• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Heated Debate feat. the Wolfe Tones & others (late late)

st333ve

Interesting heated debate. (or row)

<object width='425' height='366'><param name='movie' value='http://www.youtube.com/cp/vjVQa1PpcFOaJrX6W-EIdbzwrkCO8lb32M7X3mrj3n0='></param><param name='wmode' value='transparent'><embed src='http://www.youtube.com/cp/vjVQa1PpcFOaJrX6W-EIdbzwrkCO8lb32M7X3mrj3n0=' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='transparent' width='425' height='366'></embed></object>

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
that was classic.. Fintan came off like a right tool. and as for Ian O Doherty

Jesus wept

st333ve

He's obviously only concerned with bad mouthing republican wrong doings.
I had to laugh when he said "no-one sings about catholics being killed, bloody sunday etc".

I take it he's never been to a loyalist bar or bonfire.
Complete one sided ignorance.
Im not a great fan of the Wolfe Tones i like a few of their songs, but in their defence i have to say that they barely got a chance to speak over the accusations people were flinging at them.
They sing songs about the past and about what happened in Ireland, they tell it like it is without the whole "both sides are as bad as eachother" nonsence, on whole i think theyre just a bit of craic theyre not taken seriously, they do sing songs about peace and they do desire it.

merle haggard

Re: Heated Debate feat. the Wolfe Tones & others (late l

st333ve said:

<object width='425' height='366'><param name='movie' value='http://www.youtube.com/cp/vjVQa1PpcFOaJrX6W-EIdbzwrkCO8lb32M7X3mrj3n0='></param><param name='wmode' value='transparent'><embed src='http://www.youtube.com/cp/vjVQa1PpcFOaJrX6W-EIdbzwrkCO8lb32M7X3mrj3n0=' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='transparent' width='425' height='366'></embed></object>
usually i canst stand you but thankyou , seriously for posting this . Best late late show ever . I apologise for all my past criticisms of your posts . You have now earned my respect for posting this absolute gem .

Irelands foremost intellectual exposed for the cringing reactionary bollix he is when it comes to the occupation of his own country . To lose a debate so convincingly with the wolfe tones is quite spectacular , and indeed telling as regards the merits of your political position . Irelands media exposed as the useless fecking sham it is .

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie

merle haggard said:
st333ve said:

usually i canst stand you but thankyou , seriously for posting this . Best late late show ever . I apologise for all my past criticisms of your posts . You have now earned my respect for posting this absolute gem .
The really funny part about that night Merle, was that the Tones didn't even have to try. From the moment the crowd cheered them, and booed TinTin.. he was on a loser, and didn't know how to crawl out of a hole.

The complaint about the line "and blow you all to hell" was hilarious. I was half waiting for him to start crying about how they were wishing "seagulls would attack British people as well". It couldn't have gotten more surreal.

Or the look on the face of the audience member next to Ian O Doherty. And his body language. Did you see him trying to sit away from him when O Doherty was on camera, in a way saying to anyone viewing, "I'm not with this fecking gobshite".

The Tones once made a very salient comment, though not sure was it that night or another. It ties in with the truism, that the truth comes out in drink. No more so than for Irish people.

And when Irish people are drunk.. they don't sing U2 songs.. or other "sucessful" Irish artists ... they sing rebel songs. Because whether or not they agree with the IRA and its campaign.. the vast majority of Irish people do agree that what was done in this country by the British, for hundreds of years was wrong, and that wrong has yet to be righted.

And before anyone decides to start haranguing me or others as being anti-British.. I am not. I have great time from British people. However, the British administration and Government do not have a right to interfere in Irish self determination. That's my opinion.

jerryp

"And when Irish people are drunk.. they don't sing U2 songs.. or other "sucessful" Irish artists ... they sing rebel songs "
I'm inclined to think it might apply to postings on this site as well !

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
jerryp said:
"And when Irish people are drunk.. they don't sing U2 songs.. or other "sucessful" Irish artists ... they sing rebel songs "
Nel vino la verità

cactus flower

jerryp said:
They obviously were sober when they voted (in my mind disastrously) to amend Articles 2 and 3.

merle haggard

rockofcashel said:
merle haggard said:
st333ve said:

The really funny part about that night Merle, was that the Tones didn't even have to try. From the moment the crowd cheered them, and booed TinTin.. he was on a loser, and didn't know how to crawl out of a hole.

The complaint about the line "and blow you all to hell" was hilarious. I was half waiting for him to start crying about how they were wishing "seagulls would attack British people as well". It couldn't have gotten more surreal.

Or the look on the face of the audience member next to Ian O Doherty. And his body language. Did you see him trying to sit away from him when O Doherty was on camera, in a way saying to anyone viewing, "I'm not with this fecking gobshite".

The Tones once made a very salient comment, though not sure was it that night or another. It ties in with the truism, that the truth comes out in drink. No more so than for Irish people.

And when Irish people are drunk.. they don't sing U2 songs.. or other "sucessful" Irish artists ... they sing rebel songs. Because whether or not they agree with the IRA and its campaign.. the vast majority of Irish people do agree that what was done in this country by the British, for hundreds of years was wrong, and that wrong has yet to be righted.

