Have you observed any new trends in Irish Society lately?

General Urko

I think this really deserves in place on this forum rather than chat, because it directly relates to evolving culture and cultural attotudes.

I think the 2 standout things that I have been noticing quite a bit recently are -

Increased public soft drugs smoking, certainly there's a lot of going on in Galway and quite openly! I do not indulge, but I have no objections to it, except in the case of my mentaly ill niece who does it as I would worry that it may exacerbate her condition.

The much more widespread and accepted use of 'coarse/bad' language all over the airwaves and the printed page and it seems much more common here than abroad. Again, absolutely no objection, as it is a true rerflection of the way people actually speak here!

Well what have you noticed?

I heard it said that we are definitely seeing more same sex couples being affectionate to each other publically, which is again absolutely fine and indeed much more non Europeans/ Whiteys than before, on our streets, which is again absolutely fine by me!

I have also noticed much more women fully togged out in the 'veil' and indeed one lady completely togged out in a tent and I don't know how she can even see, while I would support to the last anybody's right to wear a hijab, I will always find it difficult to square a woman beiing fully togged out in this way as anything other than culturally imposed abuse of women with religion being used as an excuse for it! BTW When I lived in The Netherlands, I only ever remember seeing one woman in a veil, despite the city where I lived having may be 15% Islamic Population.

between the bridges

Aye, since the fall in sterling moi's noticed ye mexicants still cant fecking drive...

ger12

Inability to cope.

derryman

I have noticed that the ability to elaborate and debate ones point of view has been replaced with labelling and name calling.

GrainneDee

I think this really deserves in place on this forum rather than chat, because it directly relates to evolving culture and cultural attotudes.

I think the 2 standout things that I have been noticing quite a bit recently are -

Increased public soft drugs smoking, certainly there's a lot of going on in Galway and quite openly! I do not indulge, but I have no objections to it, except in the case of my mentaly ill niece who does it as I would worry that it may exacerbate her condition.

The much more widespread and accepted use of 'coarse/bad' language all over the airwaves and the printed page and it seems much more common here than abroad. Again, absolutely no objection, as it is a true rerflection of the way people actually speak here!

Well what have you noticed?

I heard it said that we are definitely seeing more same sex couples being affectionate to each other publically, which is again absolutely fine and indeed much more non Europeans/ Whiteys than before, on our streets, which is again absolutely fine by me!

I have also noticed much more women fully togged out in the 'veil' and indeed one lady completely togged out in a tent and I don't know how she can even see, while I would support to the last anybody's right to wear a hijab, I will always find it difficult to square a woman beiing fully togged out in this way as anything other than culturally imposed abuse of women with religion being used as an excuse for it! BTW When I lived in The Netherlands, I only ever remember seeing one woman in a veil, despite the city where I lived having may be 15% Islamic Population.
Well, I had a new first the other day of having to tell a young fella off for putting on make up in class...

GDPR

People are a lot fatter than they used to be.

Bad skin too. That used to be very rare in Ireland unless you had scabies or something.

Dullness. Once upon a time people were much livelier. Now they have a sort of febrile fake animation, interspersed with a general slumpishness.

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
Tractors can drive themselves more and nuns now wear tracksuits .....:shock:

Deadlock

I'm not back home in Ireland long - but a few things I've noticed already

- The same descent into truthines and post-factualism seen in much of the UK. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truthiness
- Shocking lack of manners - I was on a packed train durung the week and a woman ahead of me in her early to mid-fifties sat down and whipped off her shoes for the duration of her journey. There've always been rough diamonds but people seem to be putting up with so much more now.

blinding

I have fallen in Love with Donald Trump......

If enough people do, then society.......................

General Urko

I'm not back home in Ireland long - but a few things I've noticed already

- The same descent into truthines and post-factualism seen in much of the UK. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truthiness
- Shocking lack of manners - I was on a packed train durung the week and a woman ahead of me in her early to mid-fifties sat down and whipped off her shoes for the duration of her journey. There've always been rough diamonds but people seem to be putting up with so much more now.
Was their an odour?

Erudite Caveman

Nuns. Someone has put the none in to nuns.

I think someone is hiding them in ballot boxes, because that is the only time there is any sign of them.

Erudite Caveman

I concur. Bang of weed everywhere I go these days. And it ain't me.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies