• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Health Insurance: Not affordable now

greengoose2

Is the Indo scaremongering or is Reilly making another mess?

Health insurance fees to soar 50pc next year

THere's quite a bit of supposition in that article but 50% seems totally off the wall.

Stuff like this quote is simply astounding. How can there be this huge difference?

"Given that the public hospitals will now be able to charge around €1,000 per night instead of €75 per night for these beds, the impact will be significant," said Mr Goode, of www.health insurancesavings.ie.

"There is no doubt that this will be passed on."

crashplan

So everyone drops their health insurance and the public health system folds under the pressure??

nakatomi

THere's quite a bit of supposition in that article but 50% seems totally off the wall.

Stuff like this quote is simply astounding. How can there be this huge difference?
seeing as they have been raising it at 20- 25% p.a. for the last 4 years I would not be suprised.
What will be really interesting, is when it becomes compulsory to have insurance.

As for the difference between private and public bed charges- this is academic as both beds probably cost taxpayers 1500 per day.

75 euro is what the hospital charged for a " public" bedin a 6 bedded ward, as opposed to 1500 in a private 5 bedded ward

nakatomi

How will the social welfare beneficiaries pay this insurance? Like they will be paying the household tax I suppose!
There will be safety nets for those who are below a current income threshold - much like the current medical card system

Goa Tse

In the words of Grandpa Simpson: "A little from column A, a little from column B"

jpc

There seems to be intellectual as well as financial shortfalls in that department.

deepness

Certainly can't afford 50% rise in this cost. Its expensive enough as it is...

mido

it will only be 5% if you live in swords or balbriggan....

tokkie

I think he has slightly more credibility than you all the same !
No he doesn't!! He's a chancer. :) If you think credibility is based on having a job in the Indo then you're quite deluded.

asknoquestions

They're trying to make the system the same as the German system. But the Germans have had health insurance since Bismarck's time and the system has been evolving since then, I don't think it can be grafted onto the system in Ireland in just a few years.

ger12

ger12

Health insurance will rise considerably as public hospitals charge for the services provided to private patients. They should be charging their private patients shouldn't they?

greengoose2

Health insurance will rise considerably as public hospitals charge for the services provided to private patients. They should be charging their private patients shouldn't they?
Yes! However, if those premiums go up 50% there will be many borderline cases when the people will simply not have enough monet to pay. Do they then stop paying, take a chance and go public?

Aristodemus

In the words of Grandpa Simpson: "A little from column A, a little from column B"
Correct. They are not mutually exclusive propositions

tokkie

Yes! However, if those premiums go up 50% there will be many borderline cases when the people will simply not have enough monet to pay. Do they then stop paying, take a chance and go public?
Yes. I opted out of private health insurance about three years ago. We kept it for the children, just in case, but for myself and my wife, we will go public if we have to. We could not afford it any more for all the family.

damus

Why on earth should you pay for a private bed when all you are getting is a public bed? If I am paying for a private bed, I expect a charge to be levied only if am occupying a private bed in a private room in a public hospital. To do otherwise is a breach in the T&C's of my contract! So now we can expect a 50% increase in PHI premia by charging private patients irrespective of whether they are occupying a private bed or not, on top of another 20% when he eventually introduces risk equalisation!

An article by Susan Mitchell in todays SBP sheds some light on the new PHI levy that is going to be introduced as part of risk equalisation. Under the proposed scheme, the DoHC will replace the current temporary levy with two levy rates, a lower rate for services that are accessed in public hospitals, and a higher rate for patients who opt to access services in private hospitals. Under the scheme, policyholders who choose PHI policies with the lower levy will not be allowed to have two thirds of their care paid for by insurers in private hospitals, meaning that they'll have to pay the difference! The likely result of this kind of measure is increased pressure on the public scheme as more patients opt for public only care, which will only go towards reinforcing the existing inequities in the system around public/private access. According to sources in the industry, there is also likely to be legal challenge to this type of scheme when it is introduced on the grounds of competition law.
Seemingly, he's also planning to introduce a 90 day notice period for changes to existing and new products (other than premia changes), which will mean that while insurers will be required to submit any new procedures or new drugs that are being covered by their policies for approval by the Dept, those changes will only take effect from Jan 1 each year. So effectively, if you have PHI you won't be able to get access to new procedures or drugs until Jan 1 of the following year.

You know what - people should just decide to use private hospitals only for elective - and public if it's an emergency! Private patients should just vote with their pocket because you'd only be liable for an in-patient charge of €85 per day or €850 max per year if you go public! Just take their income - that's my motto!

Families are facing €200 increase in annual cost of health insurance - Surviving the Recession, Personal Finance - Independent.ie

Health insurance fees to soar 50pc next year - National News - Independent.ie