And before anyone decides to start haranguing me or others as being anti-British.. I am not. I have great time from British people. However, the British administration and Government do not have a right to interfere in Irish self determination. That's my opinion.
funny enough i was staying off the drink that night so sat in and watched it . Wish Id gone to the pub because apparently the whole place was cheering them on going bananas . I cant forget ODohertys antics , tin tin was nearly crying , deeply deeply disappointed with the audience . Plank Kenny was itching to get stuck in but lost his bottle when it was clear tin tin had lost the plot .
Thats precisely what happens though when you in all seriousness advance the opinion on national television that the root cause of the anglo Irish conflcit was in fact a somewhat mediocre 4 piece ballad group with an addiction to sideburns. Its idiotic and you sound like an idiot . And when its on telly and not radio you look like an idiot .
I dont hav tin tins e-mail address handy but i believe this should be mailed to him and odoherty everytime they open their stupid mouths about the north , just to remind them they lost a debate with the wolfe tones who werent even trying .

mwah mwah hahahahah..yehhh

Fr. Hank Tree

They're still a bunch of tribalistic morons. Of course they didn't cause the troubles or incite hatred, that's a stupid point. People would have their minds made up long before going to their concerts.

But FOT was right that they do NOT sing about Irishness, but a very narrow politicised aspect of it.

However, they do do a good Slievenamon.

Trefor

Website
oclmenai.blogspot.com
:lol:

Thanks for that Steve - one of the funniest things I've seen in years.

I saw the Wolftones once, so I suppose that I must be one of the 'lowest of the low' that guy in the audience was on about.

The Dublin City Ramblers used to finish their tours of the UK with a gig in this town (with us being near Holyhead) back in the 70s & 80s. They were always a sell out & usually not a single Irish bloke in the audience.

merle haggard

Fr. Hank Tree said:
They're still a bunch of tribalistic morons. Of course they didn't cause the troubles or incite hatred, that's a stupid point. People would have their minds made up long before going to their concerts.

But FOT was right that they do NOT sing about Irishness, but a very narrow politicised aspect of it.

However, they do do a good Slievenamon.
Id disagree . approximately half their songs arent even political . Its only the rousing ones that we pay most attention to . And frankly songs about what passes for current Iirishness ," come on Man Utd Im off to the garden centre in my new Beamer off my head on cocaine because my ISSA just came in" just dont have the same ring to them as Joe McDonnell

westkerryblue

I love the wolfe tones and I believe their rebels songs remind us all of what it means to be Irish, but only the old IRA songs and non political ones.Songs about joe mcdonell and post treaty IRA have have nothing to do with the Irish tradition.true Irish people and Irish nationalists cannot identify with any songs that celebrate anyone in an organisation that kills innocent people who are as bad as the west brits in my view.I blame the brits for the violence in the 6 but the post treaty Ira still killed innocent civilians

Trefor

Website
oclmenai.blogspot.com
Are you really arguing that the pre Treaty IRA managed to avoid killing civilians?

merle haggard

westkerryblue said:
I love the wolfe tones and I believe their rebels songs remind us all of what it means to be Irish, but only the old IRA songs and non political ones.Songs about joe mcdonell and post treaty IRA have have nothing to do with the Irish tradition.true Irish people and Irish nationalists cannot identify with any songs that celebrate anyone in an organisation that kills innocent people who are as bad as the west brits in my view.I blame the brits for the violence in the 6 but the post treaty Ira still killed innocent civilians
The IRA killed innocent people pre 1922 , as did the 1916 rebels , the fenians and the united Irishmen . The Irish tradition of resistance to foreign occupation most certainly did not come to an end in 1922 . Joe McDonnell only narrowly missed being elected as a TD . The Wolfe Tones song about him went into the Irish charts top ten . His fellow hungerstriker Kieran Doherty was elected as a TD . Bobby sands funeral was the biggest since Terence MacSwineys . ALbums by Christy Moore sold by the truckload containing other songs about those hungerstrikers and indeed even written by those hungerstrikers . To attempt to write this out of the Irish tradition is preposterous . Back Home in Derry not a song with any connection to the Irish tradition ?

wise up man . Your position is as illogical as OTooles .

Fir Bolg

westkerryblue said:
What age are you son? Instead of posting idiotic comments highlighting your ignorance and nieveity on an internet forum, maybe you should spend some time reading up on Irish history, in particular the period from 1914 to 1923.

merle haggard

Fir Bolg said:
westkerryblue said:
What age are you son? Instead of posting idiotic comments highlighting your ignorance and nieveity on an internet forum, maybe you should spend some time reading up on Irish history, in particular the period from 1914 to 1923.
sadly he could be 50 years of age . Sounds like a bloody TD

Fir Bolg

merle haggard said:

Irelands foremost intellectual exposed for the cringing reactionary bollix he is when it comes to the occupation of his own country . To lose a debate so convincingly with the wolfe tones is quite spectacular , and indeed telling as regards the merits of your political position . Irelands media exposed as the useless fecking sham it is .
The Adams ambush on the Late Late (I think it was around the first ceasefire 1994) was another gem. If I remember correctly, he done Uncle Gaybo first, followed by Austin Currie. Hugh Leonard and Dermot Ahern were also on and another I can't remember off the top of my head.

Trefor

Website
oclmenai.blogspot.com
merle haggard said:
[quote="Fir Bolg":f09oudgm]
westkerryblue said:
sadly he could be 50 years of age . Sounds like a bloody TD[/quote:f09oudgm]

Or a journalist perhaps.

I wonder what Fintan's doing at the moment.