• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Her Majesties Armed forces recruitment drive on RTE radio?

realistic1

Retired British armed forces Commander Tim Collins has just been interviewed today by Pat Kenny, on RTE radio 1. The interview was mainly on the subject of Irish citizens North & South serving in the British Armed services, past and present. While the history aspect of this interview is interesting, I found the interview tended to be an advertisement for Irish citizens to join the current British Armed services . My question is are RTE been used by the British Ministry of Defense to get free advertisements for potential Irish recruits? Is it time for RTE to receive funding from the UK MOD department?

Dunlin3

So RTE are not allowed to interview ex British Army officers without it being seen as a recruitment add? I didn't hear the interview but Tim Collins is no major fan of the MOD from what I've heard previously.

Off to the Zoo with this one I think!

D

Deleted member 17573

Retired British armed forces Commander Tim Collins has just been interviewed today by Pat Kenny, on RTE radio 1. The interview was mainly on the subject of Irish citizens North & South serving in the British Armed services, past and present. While the history aspect of this interview is interesting, I found the interview tended to be an advertisement for Irish citizens to join the current British Armed services . My question is are RTE been used by the British Ministry of Defense to get free advertisements for potential Irish recruits? Is it time for RTE to receive funding from the UK MOD department?
No - no more than an interview with any overseas/MNC representative - purely informative in nature.

ruserious

Unbeknownst to yourself, you actually answered your own OP in your OP.

Bobcolebrooke

The British Armed forces have been protecting the Irish Free State since it was established, and the Irish Republic it's since it was declared in 1949.

Any organisation that employs tens of thousands of people within 200 miles of Ireland is a good candidate for a radio piece on job and personal development opportunities.

Mr. Bumble

Brave man. The dissidents know where he is right now.

Bobcolebrooke

Traitors the lot of them.
Why are they traitors?

Soldiering is one of the oldest professions!

Soon they will all be serving under an EU flag wearing a common uniform, firing the same calibre rounds of ammunition.

Why is soldiering for the UK different to designing bridges for the UK, building Web Sites for the UK etc?

Last edited:

zakalwe1

in answer to the OP, yes.
the West Brit govt, in a bit to cut down on unemployment, has decided that its in the state's best interest to encourage those of military age to take the queens shilling and knock some darkie's head in order to allow the free flowing of oil into the West.
The British MOD has gratefully accepted and in return has agreed to take Tubs away from the people of Ireland to broadcast on BBC (HM Armed Forces FM).

Its a tall price to pay for the ridding of Tubs, but many irish men and women are prepared to sacrifice their lives to achieve this goal for the People of Ireland.

Viva la republic and god save herself!

Bobcolebrooke

in answer to the OP, yes.
the West Brit govt, in a bit to cut down on unemployment, has decided that its in the state's best interest to encourage those of military age to take the queens shilling and knock some darkie's head in order to allow the free flowing of oil into the West.
The British MOD has gratefully accepted and in return has agreed to take Tubs away from the people of Ireland to broadcast on BBC (HM Armed Forces FM).

Its a tall price to pay for the ridding of Tubs, but many irish men and women are prepared to sacrifice their lives to achieve this goal for the People of Ireland.

Viva la republic and god save herself!
How is dieing in a British Army uniform in some far off place any different to dieing on a British Building Site?

Clanrickard

The British Armed forces have been protecting the Irish Free State since it was established, and the Irish Republic it's since it was declared in 1949.
Really? Lots of dead nationalists up in the wee 6 see things differently.

Bobcolebrooke

You can walk away from the building site before you are killed.
On of the most dangerous thing you can do in the UK is to be on a Road. About 1900 people died on roads there in 2011. The British Army is really not all that dangerous.

slippy wicket

I knew someone was going to be outraged over that interview.
As some of the young soldiers said, it's a job and they get to go off on combat missions.
What's not to like, sure id do it myself if I wasn't too old and one fall away from a knee reconstruction :(

Mr. Bumble

realistic1

I knew someone was going to be outraged over that interview.
As some of the young soldiers said, it's a job and they get to go off on combat missions.
What's not to like, sure id do it myself if I wasn't too old and one fall away from a knee reconstruction :(
Fair enough but why not have an official paid advertisement??