• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Helicopter transfers to Hospitals...Where's the Coastguard??

spidermom

Have worked the last couple of weekends...(lucky me!!....rolling in the cash!!... :-( apologies ...off topic!!)

But have noticed that it is an Army helicopter that has transported patients to my hospital. It has been a busy couple of weekends. The weather has been dry and fine, plenty of hillwalkers etc, so the transport via helicopter is not unusual at this time of the year.( 2/3 daily!!) However it is has always been the huge coast guard helicopter that transports patients.Have not seen the Sigorski(??) for weeks... Anyone know whats going on???

Spideydad used to work for a company which ordered arts etc for the choppers and figures they are ancient, in real terms.
Are they "out of action"...or has the army been instructed to step in??...or is there a new contract out for rescue?

Bleu Poppy

Have worked the last couple of weekends...(lucky me!!....rolling in the cash!!... :-( apologies ...off topic!!)

But have noticed that it is an Army helicopter that has transported patients to my hospital. It has been a busy couple of weekends. The weather has been dry and fine, plenty of hillwalkers etc, so the transport via helicopter is not unusual at this time of the year.( 2/3 daily!!) However it is has always been the huge coast guard helicopter that transports patients.Have not seen the Sigorski(??) for weeks... Anyone know whats going on???

Spideydad used to work for a company which ordered arts etc for the choppers and figures they are ancient, in real terms.
Are they "out of action"...or has the army been instructed to step in??...or is there a new contract out for rescue?
Would this have something to do with the SNAFU where a child failed to be transported for a life-changing transplant?

The Coast Guard contracts were renewed recently- perhaps the current government has a different approach? The Coast Guard SAR Service is seen by the current government as precisely that- Search and Rescue.

Anyhow- here's a link to a report that also sets out the Air Corps' current role in ambulance missions- 30 December 2012 - Air Corps Complete 100th Air Ambulance Mission of 2012 | News & Events | Air Corps | Defence Forces

Ulster-Lad

It is probably ongoing training for flight crews.

ruserious

Coast Guard helicopter contracted out to a Canadian company IIRC. Probably cheaper to have the AC do it.

spidermom

Thanks for that folks.

No issue with the army lads...increases the training opportunities etc...just pondering the medical expertise vs the coast guard??...
PLUS...is the coast guard heli out of action??
I believe it covers the whole east coast....fishermen in trouble etc!
Would hope that there has been no diminution of service...and we ain't being told!!

Hard to extract the cynic out of Spidey these days!!

Grumpy Jack

The HSE has contracted the Air Corps to carry out air ambulance missions.

The Coastguard has contracted CHC to carry out SAR missions.

The SAR contract is a scandal at €50m per year for 10 years for 4 choppers we'll never own. For that price the AC could have bought and operated a fleet of 8-10 similar medium lift helicopters.

Another great rip-off of the taxpayer brought to you by Fianna Fáil.

firefly123

Thanks for that folks.

No issue with the army lads...increases the training opportunities etc...just pondering the medical expertise vs the coast guard??...
PLUS...is the coast guard heli out of action??
I believe it covers the whole east coast....fishermen in trouble etc!
Would hope that there has been no diminution of service...and we ain't being told!!

Hard to extract the cynic out of Spidey these days!!
The military helicopter would be more suited for patient transport and is now working in conjunction with HSE paramedics for urgent transfers. An air ambulance if you will.
The coastguard choppers are huge and designed for search and rescue. They need a bigger landing area and cost a lot to run. The company contracted is CHC I think. The helicopters are old but updated with new avionics and I know they are getting new ones soon (or already). DFB have responsibility for ship firefighting in Irish territorial waters and we train with coastguard crews by being winched on to ships and doing firefighting training. Great fun but if it were a real fire it would be a nightmare. A big metalbox on fire and you can't use much water or it will sink :|

spidermom

OOOOOoooohhhhh....Lucky you Firefly...love a sailor me!!...:)

(thks...issue solved so....and the paramedic training on the army choppers??...??...??)

ShoutingIsLeadership

Odd that you created this thread today, Spidermom....I was pondering the same thing after witnessing one of these helicopters land on a football pitch in North Wicklow yesterday....while a schoolboy game was in progress! It was huge and it needed to land to tend to an incident nearby (but nothing to do with the football match). One of the most bizarre things I have seen in quite a while.

firefly123

Odd that you created this thread today, Spidermom....I was pondering the same thing after witnessing one of these helicopters land on a football pitch in North Wicklow yesterday....while a schoolboy game was in progress! It was huge and it needed to land to tend to an incident nearby (but nothing to do with the football match). One of the most bizarre things I have seen in quite a while.
Was it green or white and red?

ShoutingIsLeadership

Was it green or white and red?
Green. Massive blades on it.

I couldn't help but wonder if a helicopter from north wicklow to whatever hospital (I understand it may have been a child) would have been any quicker than a road ambulance.

spidermom

ARA...thats not big!!

The "red and white" one is huge!!
The green is tiny....in comparison!!

Very detailed and precise level of debate here....don't ya think??
:)
Green. Massive blades on it.

I couldn't help but wonder if a helicopter from north wicklow to whatever hospital (I understand it may have been a child) would have been any quicker than a road ambulance.

Could very well have been a child....

How will it land in St James's I wonder???? :-(

spidermom

spidermom

Wait until the baby is a teenager...and get her to do it!!... :)

Night...have to drive the teens to school in the am...and have been up since 6am.....Kids...who'd have them!!
I took a picture...but have no idea how to upload it!

ShoutingIsLeadership

Wait until the baby is a teenager...and get her to do it!!... :)

Night...have to drive the teens to school in the am...and have been up since 6am.....Kids...who'd have them!!
Should be in bed myself, but am too tired to go - if that makes sense. Night :)

spidermom

Bleu Poppy

I took a picture...but have no idea how to upload it!
Open a flickr account, using a pseudonym naturally, and upload it there. Then capture the assigned code and use the 'insert image' icon here to get it to display it on this page.

Or just google, copy, paste-

Last edited: