Help! "18th Century Guidon of Costello Volunteers, County Mayo"

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
Whyte's auction house have this up for sale, this coming Saturday: see lot 55.

The item's description is:
An 18th century silk swallow tailed flag of a form typically carried by light cavalry regiments. The obverse with black ground with scalloped, shamrock-bordered cartouche centred by a mounted Volunteer offering his services to Hibernia, beneath Gaelic script ''Mo Rish agus mo Thir'', which roughly translates as my king and my country; the reverse with red ground and a gilt Maid-of-Erin harp beneath ''Costello Volunteers'', within a border of shamrock.
There follows an account of the Costello family, with just this bit relevant to the item:
The Costello Volunteers were raised in 1779 and were also known as MacCostelloe's Regiment. They were commanded by Colonel Charles Costello. Little is known of their involvement in The Great Rebellion and this guidon seems to be the only artefact connected with these Mayo/Roscommon Volunteers.
I'd reckon the collected intellects of p.ie's History Forum should do better than that.

PeaceGoalie

I've had another look. I reckon the "Gaelic script" (should that be uncial? Or does that term apply only to capital letters?) reads "Mo Rígh agus mo Thír".
I couldn;t read the first part. But old Irish would not have used a h. It would have used a séimhiú and why capitalise Agus?

New Threads