Health Minister orders review in Nursing and Midwifery body as legal firm trousers millions in fees

ruman

Simon Harris has ordered an external review into governance at the NMBI after legal firm McDowell Purcell/ Kingfisher earned €4.5 million in fees.

Personally would like to see this review extended to the Irish Medical Council. The same legal firms are involved with that body and would it be a surprise if legal firms were not even higher.

"The payments include €4.5 million for McDowell Purcell solicitors, the firm representing the board at such hearings. The board also paid €1.35 million to Arthur Cox, €1.2 million to Mason Hayes Curran and €578,000 to Beauchamps solicitors for other legal services."

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Weird when politicians order 'reviews' of something they are supposed to be overseeing in regulatory terms in any case.

Could be no more than the usual spin of making government look as if is appalled ... busily finding out more ... distancing terminology and language in the print coverage.

Etc and so forth.

Patslatt1

Ministers are good at closing stable doors and ordering studies of horse manure after the horses have bolted.
To contain crazy costs on the St James Childrens' Hospital, even as the structure has risen well above ground with about five giant cranes there,engineers are now supposedly engineering out a lot of the luxurious specs ordered by hospital consultants

Myers Mimnagh

I’m afraid all this only points in one direction.... the Health Service and the legal eagles and coining the taxpayers dollah big time.

Only conclusion any sane person can come to, I would suggest.

Buchaill Dana

Is this not a private representative body? If so, why has the minister any say? If they want to spunk members subs, up to the members.

Buchaill Dana

I’m afraid all this only points in one direction.... the Health Service and the legal eagles and coining the taxpayers dollah big time.

Only conclusion any sane person can come to, I would suggest.
I would assume legal fees would be a large part of any unions, and thats what this effectively is, expense base.

Why is this a ministerial issue?

ruman

I would assume legal fees would be a large part of any unions, and thats what this effectively is, expense base.

Why is this a ministerial issue?
Both the HSE and the Department of Health make "contributions" to this organisation

ruman

Good for them. Doesnt give them control.
Never said it did. A donor would expect proper corporate governance procedures to be in place. Ultimately the members flagged failngs at this organisation.

Legal fees appear to be excessive and with the board failing to address preciously highlighted concerns. Important that these matters are investigated independently to maintain public confidence in nursing and midwifery. Lets not forget that this is the body that investigates poor standards in nursing. The department of health is of course entitled to raise concerns given the potential impact on patient safety.

Buchaill Dana

Never said it did. A donor would expect proper corporate governance procedures to be in place. Ultimately the members flagged failngs at this organisation.

Legal fees appear to be excessive and with the board failing to address preciously highlighted concerns. Important that these matters are investigated independently to maintain public confidence in nursing and midwifery. Lets not forget that this is the body that investigates poor standards in nursing. The department of health is of course entitled to raise concerns given the potential impact on patient safety.
Raise concerns, of course. Order action? Not so sure.

ruman

Raise concerns, of course. Order action? Not so sure.
Order a review ,the results of which would determine if action is merited. The failings were highlighted by members , unfortunately the issues dont appear to have been addressed. Hence the requirement for a review.

ruman

Legal fees come in two flavours - excessive and outrageous.
You can see the logic i guess in these supposedly independent regulatory bodies acting as overseers of the medical professions. However given they are largely funded by members you'd wonder how independent they truly are. The medical council seems to ever take disciplinery action against non Irish junior doctors.

That said i'd question the size of the legal fees if i was paying these annual subs.

There's also the question as to why the HSE isnt dealing with sub performing employees, its not like they dont have enough highly paid managers. What on earth they are all doing i'm not entirely sure.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I suspect one of the most long-standing financial scandals in Irish public life will emerge from this sort of area in the end.

I look forward to the tabling of questions in the Oireachtas calculated to reveal the extent to which public money has been used to shove matters of governance under the carpet.

There has been a dull background murmur of cheques attached to non-disclosure agreements for a long time from the HSE and it would be interesting to say the least to hear what the sum overall of such costs are in the last decade.

In other words how much money has been attached to NDA's by the health services executive in the last ten years.

At the moment there is a debate emerging in the UK over the use of NDAs by wealthy people to escape transparency and detection in crime.

Getting someone to sign an NDA in return for a cheque is a form of buying one's way out of transparency and governance.

Ardillaun

In Canada, legal procedure rarely comes up as a topic of conversation. Lawyers just get on with their work quietly and efficiently. They don’t dominate the landscape, thank God.

ruman

In Canada, legal procedure rarely comes up as a topic of conversation. Lawyers just get on with their work quietly and efficiently. They don’t dominate the landscape, thank God.
Nice pension top ups for rètired medical cosultants preparing all those medical expert reports also. Even a pretty basic one will earn you a few grand. If it requires a court / regulatttoory body appearance adds a bit more. Do a few of them on top of your consultants pension a year and you're coining it.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies