• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Hells Angel: Mother Treasa of Calcutta: Christopher Investigates

Tommythecommy

Hells Angel: Mother Treasa of Calcutta: Christopher Hitchens Investigates

Christopher Hitchens describes Mother Treasa as a Fraud a Fanatic and a Fundementalist. He accuses her of an emotional con job. She was corrupt nasty and cruel.

Hitchens has been described as the Michael Moore of the Catholic Church

Mother Treasa defnitely not a saint

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3tUuA7WBRE&feature=related"]YouTube - Mother Teresa: DEAFANATLY NOT A SAINT![/ame]

Hells angel Mother Treasa parts 1-3

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WQ0i3nCx60&feature=related"]YouTube - Hell's Angel: Mother Teresa by Christopher Hitchens (1 of 3)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKkcDgeYBdk&feature=related"]YouTube - Hell's Angel: Mother Teresa by Christopher Hitchens (2 of 3)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pei8lSiv6s&feature=related"]YouTube - Hell's Angel: 'Mother' Teresa; 3 of 3.[/ame]

Shaming Mother Treasa ( child abuse)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30XdrOLT7J4&feature=fvw"]YouTube - Shaming Mother Teresa - India[/ame]

Last edited:

wombat

I thought this was an Irish politics site?

Interista

I disagree profoundly with Hitchens on many things (the Iraq war being one) but he's spot on as regards "Saint" Teresa of the private airplanes.

The OD

Did the name give it away?

Anyway, she isn't a Saint because that would imply that she went directly to Heaven. Considering there is no such place as heaven, logic dictates that she cannot be a Saint.

Fides

I suspect Mother Theresa has done a lot more for the poor and destitute than any of the contributors here or Hitchens. Was she perfect? Most assuredly not. Did she do more good than bad? Evidence suggests so.

A.Tomás

Hitchens is a racist inbred bigot. His hatred,like others, probably enamates from taking too many up the rear end from the old boys in public school.

Transference, I believe is the term.

A.Tomás

Wouldn't he and Birchill make a cute couple! (although I think he's gay, ... and she hates men).

Sync

It is, but we've got a History and Foreign Affairs section for stuff like this.

Luigi Vampa

I suspect Mother Theresa has done a lot more for the poor and destitute than any of the contributors here or Hitchens. Was she perfect? Most assuredly not. Did she do more good than bad? Evidence suggests so.
It's just another classic case of haters never letting the facts get in the way of their bigotry.

The OD

That depends really on what you consider as doing good. For a Catholic, with Catholic values, her opinions on such topics as abortion or contraception were correct. For a secularist who views the above as personal rights, she was in error.

Much as I am in disagreement with Catholicism, I can safely say that Mr. Hitchens has never sat with a dying person, wiped their behind and cleaned up their mess, much as I disagree with Mother Theresa, I cannot fault her dedication to what she believed to be right.

Fides

That depends really on what you consider as doing good. For a Catholic, with Catholic values, her opinions on such topics as abortion or contraception were correct. For a secularist who views the above as personal rights, she was in error.

Much as I am in disagreement with Catholicism, I can safely say that Mr. Hitchens has never sat with a dying person, wiped their behind and cleaned up their mess, much as I disagree with Mother Theresa, I cannot fault her dedication to what she believed to be right.
That's basically my point. I am not a Catholic either but anyone who devotes their life to helping some of the poorest in the world is a long way above their armchair critics.

Interista

much as I disagree with Mother Theresa, I cannot fault her dedication to what she believed to be right.
Aside from whether one agrees with her or not, its not clear that she really had such great moral courage.

As Hitchens has pointed out, Mother Teresa was a fierce opponent of divorce, famously urging the Irish people to vote 'no' in the referendum. Yet shortly after that, she publically expressed her relief that her friend Princess Diana's divorce was at last going to be finalised.

So - and this is one of the main criticisms Hitchens makes of Mother Teresa - there's one rule for ordinary folks, and another for the rich and famous.

Fides

Aside from whether one agrees with her or not, its not clear that she really had such great moral courage.

As Hitchens has pointed out, Mother Teresa was a fierce opponent of divorce, famously urging the Irish people to vote 'no' in the referendum. Yet shortly after that, she publically expressed her relief that her friend Princess Diana's divorce was at last going to be finalised.

So - and this is one of the main criticisms Hitchens makes of Mother Teresa - there's one rule for ordinary folks, and another for the rich and famous.
Oh well that balances out all her work for the poor! She's a bit of a hypocrite, far more serious.

Interista

Oh well that balances out all her work for the poor! She's a bit of a hypocrite, far more serious.
Mother Teresa's hypocrisy, and pandering to the rich and powerful, goes well beyond her opinion on Diana's divorce - her accepting an award from Baby Doc Duvalier and praising him as a champion of the poor would be a more serious example.

And while there's no doubt Mother Teresa did help many people, visitors to her institutions were often shocked by the extremely low level of care provided (given the huge donations she received) and there were always suspicions she spent more money on proselytising than helping the poor. She also glorified suffering and was often motivated more by her fanatical Catholic views on subjects such as abortion, than by notions of what might actually materially help destitute people in the here and now.

One doesn't have to accept everything which Hitchens has to say about her, but it remains the case that Mother Teresa was a far more complex individual than she is often made out to be.

wombat

And while there's no doubt Mother Teresa did help many people, visitors to her institutions were often shocked by the extremely low level of care provided (given the huge donations she received) and there were always suspicions she spent more money on proselytising than helping the poor.
An interesting view of someone who spent her life helping people who were abandoned by the rest of the world.

The OD

Perhaps, I admit to being fairly unaware of her outside of the popular views, whether for or against her. If the case above regarding Princess Diana is true then I have to agree with you.

Nevertheless, I can still profoundly disagree with her beliefs and admire her at the same time.