• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Have you stopped buying newspapers because they are free online?

YesSireeeBob

and would you start buying them again if they started charging online?

I think newspapers will soon stop putting their papers online for free.Already the Tribune and the Post don't come online until 6pm on a sunday.

papers like the WSJ charge for their content as it's not easily obtained. Irish newspapers can do the same because while there's loads of international news on the internet, there isn't a great deal of Irish content.

Murdoch is going to start charging:
News Corp will charge for newspaper websites, says Rupert Murdoch | Media | guardian.co.uk

johnfás

papers like the WSJ charge for their content as it's not easily obtained. Irish newspapers can do the same because while there's loads of international news on the internet, there isn't a great deal of Irish content.
Really? The Irish Times tried it and failed so now offer free content - they obviously disagree with your analysis.

McDave

Not really. Lately I buy the IT about 4 times a week. The odd time the Indo. Sometimes the Sindo and more regularly the SB Post.

YesSireeeBob

Really? The Irish Times tried it and failed so now offer free content - they obviously disagree with your analysis.
early days yet.
It depends how it's affecting their sales how much it's making/losing. Also depends what the indo do. If the indo start charging the times will probably follow.

No. You can browse a page of a newspaper far easier than a list of online headlines. Easier to miss something important online.

I have to say I understand the Trib and the Post not putting their content online until late in the day. However, I think they are missing an opportunity in not putting up their headlines earlier as a teaser.

Malbekh

Hey. Sitting on a comfy chair on a Sunday morning, drinking a latte, sun streaming through the window, favourite paper in your hand and you still have the sports section to go. No, I ain't going online 'cause it ain't the same thing.

constitutionus

i only buy newspapers now on a speciality basis.

last time was the euro and council elections and im sure the next will be the lisbon referendum coverage.

i do have to say that when i do this i tend to buy the lot on the day , bar the redtops.

but beyond that the freebe paper on the way into work is pretty much all ill have on my person.

i get most of my news off the net now or the radio.

reuters has been playing a blinder during the whole lisbon affair where the mainstream irish seem to have handed in their NUJ membership for the duration. its really been disturbing to see the extent of burying of stories thatve gone on recently

its also alot easier to go direct to the source like live feeds on political debates and organisations like the CSO.

nothing wrong with papers though once you accept the fact your getting old news by the time its printed and hey, libraries DO have em for free :) :)

browse the headlines in easons though too if im honest.

baldur0300

I certainly still buy the paper. I don't mind reading stuff online but I like the feel of having a paper in my hand.

Fluter

I still like to buy newspapers, because it's different reading experience. Means I read most of the newspaper instead of just scanning headlines, when I read online. But I buy less than I used to and not sure that I would pay for online subscription. I get a lot of info from forums etc online anyway

Ecoguy

Only buy the Saturday Times now thanx to the net - occasionally buy the local paper too:)

The net has been a real boon for environmental/conservation news junkies like yours truely:D

gatsbygirl20

The newspapers will eventually have to charge. The "free news" on the internet is probably a whole other debate, which no doubt has already been covered. But the internet cannot forever piggy-back on the work of serious journalists. If it puts them out of business it may end up floundering in a morass of rumour, conspiracy theory, personal abuse and unsourced or unattributable assertion.

I buy the Irish Times most days---don't know why, its not that great. But it has always been my few minutes of stress-free time after work as I read it and have a coffee. When my son was a baby he would throw a tantrum when he saw the IT, as he knew he would not have my undivided attention for 10 mins! (or perhaps he couldn't take any more John Waters)

I read the Indo on-line. Its always good to know what the enemy is up to.

YesSireeeBob

I wonder how the recession will affect newspaper sales esp now people can get them free online.
I don't even know the price of papers, but I'd say you could easily spend 10-15 euro a week. so a 500-750 euro a year in savings. This is what might prompt newspapers to start charging, or even just put the headlines online.

darkhorse

charging for content has never worked on the internet and never will
think of youtube, facebook even p.ie - all free and great content
so if the IT revert to charging again then their online readers will move the the independant or the examiner, daily mail, bbc, sky, cnn, fox, etc, etc, there will always be some free ones available
however, i do buy sunday papers since i have the time to read them on sundays

gatsbygirl20

charging for content has never worked on the internet and never will
think of youtube, facebook even p.ie - all free and great content
so if the IT revert to charging again then their online readers will move the the independant or the examiner, daily mail, bbc, sky, cnn, fox, etc, etc, there will always be some free ones available
however, i do buy sunday papers since i have the time to read them on sundays
I wonder about that. There is an old-fashioned cohort who still like to hold the actual paper in their hand. As you get older and sight fails a bit, reading at any length on line----when you have to scroll----can be difficult.

I agree Youtube has wonderful content. Don't know Facebook but of course P.ie is great. The thing is, they are entertainment sites, so to speak. Who will pay for the journalists to go abroad and analyse the issues, and check sources and facts in Iraq or Afghanistan, for example? Or is it envisaged that ads. on these sites will pay for the content? I am a bit behind the curve on how all this works.

I know you can have citizen reporting---like the posters here who posted pics of the Luas/Bus crash and gave eye-witness accounts. But that's ok so long as we know we can depend on trained journalists checking sources to get the real story. We sort of take that for granted. Like teenagers telling their parents they're dumb and old-fashioned, only to discover when they go out on their own that they miss all those free meals and that sound advice.

termcg

Had a subscription to ireland.com before the irishtimes went free. Was pleasantly surprised they refunded me the remaining part of my subscription. Buy the odd paper when I am away from home or the office and so no (reasonably priced) internet.