HELLO! Is Celebrity Culture Healthy?

• Thread starter Deleted member 48908
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 48908

Pop culture seems to fascinate more and more these days. What with Hello! magazine, and the Daily Mail, and the birth of a royal heir, and the marriage of a different royal heir, and the KarJennerdashians, and a Trump, and TOWIE, and pretty socks, and even our own political website's allowal of a pretty frock thread.....

Seems like it just goes on, and on, and on, and on. Celebsession has become an obsession, it seems.

Many of these celebrities have earned their fame for sports, or entertainment, or political prowess. Still, others are famous just because they're famous. They opine on many issues; whether it's abortion, or worker's rights, or taxation, or ecomentalism, or diet, or education, or Darfur....seems like they've an opinion on everythingWho are these people? Why do they deserve our attention?

Is it healthy for a society?....this adulation?...this adoration?

How has celebrity culture effected our community?

How has this community of celebrities effected our culture?

I'm curious to hear what the parish has to say on the matter.

For me, it has had a positively negative effect on society.

D

Deleted member 48908

You're really p1ssed off about the pretty frock thread, obviously. :roll:
I'm not sure what it is you're on about, Strawberry?

What I am p¡ssed off about is this celebrity worship that the world seems to be engaged in.

dizillusioned

Hmmm.....there's just so much of you, though. Big as you are, do you have a specific part of you in mind?....for worshipping?
It could be my magnanimous personality, my fantastic conversational style. It could be the sheer wit or the brilliant intellectual mind that I freely share ideas and create thought processes in others. It could also be the jaw dropping good looks I have, that make people worship me. Frankly, it is my pure modesty that makes people want to be like me and worship the ground i walk on.

cracjerz

I think it's silly that people take what they say seriously. They really are just entertainers. And don't get me started on the instagram 'influencers'!

cracjerz

I don't think it's really unhealthy. It's always been done, even back in the early 20th century when cinema first came out.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
It is good for keeping the weight down. I've lost a stone this year just evading autograph hunters alone.

Niall996

Pop culture seems to fascinate more and more these days. What with Hello! magazine, and the Daily Mail, and the birth of a royal heir, and the marriage of a different royal heir, and the KarJennerdashians, and a Trump, and TOWIE, and pretty socks, and even our own political website's allowal of a pretty frock thread.....

Seems like it just goes on, and on, and on, and on. Celebsession has become an obsession, it seems.

Many of these celebrities have earned their fame for sports, or entertainment, or political prowess. Still, others are famous just because they're famous. They opine on many issues; whether it's abortion, or worker's rights, or taxation, or ecomentalism, or diet, or education, or Darfur....seems like they've an opinion on everythingWho are these people? Why do they deserve our attention?

It's really just a woman and gay thing. You should ask them.

che schifo

Celebrities who are famous for something, like playing football, singing or walking up and down in clothes, are annoying enough. The children of these people, who have done nothing but are now also playing the celebrity game are orders of magnitude more annoying. Brooklyn Beckham springs to mind. I love the reason Ricky Gervais gives for not having children. Spot on...

statsman

Who are these people?

rainmaker

Administrator

Personally, I cannot stand it.

It appeals mainly to a certain demographic who have been raised on it - unfortunately they are very over represented in the media because they have the most disposable income, and that is who advertisers will pay the most to reach.

farnaby

Maybe I've become immune to it with age but seems to me celebrity obsession hit a peak - or maybe plateaued - 5-10 years ago. And that was just old school gossip mags injected with the limitless content of digital photography and smart phone cameras.

It seems to have degenerated into increasingly desperate clickbait headlines ("You won't BELIEVE what this celebrity is doing now") which are very easy to ignore with the smallest degree of discipline.

GDPR

Actually I agree with a lot of what you say (and you're no celebrity afaik). It's the celebrity opinions which annoy and bore me. Why do people take seriously Kanye West's ignorant opinions on history and Sinead O'Connor's takes on anything? Sinead has a beautiful voice and I have listened to her singing quite a lot. Kanye I have never bothered with and I have no idea what he is famous for other than being married to a Kardashian (whose TV shows I don't watch). The reason why I have never bothered with Kanye is I first became aware of him when he gatecrashed Taylor Swift's award ceremony saying she did not deserve it, Beyoncé should have won. Who does this loudmouth think he is?

Celebs should stick to their areas of expertise. If you are a novelist, stick to writing novels. I don't really want to know what a novelist thinks of child poverty and so forth, I just want to read what fiction s/he has written. I have been put off reading any fiction by Lionel Shriver because all I have heard from her are her loudmouth opinions on anything but fiction. Why bother reading fiction by someone who lacks insight?

The only exception is the #MeToo movement which personally affected so many celebs. They are up speaking for themselves and encouraging others similarly affected to get the courage to speak out too - and hopefully stamp out harassment in any form forever.

I don't donate to charities simply because a celeb is up there supporting them. I make my own decisions.

It would be good if celebs became much less bedazzling and young people encouraged not to become pop stars but scientists, teachers, farmers, environmentalists and so forth.

Cruimh

A good OP - with all sorts of possibilities for discussion. What did people do before the media became so accessible, before TV, Radio and Magazines and the arrival of leisure time? They had religion and monitoring and gossiping about their neighbours. But most of their time was spent on the struggle for survival, except for the small numbers of the elite and wealthy.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies