Hawe family deaths inquest.

asset test

Started today.

I have to say I thought I could cope with many things, but the cold calculated way those people were killed chilled me to the bone. Horrific.

No drugs or alcohol found in Alan Hawe's system either.

Cold blooded, mental illness, or just plain abusive? I don't know. I doubt the inquest will find out any reason either, other than cause of death.

Even the Gardai were traumatised at the time, and again today giving evidence. One of the worst cases of violent death I can remember, but I am sure there were more.

I am not sure what I am asking, maybe just bringing the subject up again for debate.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/coroner-s-court/alan-hawe-sought-to-render-a-physical-challenge-less-likely-1.3331375

eoghanacht

A snippet I over heard in the radio today told of the woman's mother calling to the house to see the note attached to the front door.

The first words she said to a neighbour was I think he's killed them.

That alone tells us all we need to know about that bollox and the rein of terror he wrapped his family in.

Street angel and house devil.

tigerben

Well from what was said today
He wasn’t looking forward to going back to school where he worked.
A meeting was being held the following morning with him so it must be very very serious that he decided to murder his wife and children.
No alcohol or drugs and his Mother in law said he seemed normal .

So once we know what the meeting was about , we know why he killed them.
I can only say I’m so glad he isn’t resting with them in the grave . He has the look of a dominant man about him so I’d say her life wasn’t easy .

Congalltee

...Whatever issues you have with yourself or your spouse how someone can murder their children just doesn't make sense.
Suicide makes no sense, unless one believes in fairytales about an afterlife or is suffering from severe mental illness where sense has long since departed. Condolences to both their families.

ellie08

And he also made sure all funds were taken out of their joint account into his.

That poor woman. Can you imagine her family reading the papers about what a great fellow he was, always willing to help out blah blah blah. Piece of human excrement was all he was. And then his family held a memorial mass for him if I recall correctly, not in their town, but the town where Clodagh was from.

asset test

The boy's windpipes were cut. The eldest boy and his wife were killed first as the younger boys would have less options to fight him off.

Jesus I am sorry now but how could any surviving family member recover from that scenario. And his wife was bludgeoned with an axe.

I know I might sound voyeuristic. Far from it. I just cannot understand it, and my visions are with those killed in such a barbaric fashion that morning.

sic transit

And he also made sure all funds were taken out of their joint account into his.

That poor woman. Can you imagine her family reading the papers about what a great fellow he was, always willing to help out blah blah blah. Piece of human excrement was all he was. And then his family held a memorial mass for him if I recall correctly, not in their town, but the town where Clodagh was from.
The problem about redefining the dead is that they cannot answer. I'm not sure either it is fair to his family to be included in your very clear views of the man. As for memories we all have different connections with individuals, some of them wholly positive and it is perfectly natural to seek out such memories when people die. What bothers me most about these cases is why those inclined to die can't just do what they need to do for themselves alone and allow others their lives.

Sweet Darling

The boy's windpipes were cut. The eldest boy and his wife were killed first as the younger boys would have less options to fight him off.

Jesus I am sorry now but how could any surviving family member recover from that scenario. And his wife was bludgeoned with an axe.

I know I might sound voyeuristic. Far from it. I just cannot understand it, and my visions are with those killed in such a barbaric fashion that morning.
Evil exists. He dominated them in life, and he was not going to allow them a life free of him if he had done the decent thing and killed himself only.

Last edited:

Sweet Darling

The problem about redefining the dead is that they cannot answer. I'm not sure either it is fair to his family to be included in your very clear views of the man. As for memories we all have different connections with individuals, some of them wholly positive and it is perfectly natural to seek out such memories when people die. What bothers me most about these cases is why those inclined to die can't just do what they need to do for themselves alone and allow others their lives.
People who top themselves in such a manner so that the body will be found by a member of there family is designed to punish the family for life, for whatever warped reason.

I know of one case where a father hung himself in the family home knowing that the body was going to be discovered by the wife and young kids when they walked in the door.
He should have done the decent thing and wrapped he's car around a pole. at leased the family would have being able to claim the insurance.

Last edited:

ellie08

Do you not think his family having a memorial mass in her home town (or at least the town where they both lived) rather than the parents own town where he grew up was insensitive to say the least? I would consider that behaviour extremely cruel to Clodagh's family given the circumstances. Poor Clodagh was lovely as were her boys. She could have done much better than that thing. He probably resented that.

effer

Do you not think his family having a memorial mass in her home town (or at least the town where they both lived) rather than the parents own town where he grew up was insensitive to say the least? I would consider that behaviour extremely cruel to Clodagh's family given the circumstances. Poor Clodagh was lovely as were her boys. She could have done much better than that thing. He probably resented that.
Did you know her?

sic transit

I don't judge how people choose to remember the departed. When people die, whatever the circumstances, families make decisions that satisfy their own need to mourn.

ellie08

I don't judge how people choose to remember the departed. When people die, whatever the circumstances, families make decisions that satisfy their own need to mourn.
I judge them for doing it in the town where she was murdered. They could have done it in their own town. That was a considered decision and out of the way for them. They made a statement. Next thing we'll hear she brought it on herself.

sic transit

I judge them for doing it in the town where she was murdered. They could have done it in their own town.
Your prerogative. They lost a child in a most unpleasant way as well so their prerogative to honour him as they saw fit.

ellie08

Your prerogative. They lost a child in a most unpleasant way as well so their prerogative to honour him as they saw fit.
No thought for her family though? Sorry, we'll disagree on this. And he wan't a child. He was a murderer who planned his wife and three children's execution. Then transferred money so that her family wouldn't be entitled to any of it. Made sure her family were the ones that found them and his family knew all this. And yet still they did that. I'd describe it as cruel. Murderers of children don't deserve masses anyway.

asset test

I reckon the local community and schools know more than we, or anyone else do about this awful murder suicide.

But we will never know now. Just a verdict as to cause of death. Poor little defenceless kids and wife. Jaysus.

MaireadKelly1

Personally, I think that everyone in both families and in the community must have been reeling at the horrific tragedy.
I would not be too judgmental about decisions taken by any of them in the immediate aftermath.

sic transit

No thought for her family though? Sorry, we'll disagree on this. And he wan't a child. He was a murderer who planned his wife and three children's execution. Then transferred money so that her family wouldn't be entitled to any of it. Made sure her family were the ones that found them and his family knew all this. And yet still they did that. I'd describe it as cruel. Murderers of children don't deserve masses anyway.
To them he was their child and in a case like this their focus. Masses are just a way of remembering the dead, offering comfort and extremely ephemeral. The absence for both sets of families is not. The money thing is more of a slugfest for lawyers and probably not as simple as you make it out to be.