• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Headway: A Good News Story

statsman

Headway, a charity that works with people with acquired brain injuries, have bought the old AIB building on Williams Street and plan to turn it into an educational and office space encompassing 'rehabilitation, vocational training, counselling, community integration services, family support and local co-ordination services' for their clients. This will mean they move from their current inadequate offices on the Dock Road to a city-centre location with appropriate facilities.

The purchase was funded by JP McManus.

Headway start work on new home at former bank in Limerick city - Home - Limerick Leader

Last edited:

dizillusioned

Why did they buy and not rent like most busineses?
Rent is sometimes much dearer than purchasing.....Good for Headway. I know Charities have been having a hard time of it lately, but you cannot tarnish ALL charities with the same brush based on the actions of a few (sound advice in general for all aspects of society)

greengoose2

THE former AIB in William Street is to be transformed over the coming months, after the charity received the keys to the premises.
Thanks to funding from JP McManus, the charity – which exists to help people with acquired brain injuries – was able to purchase the unit, and is planning to transform the three storey building into an educational centre and office use.

Polly Ticks

I presume buying rather than renting also demonstrates a long-term commitment to the project and can only be interpreted as a positive sign.

realistic1

Headway, a charity that works with people with acquired brain injuries, have bought the old AIB building on Williams Street and plan to turn it into an educational and office space encompassing 'rehabilitation, vocational training, counselling, community integration services, family support and local co-ordination services' for their clients. This will mean they move from their current inadequate offices on the Dock Road to a city-centre location with appropriate facilities.

Headway start work on new home at former bank in Limerick city - Home - Limerick Leader
Parking wise it is not the best location, but best of luck to them.

statsman

They were given the money to buy. They need to do a huge amount of work that no landlord would tolerate/fund, the biggest being putting in a lift. They need certainty for the long haul.

darkhorse

Rent is sometimes much dearer than purchasing.....Good for Headway. I know Charities have been having a hard time of it lately, but you cannot tarnish ALL charities with the same brush based on the actions of a few (sound advice in general for all aspects of society)
Problem arise if you outgrow the premises though ...
Its a lot of upfront cash

statsman

Parking wise it is not the best location, but best of luck to them.
True, although there may be some parking at the back, and Cornmarket Place and Summer Street aren't too far away.

Watcher2

Brilliant. I didn't realize they had operations here. I have had some contact with some of their branches in the UK though work. Good outfit and do some good work.

dizillusioned

What is supposed to be a Salary for a CEO in the Charity Sector?

I know this is a hot topic at home, but people cannot work for free all the time. Volunteers are a vital part of any Charity, but some staff need to get paid. OK not 600K...

I say good luck to Headway in this project.

Lúidín

Will salaries be published or will it take a couple of years for the information to be available to the donating public?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies