• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Help in opposing compulsory Irish

owenfeehan

Hi, long time poster, though infrequently in recent times.

The Irish language is a frequent and controversial discussion point on politics.ie

As a believer that language and cultural identity should not be forced on people, I'd like to campaign in a more organised way for ending compulsory Irish in Ireland.

By that I mean, do something more constructive than merely squabbling on threads (as fun as it often is!).

The only thing I've done so far is set up this Facebook group, which I'd heavily encourage supporters to join, and to pass onto others.

So I'm looking for two things:
- People of similar views, willing to join with me!
- Ideas on what to do (writing to politicians, letters to papers etc., generating a bit of press coverage)

In particular, the recent ban on English placenames in Dublin City has really angered me, and made me realise that if you don't fight for your rights, they often will be taken away. Being allowed use English in Ireland is something I always took for granted, but evidently cannot be.

I would ask all posters on p.ie, whether they like Irish or not, to stand with us for cultural freedom - and in allowing an Ireland of very many different culture and lingustic identifications, without it being crudely forced by the state.

There are no shortage of usually-taxpayer-funded groups on the other side of argument, lobbying intensively for more bans on English and more forced Irish!

Gabha Óir

And the reason why Ireland speaks English for the most part is why exactly? No crude force used there. There's plenty on here who share your pathetic hatred of the language but I won't wish you luck with it, if you don't mind. There'll be a few along presently.

USER1234

owenfeehan, prepare to be attacked left right and center by the irish language fanatics!!!

chadmikeymicheals

strange thing to feel so strongly about.

In particular, the recent ban on English placenames in Dublin City has really angered me, and made me realise that if you don't fight for your rights, they often will be taken away.
do you understand that our native language was taking away from us and we have to fight to reinstate it as this country first language? admittedly the fight has not been going well so far but things like this ban on english place names can only help. if you dont like us natives just stay in germany, simple really. maybe you could start a campaign to scrap the german language while your over there?

Green eyed monster

In particular, the recent ban on English placenames in Dublin City has really angered me, and made me realise that if you don't fight for your rights, they often will be taken away. Being allowed use English in Ireland is something I always took for granted, but evidently cannot be.
Oooo, next thing you know the English speaking people in Ireland will have to wear signs around their necks, i think you need a reality check.

TradCat

I have no problem with a decision that place-names should be in Irish. We are after all in Ireland. But I think Irish should not be compulsory after primary school. I think the language would do better without compulsion. It could hardly do worse. As a country and a culture we are responsible for the language but individuals must be free to say no if they don't identify with it.

We don't make traditional music compulsory yet it thrives. We don't make gaelic games compulsory yet they are hugely popular. Things that are made compulsory in Ireland tend to die out. Fish on Friday, Mass etc.

Clearly we are making a huge mistake with the language. By making it a positive choice rather than an obligation we would make it less like Mass and more like music.

owenfeehan

So Owen is your location still MUNICH from where you feel so agrieved ?
Irishness (or any other nationality) expresses itself in many different ways, which is why it is so important individual freedom is respected.

What matters most isn't whether you speak Irish, don't speak it, or aspire to speak it or don't.

What matters most is showing respect and tolerance for the cultural identifications of others, and of the rights of individuals to make those kind of decisions for themselves.

Regarding my location, I was always against crude nationalism, and opposed the ban on English-placenames in my hometown of Galway - maybe 8 odd years ago.

But having been out of the country for 3 years now, it has certainly reinforced a belief that it would be better if we spent more time as people realising our commonality and our uniqueness as individuals than dividing ourselves into tribal groups.

In my opinion, society functions best when principles of tolerance and respect are at the core of how we approach issues of language and cultural identification.

Irishness (or any other nationality) expresses itself in many different ways, which is why it is so important individual freedom is respected.

What matters most isn't whether you speak Irish, don't speak it, or aspire to speak it or don't.

What matters most is showing respect and tolerance for the cultural identifications of others, and of the rights of individuals to make those kind of decisions for themselves.

Regarding my location, I was always against crude nationalism, and opposed the ban on English-placenames in my hometown of Galway - maybe 8 odd years ago.

But having been out of the country for 3 years now, it has certainly reinforced a belief that it would be better if we spent more time as people realising our commonality and our uniqueness as individuals than dividing ourselves into tribal groups.

In my opinion, society functions best when principles of tolerance and respect are at the core of how we approach issues of language and cultural identification.
So thats a YES then.

So do tell how is compulsory Irish affecting people in Bavaria ?

asset test

When young kids coming up want to be speakers of the Irish language, who do they look up to in Ireland?

I just think there is far too much USA influence all over and anything other than X factor etc. is not cool.

How to make Irish cool then?

Over to you, cos I don't know.

chadmikeymicheals

you just have to respect the wishes of the people owen, and the majority of people want to see a day when the irish language is once again in its rightfull place as the main language of the irish people, and dont use kids dropping out of irish in school as a way to prove me wrong because most kids would drop out of maths and science too if they had half a chance.

owenfeehan

So thats a YES then.

So do tell how is compulsory Irish affecting people in Bavaria ?
I can only speak for myself, an Irishman, who believes in a tolerant world where many different cultural choices and identifications are respected.

Irishness never equated exclusively to a Gaelic identity, either in the past, or even less so in the present.

It is wrong to crudely force one cultural identity on millions of people, as if they shouldn't get a say in their own cultural identification, and how that is expressed or advanced.

TradCat

the majority of people want to see a day when the irish language is once again in its rightfull place as the main language of the irish people,
Really? But not to the point of learning to speak it themselves? We are truly the masters of hypocritical piety. I think anybody should have the right to disassociate themselves from such a farce.

Conor

I have no problem with a decision that place-names should be in Irish.
I do. They'll be a nuisance for ordering takeaway.

edwin

I can only speak for myself, an Irishman, who believes in a tolerant world where many different cultural choices and identifications are respected.

Irishness never equated exclusively to a Gaelic identity, either in the past, or even less so in the present.

It is wrong to crudely force one cultural identity on millions of people, as if they shouldn't get a say in their own cultural identification, and how that is expressed or advanced.
Your tolerance does have limits though does it? Do you agree with compulsory maths? If so then you're a hypocrite because that's forcing something on people.

owenfeehan

Your tolerance does have limits though does it? Do you agree with compulsory maths? If so then you're a hypocrite because that's forcing something on people.
I've yet to meet someone whose cultural identification is mathematics, or opposition-to-mathematics!

But if such people exist, we certainly should look at ways at how they can be better accomodated in a spirit of respect and tolerance.