Help! Trapped in Nigeria

Magror14

Got an email from someone I know in London as follows:

"Hello There
I'm sorry for this odd request because it might get to you too urgent but it's because of the situation of things right now,I'm stuck in Nigeria with family right now, we came down here on family vacation, we were robbed,worse of it is that bags, cash and cards and our cell phone were stolen at GUN POINT,and it's hard to get hold of a phone here in London it's such a crazy experience for us, we need help flying back home, the authorities are not being 100% supportive but the good thing is we still have our passport but don't have enough money to get our flight ticket back home, please i need you to loan us some money, will refund you as soon as we are back home,i promise."

Hate to say this but leaving aside the fact that the English was well below what I would expect from this person the word Nigeria instantly aroused my suspicions. I got an email from the real person to say his account (yahoo) was hacked.

Nigeria is a great country but just wondering whether it should take measures to clean up the current "scam artist" image of its citizens.

cricket

I couldn't sleep last night after getting email from the niece of a murdered millionaire who promised me 10% of her uncle's legacy if I'd just send on €2,500 to get her out of there. I sent her on a credit union loan application form.

IPRIreland

Website
www.facebook.com
Have you tried scambaiting? Reversing scams and generally wasting the time of these criminals (and they ARE all criminals). 419baiter.com gives good tips and there are some very funny stories there.

blackpitts

Have you tried scambaiting? Reversing scams and generally wasting the time of these criminals (and they ARE all criminals). 419baiter.com gives good tips and there are some very funny stories there.
LOL. Thanks for the site. Very entertaining.

I got an email a couple of months back from a student in the US I occasionally exchange work emails with telling me she was in London on a work study programme and had had all her valuables stolen at the hostel she was staying at and could I help her out by wiring some money to her at a particular Western Union office. It was sufficiently convincing that I asked around before I decided for sure it was a scam. I half thought of contacting the cops in London to set up a sting operation since whoever it was would have had to turn up to collect the money.

waterford

I got an email a couple of months back from a student in the US I occasionally exchange work emails with telling me she was in London on a work study programme and had had all her valuables stolen at the hostel she was staying at and could I help her out by wiring some money to her at a particular Western Union office. It was sufficiently convincing that I asked around before I decided for sure it was a scam. I half thought of contacting the cops in London to set up a sting operation since whoever it was would have had to turn up to collect the money.
Hay I am slow, I got an email from a friend who was 'stuck' in London but I just thought I am not a close enough friend to ask money from..Dont see her for about a year so didnt get a chance tomention it!!!
Silly me:(

Magror14

Please explain to me how Nigeria is a "great country"
Its a big country with diverse climates, huge natural resources a highly enterprising if completely misguided population. With the right approach the country could have everything it needs and more. We would want to go and live there.

blackpitts

Hay I am slow, I got an email from a friend who was 'stuck' in London but I just thought I am not a close enough friend to ask money from..Dont see her for about a year so didnt get a chance tomention it!!!
Silly me:(
That was what got me suspicious. I didn't know the girl very well but "she" sent it to arrive to me and other people I knew at 4.30am on a Saturday morning (US time, where I live) which was realistic if she really was in London and so I figured that maybe she was just desperate and hoping that someone she knew would be up early and get her email. Maybe the timing was random, but afterward I thought it was a pretty clever touch - maybe also getting someone early in the morning when they weren't thinking too sharply.

disgruntledcitizen

Its a big country with diverse climates, huge natural resources a highly enterprising if completely misguided population. With the right approach the country could have everything it needs and more. We would want to go and live there.
except for the absolute corruption, tribal / ethnic violence, etc....

what your really saying is that Nigeria would be a great country if only there were no Nigerians there

BlowIn

I would love if about 24% of this country voters would go and live there but I'm afraid that the Fianna Fail clan would come back having learnt form the feet of the masters of the scam.

I think that you must give credit where credit is due to the Nigerians they are highly interprising people, I meant if you can get some stupid white person to send money to some one they dont know, then if fairness its only the terminally stupid that are gonna get hurt.

Its a form of monetary natural selection.

pujols

Please explain to me how Nigeria is a "great country"
I have been there for a while for work. While there is a security issue and the poverty is endemic, I can tell you that I loved being there and I found the people absolutely wonderful.

I was in both Lagos and Abuja and found things to love about both places although Abuja has the advantage of no humidity.

I had a great time there, a warmth in my reception,people invited me to their homes and I found a willingness to engage on all sorts of topics and yo have a laugh.

The only person who tried to scam me was an Irish guy in my hotel who wanted me to put his bar tab on my expenses.

I would very happily go back.

Magror14

I meet Nigerians from time to time through work. Huge personalities with a great attitude to life. They would buy and sell most Irish people. Thats what makes them a bit scary.

stripey cat

I've often wondered if there would be any mileage in sending out out emails claiming to have access to the account in the credit union in Drumcondra which holds all the dirty money (I'm sorry, all the legitimate race course winnings).

Think any Nigerians would go for it?

Sync

Well you know England and America are great countries but I was just wondering whether they should take measures to clean up the current "scam artist" image of its citizens.

I think I'll start a thread about every piece of spam that hits my filter.

Magror14

Well you know England and America are great countries but I was just wondering whether they should take measures to clean up the current "scam artist" image of its citizens.

I think I'll start a thread about every piece of spam that hits my filter.
That is a bit precious. What was different about this spam was that a genuine email account had been hacked. Also scam spam from England and America has not attracted a national identity, for example, "Nigerian 419 emails".

Squire Allworthy

I have been there for a while for work. While there is a security issue and the poverty is endemic, I can tell you that I loved being there and I found the people absolutely wonderful.

I was in both Lagos and Abuja and found things to love about both places although Abuja has the advantage of no humidity.

I had a great time there, a warmth in my reception,people invited me to their homes and I found a willingness to engage on all sorts of topics and yo have a laugh.

The only person who tried to scam me was an Irish guy in my hotel who wanted me to put his bar tab on my expenses.

I would very happily go back.
As in most places ordinary people fine but did you not encounter a fairly high level of corruption?

The Benin Empire was up to its neck in the slave trade and I wonder if attitudes to scams and similar crimes were fostered by that sort of opportunistic trade. If you can make a living selling people into slavery what's all the fuss about a few scams?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies