• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

health minisister promoting pubs

Carl Claudius

Did anyone else heard our health minister(who does not look very healthy himself) on the radio yesterday. He wants to jack up the price of booze in the off licences and bring it down in the pubs to bring more business to the latter? It seems the publicans are still a powerful lobby.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
Is he trying to buy a round (vote)?

Equinox

Did anyone else heard our health minister(who does not look very healthy himself) on the radio yesterday. He wants to jack up the price of booze in the off licences and bring it down in the pubs to bring more business to the latter? It seems the publicans are still a powerful lobby.
It seems like a sensible idea. The pub is a moderated social enviornment, the new pattern of drinking that involves sinking a couple of bottles of wine each at home because you don't have far to fall from the sofa is a far more dangerous patten of drinking, as is the trend towards drinking half a bottle of vodka before heading out.

Carl Claudius

It seems like a sensible idea. The pub is a moderated social enviornment, the new pattern of drinking that involves sinking a couple of bottles of wine each at home because you don't have far to fall from the sofa is a far more dangerous patten of drinking, as is the trend towards drinking half a bottle of vodka before heading out.
the onus is on the individual, not the government to control drinking. enough of the nanny state!
Publicans are peeved cos they want to rip off customers and people are opting to drink at home instead. I have four cans from the offi for the price of a pint.

I can smoke at home, invite in who I want, choose my own music, sit on chair that do not look at if they have been taken from the skip and go to jax that is not a disgusting mess.

cillian32

I support him 100% on this.....The pub trade is in need of a boost and can create thosands of jobs that are badly needed.Good move FG.......AT LAST!

Crazy horse 6

Our minister for health could do with one or two less drinks himself. I'm no health expert but he's prime material for a heart attack with that belly and big red face.

Carl Claudius

I support him 100% on this.....The pub trade is in need of a boost and can create thosands of jobs that are badly needed.Good move FG.......AT LAST!
if they want the custom they should stop screwing the customers. What do they offer? You pay more than five euro a beer in Dublin. you can have just as much craic at home. Leave the pubs to the tourists.

tigerben

How many politicans or their families are publicans? As for a tax on drink to be "ring fenced " we already pay the a major amount of tax on acohol. The amount of alcohol being drank has fallen in the last couple of years, but like the Electrity, health insurance , gas and petrol because we're cutting down we must pay more to keep thoses in the industry with the same amount of profits.

Carl Claudius

Our minister for health could do with one or two less drinks himself. I'm no health expert but he's prime material for a heart attack with that belly and big red face.
what says Doctor Eva?

his statement yesterday sounded like someone who has plenty of cash and is completely out of touch. a lot of people are unemployed and cannot fork out to go to a pub. drinking at home with friends is the cheaper option.

Carl Claudius

How many politicans or their families are publicans? As for a tax on drink to be "ring fenced " we already pay the a major amount of tax on acohol. The amount of alcohol being drank has fallen in the last couple of years, but like the Electrity, health insurance , gas and petrol because we're cutting down we must pay more to keep thoses in the industry with the same amount of profits.
about three euro on every bottle of wine goes to the government.

Crazy horse 6

Will be stocking up the van on the annual camping trip home from France this summer. You can get excellent bottles of vino for as little as 2.50 a bottle and if you know what your looking for the quality is excellent. Wine like most things is a complete and utter rip off in ireland.

D

Dylan2010

your attempt to weave a path through the nexus of the nanny state and dumb Oirish behavior is amusing. If taxes werent so high or pub prices so high, I dont people would need to drink "half a bottle of vodka before heading out". Its personal responsibility, nothing more nothing less

Last edited:

cillian32

if they want the custom they should stop screwing the customers. What do they offer? You pay more than five euro a beer in Dublin. you can have just as much craic at home. Leave the pubs to the tourists.
I agree the pubs arnt helping themselfs ,they need to do more.Maybe its just me but i hate drinking at home .....I long for the good auld days of a busy local .

tigerben

They'd soon miss the money when we start buying in bulk aboard! I mean a take out and a bottle of cheap plonk is now a luxury ! And is most people's Friday night after working hard all week.

wombat

Depends where you drink, mind you, I got an infraction here because I posted about being ripped off in a popular tourist district in Dublin. Reilly's point, which I agree with is that drinking at home before going out on the tear leads to more drunkeness than drinking in the pub.
One of the original purposes of the pub was to restrict drinking to adult males, out of sight of children. Not all changes have been for the overall good.

He's consistent for once.

He's long been a stalwart supporter of the drinks industry.

Analyzer

Another farce from the parallel universe that is political authority in ths country.

Just wondering....but when was the last time we did not have an obese Minister for health.

We even had boozers holding the office, and the odd smoker as well.

And rarely do we see a public discussion on the matter in the compromised media. Too busy pleasing "our avertising sponsors".

wombat

I agree the pubs arnt helping themselfs ,they need to do more.Maybe its just me but i hate drinking at home .....I long for the good auld days of a busy local .
Same here, I guess some of us look at it as a social activity more than consuming alcohol.

Equinox

the onus is on the individual, not the government to control drinking. enough of the nanny state!
Publicans are peeved cos they want to rip off customers and people are opting to drink at home instead. I have four cans from the offi for the price of a pint.

I can smoke at home, invite in who I want, choose my own music, sit on chair that do not look at if they have been taken from the skip and go to jax that is not a disgusting mess.
I don't entirely disagree, but I'd see this as a correction of a previous, and massive mistake, the deregulation of off-sales.

These days pretty much every, spar, londis and corner shop is effectively an off-licence, Christ, my local corner shop that happens to be a Londis is in fact more offie then shop, I can't even buy half the things I used to pick up there on my way home because of the amount of space given over to fridges of beer. It's the same with the next nearest shop, this caused the very nice family run local off-licence to eventually shut down, unable to compete which was sad, they had a very good selection of wines. What's worse is the fact that the family run offie would keep kids out, I very much doubt the spotty teenagers at the till in spar are as diligent.

This was government policy that was responsible for a major shift in drinking patterns, as was the moralistic punitave VAT hikes which meant that pubs simply couldn't compete with supermarkets on when it came to controlling costs. This government medling has caused a serious shift in the patterns of drinking and should be reversed. Pubs, with their social atmosphere and requirement to stop drinking and go home at the end of the night should be cheaper places to frequent.

As for:
"I can smoke at home, invite in who I want, choose my own music, sit on chair that do not look at if they have been taken from the skip and go to jax that is not a disgusting mess."

Or, you know, you could just go to a pub with a nice smoking section where they play decent music and staff clean the bogs, I know many such pubs and avoid others that meet your description, so why don't you?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies