• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Helicopter crashes into skyscraper crane in London.

bob3367

On sky news now, a private helicopter has crashed and has fallen onto a road in Vaxhall London.

Its a fluid situation..

Fire is on the ground, and 2confirmed dead.

A view from England

The helicopter hit a crane. There looks to be a low cloud base. The crane was tied to the side if a very large tower block that is being built and the crane protruded onto the top of the building.

A view from England

2 confirmed dead.

bob3367

The lucky person who was taken from a burning car, needs to do the lottery.

Helicopter bits on fire, lands on your car, and you walk away, well done firemen...

TheWexfordInn

There was dense fog around when I left for work at quarter to eight, to me who knows nothing about helicopters I would have said it was madness trying to fly a helicopter in those conditions.

bob3367

Hitch 22

It seems that the helicopter is an Augusta 109 that may have taken off from Battersby heliport which is upriver to the west and flew down the Thames toward the St. George Wharf Tower clipping the crane fixed to the side of the building before spiraling out of control and crashing in flames near Vauxhall station. At least one car was on fire and burning fuel and debris was littered on the roadway and on roof tops of buildings.

The twisted wreckage of the crane following the collision in heavy fog.

The site of the crash is in the foreground. The St. George Wharf Tower is the top left of the photo.

Fire and debris on the roadway.

An Augusta 109 similar to the one believed to have crashed.

Last edited:

Happytolearn

I'm in Camberwell - just up the road. Heard the sirens. Imagine seeing something like that happen! Dreadful

bob3367

I'm in Camberwell - just up the road. Heard the sirens. Imagine seeing something like that happen! Dreadful
Sky had a man on, and he was clearly very very shook by the experience.....

Aindriu

There was dense fog around when I left for work at quarter to eight, to me who knows nothing about helicopters I would have said it was madness trying to fly a helicopter in those conditions.
I wonder if the pilot was qualified to fly at IFR level i.e. on instruments only?

Happytolearn

Sky had a man on, and he was clearly very very shook by the experience.....
My friend cycled through just after - she said it was pandemonium - very sad about the poor pilot. Is the other fatality a pedestrian?

lies

Twitter
yes
I wonder if the pilot was qualified to fly at IFR level i.e. on instruments only?
Sky has had a helicopter pilot on today that flies that route, who said that the light on the crane would NOT have been visible, and that you can't avoid what you can't see... And that navigation at that point is purely visible.

He was obv flying low to try and stay out of the fog/mist; seems like a horrible bit of bad luck.

Aindriu

Sky has had a helicopter pilot on today that flies that route, who said that the light on the crane would NOT have been visible, and that you can't avoid what you can't see... And that navigation at that point is purely visible.

He was obv flying low to try and stay out of the fog/mist; seems like a horrible bit of bad luck.
I suspect you are right. My condolences to the families of those who have lost loved ones and my thoughts to those caught up in it for the shock and stress caused.

bob3367

My friend cycled through just after - she said it was pandemonium - very sad about the poor pilot. Is the other fatality a pedestrian?
Dunno, there is one critical in hospital.

sidney higginbottom

could be an issue - as much of an issue might be that the conditions detiorated from VFR to IFR while in flight, and certainly i've heard/read stuff online about there being a divert in place, but a) whether thats true, and b) what the details are, i've no idea.

the current pictures show fog - the top of the tower/crane is not visible from the ground, so one would have to assume that visibility would be pretty dire. one eyewitness - who one must assume is vaguely familiar with watching the helicopters use the nearby heliport - said that they thought the helicopter 'turned the wrong way'. what credibility that has, or indeed what relivence it has, is something i don't know.

what i do know is that a helicopter crashing onto a main road in Central London during a wednesday morning rush hour should cause more than the two fatalities we currently know about. maybe God enjoys the occasional weekend break in London...