• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Henry McCullough

statsman

Henry McCullough, one of the great Irish guitarists, has passed away after a long illness.

"Very sad" Macca pays tribute to Henry McCullough - RTÉ Entertainment

McCullough played with Sweeney's Men, the Fleadh Cowboys, Wings, Pink Floyd and famously was the only Irish musician to play at Woodstock thanks to his time in Joe Cocker's band.

He was brilliant, a wonderful guitarist, and a Derry man.

im axeled

i cannot think of his nickname, the cowboy, a great gutarist, a better man

it came to me, the clontarf cowboy

Last edited:

corporal punishment

i cannot think of his nickname, the cowboy, a great gutarist, a better man

it came to me, the clontarf cowboy
That's Philip Donnelly so named because of his success as a Session guitarist in Nashville.

gatsbygirl20

So sad to hear this. Brilliant guy. Played with everyone from Hendrix to Andy Irvine.

His guitar solo on McCartney's My Love is wonderful

Toured the US with Cocker....

He started out in a showband like Van Morrison.

Despite their "musical differences" ( McCartney, a perfectionist, could be hard to work for) McCartney knew what he owed McCullough, and he always invited him on stage in his later concerts if McCullough was around.

He came on stage to play with McCartney at the O2 concert in Dublin a few years back...

But there was much more to him than Wings...

ShoutingIsLeadership

I saw the thread title, and wondered what on earth statsman was doing starting a thread about that fella from Newstalk

Socratus O' Pericles

"I don't know; I was really drunk at the time"
That was one memorable fight with the missis.

[video=youtube;KJpWzEL7_MY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJpWzEL7_MY&list=PLE57DE24C269D9850&index=66[/video]

The musical differences with McCartney in 1972 cost them both dearly imo. Band On The Run could have been a great album (as distinct from very good.)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies