Herd immunity policy in the UK against Covid-19

Sync

But Dido thinks the app is just a nice to have and really it's the process that matters, but she doesn't have the process in place either.

Maybe the person to put in charge of developing an app and supporting system would be an ex Google/Facebook/Intel/Jaguar bod as opposed to someone who likes horsies. Oh she's married to a Tory MP? Coincidink. She's there on merit.
The UK has accepted that their poorly conceived and executed app idea is dead. But the absolute balls on Dido Harding to put out this statement. Just a joy to behold.

Dido Harding,
who runs NHS Test and Trace chief, and Matthew Gould, who heads NHSX, the NHS’s digital policy arm, have issued a statement confirming the decision to scrap the current contact tracing app. There had been “specific technical challenges” with the app, they said. They went on:
Our response to this virus has and will continue to be as part of an international effort.
That is why as part of a collaborative approach we have agreed to share our own innovative work on estimating distance between app users with Google and Apple, work that we hope will benefit others, while using their solution to address some of the specific technical challenges identified through our rigorous testing.
We will also draw on the invaluable insight from all of those who trialled the app on the Isle of Wight - and the brilliant teams who have worked on it to date - to build an app that can form part of the end-to-end NHS Test and Trace service and this insight will be integral to the next phase of development.
At this point I would also like to point out that my efforts to reach Mars by pouring gas on my toilet roll rocket and pointing it towards the sky are in fact part of an international effort to scale the heavens. I will be sharing my schematics with Elon Musk, while leveraging off his work to address some of the boring technical aspects of the project.

Dame_Enda

NISRA reporting 20 Covid-19 deaths in Northern Ireland in the past week. Brings total deaths to 802. That is compared to 540 in the Dept of Health figures up to June 12th.

Last edited:

Sync

Hancock's really very bad at his job.
Seriously though he's REALLY BAD at his job.

Apple says it did not know the UK was working on a "hybrid" version of the NHS coronavirus contact-tracing app using tech it developed with Google.

The firm took the unusual step of saying it was also unaware of an issue regarding distance-measuring, which was flagged by Health Secretary Matt Hancock in Thursday's daily briefing.

Apple said it was "difficult to understand" the claims.

Downing Street said the government had "worked closely with Apple and Google".
However, speaking to the Times, Apple said: "It is difficult to understand what these claims are as they haven't spoken to us." The firm also pointed out that the tech was already either in use or intended for use in Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Ireland.

"We've agreed to join forces with Google and Apple, to bring the best bits of both systems together," Mr Hancock said.

However, Apple said: "We don't know what they mean by this hybrid model. They haven't spoken to us about it."

Betson

So the UK is reopening most things on Saturday 4th July including pubs and restaurants but excluding nightclubs and gyms.

Our Gyms are slated for reopening on the 29th but our Pubs proper not until Monday July 20th.

With regards pubs Monday seems a far more sensible day to reopen and get used to new guidelines starting on the quietest parts of the week as a Saturday looks like an invitation for everybody to crowd back into to them all at once.

Betson

With regards pubs Monday seems a far more sensible day to reopen and get used to new guidelines starting on the quietest parts of the week as a Saturday looks like an invitation for everybody to crowd back into to them all at once.
Seems the police in the UK are not too happy about Saturdays been picked for reopening day of pubs in the UK.

It does seem a very short sighted decision to pick a Saturday , the cops are going to be very busy that weekend.

Police chiefs blast Super Saturday warning pubs will be 'apocalyptic'

shiel

Interesting figures re deaths per million of population from corona virus.

Scotland 454
England 691
Wales 477
N Ireland 291
UK 650
Ireland 354
Italy 573

Both parts of Ireland not doing too bad in that comparison.

Dearghoul

Seriously though he's REALLY BAD at his job.

However, speaking to the Times, Apple said: "It is difficult to understand what these claims are as they haven't spoken to us." The firm also pointed out that the tech was already either in use or intended for use in Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Ireland.
IOS has well known bluetooth issues it appears.

According to a lad from Ulster on J.O.B. the other day who's company does this sort of thing, everyone in the industry was agog to see how they would overcome this hurdle.

petaljam

IOS has well known bluetooth issues it appears.

According to a lad from Ulster on J.O.B. the other day who's company does this sort of thing, everyone in the industry was agog to see how they would overcome this hurdle.
Well I have Bluetooth problems with my iPhone: it connects up to simple things like earbuds and speakers, but won't transfer files to non Apple devices - not compatible apparently. So I wish them luck with that.

Sync

Literally everyone pointed out the problems with a Bluetooth solution before the UK picked it. Aside from connection issues, it hoovers battery power.

And again, as with most of the UK’s screwups: there were developed countries who were managing the situation better who had existing solutions in place before the UK make their decisions.

But exceptionalism wins out. And the thousands extra dead lose out.

petaljam

This government refused a shared aid package from the EU so it makes sense that they would refuse to go begging to European countries for a “better” system than their own.

As for asking an ex colony in Asia, that would be even worse.

Sync

Now we've all had fun, but the UK is now firmly in the Brazil/Russia business of hiding data.

Leicester's been locked down because of spikes in instances. Fine.

But. The spikes are only visible by looking at Pillar 2 Data. But the govt doesn't share the Pillar 2 for the rest of the country. So you've no idea if there are spikes in your area or not.

Ebw2L7pVAAAcKXx?format=png&name=large.png

Dearghoul

Cracking article.

When you find what you've been struggling with for words, then it's worth running it up the flagpole..

[Edit] It's behind an access wall, it's not a paywall. I would suggest to our subscribers that it might be a wall worth surmounting.

C'mawn, you dont want me to type out the whole thing, ...do ye?

Risteard

Interesting figures re deaths per million of population from corona virus.

Scotland 454
England 691
Wales 477
N Ireland 291
UK 650
Ireland 354
Italy 573

Both parts of Ireland not doing too bad in that comparison.
There is no such thing as "Ireland and Northern Ireland". There aren't two Irelands.

Ireland has 32-Counties and every county is every bit as much in Ireland as every other county. Phrases such as "Ireland and Northern Ireland" like that idiot Leo Varadkar uses are seditious and should be severely punished.

He should also be severely punished for illegally promoting totalitarian so-called "lockdown" and also for his moves to enforce stupid gas masks. Enforced mask wearing is totalitarian and satanic.

Sidewindered

Seditious and satanic.
Yer new man has a lot to live up to. :)
I've been wondering about this though.

I mean I gave up trying to figure out what is going on in the tiny brains of demented religious loons decades ago. But what's with all the current screeching about masks being the Devil's Work? Like those Florida Karens at the public hearing, every one of them was gibbering away about Satanic Plots.

Even by their unhinged standards this one seems a bit of a leap.

Wear a mask during infectious pandemic == open declaration of Satanic worship.

Where's me goat?

Splodge

I've been wondering about this though.

I mean I gave up trying to figure out what is going on in the tiny brains of demented religious loons decades ago. But what's with all the current screeching about masks being the Devil's Work? Like those Florida Karens at the public hearing, every one of them was gibbering away about Satanic Plots.

Even by their unhinged standards this one seems a bit of a leap.

Wear a mask during infectious pandemic == open declaration of Satanic worship.

Where's me goat?
It’s keeping the Holy Spirit from getting in your gob or something.

Sync

Bojo about to speak live on Sky.

This will be....interesting. His language over the last week has becoming WAY more pessimistic on Covid clearing up and he's expected to announce a partial lockdown in Northern England.

But the data hasn't been publicly available to see the reasons for that.

The practical impact now is that he's about to announce the muslims in the North of England won't be able to meet to celebrate Eid while 5000 people are allowed to meet in the South to watch horsies tomorrow. This is a bad look.

Meanwhile the UK's own stats show how poorly the country has done.

skynews-excess-deaths-ons-coronavirus_5053320.jpg

Last edited:

shiel

Bojo about to speak live on Sky.

This will be....interesting. His language over the last week has becoming WAY more pessimistic on Covid clearing up and he's expected to announce a partial lockdown in Northern England.

But the data hasn't been publicly available to see the reasons for that.

The practical impact now is that he's about to announce the muslims in the North of England won't be able to meet to celebrate Eid while 5000 people are allowed to meet in the South to watch horsies tomorrow. This is a bad look.

Meanwhile the UK's own stats show how poorly the country has done.

View attachment 26797

Thanks.

Any chance of updating that graph?

Where is Ireland on the graph?

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom