Zionism usually comes from an opposition to all forms of racism and anti-Semitism would come under the title of racism.
Anti-Zionism is quite often not anti-Semitic.

But it also quite often is - before we go further, you need to appreciate how it becomes so - e.g. Anti-Zionism and Anti-Semitism - Robert Wistrich

You very often encounter anti-semitism in Ireland, if you can acknowledge certain undeniable currents within anti-Zionism.

roc_

No, then again there are not many Jews in Limerick since the horrible days of early 20th century when there was considerable trouble between some locals and the local Jewish community.
That was not about "the Jews" either.

That's the point. It never is about the Jews. Anti-semitism never speaks its name.

Arthur Griffith said, "The Jews have not been boycotted because they are Jews, but because they are Usurers."

It is always the same.

Last edited:

roc_

O

Oscurito

I've heard a few anti-Jewish comments over the years.

The surveys suggest that it's not as big an issue as in most Europeans countries.

Volatire

That was not about "the Jews" either.

That's the point. It never is about the Jews. Anti-semitism never speaks its name.

Arthur Griffith said, "The Jews have not been boycotted because they are Jews, but because they are Usurers."

It is always the same.
I always think of this racist's support for the Limerick Pogrom when driving on Dublin's Griffith Avenue.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Only ever knew one anti-semite in my life and that was an old clerk who was a bit of a caricature.

Used to have albums of nazi marching songs playing at home, popped along to lectures by any passing relic from WWII (and not on the Allied side either).

Other than that though the only place I've actually heard anti-semitic comments passed in conversation is in the United States.

Cai

I've heard a few anti-Jewish comments over the years.

The surveys suggest that it's not as big an issue as in most Europeans countries.
Perhaps owing to the fact that Jews aren't exactly common in Ireland.

GDPR

They are not exactly common in Croatia and Serbia either but you find ferocious anti-Semitism in both those places.

I've seen and heard it very many times. Maybe it is an age thing.

O

Oscurito

I think that's a little simplistic and it seems to be suggesting that the more one knows about certain minorities, the more one hates them. You don't mean that, do you?

I remember reading around the time of the Brexit referendum that towns in the UK where concern about immigration was highest had the lowest level of immigrants. Very often, the more folks know particular other folks, the more they realise they're just like them.

benroe

Well this is the thing I'm sure that I would have a far more limited concept of what constitutes Anti-Semitism than the ADL would.

By anti-Semitism I mean racial hatred or prejudice against Jews on the grounds of their race.
When did jews become a race?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies