Here I stand, I can do no other...

Socratus O' Pericles

Give or take it is the 500th anniversary of the Reformation.

The father of the Protestant Reformation was Martin Luther, a German professor of theology, a composer a priest and monk.

The Reformation is often dated to 31 October 1517 in Wittenberg, Saxony, when Luther sent his Ninety-Five Theses on the Power and Efficacy of Indulgences to the Archbishop of Mainz.

He is a man one can warm to, not at all angry or forbidding but rather courageous, thoughtful and caring but ultimately deluded in so far as he believed god was guiding him. He took on the might Europe at a time when the state and the church were very much the same thing. He refused to flinch from the full might of church and state in an uncompromising fashion.

He went on a mission to do things better however, the corrupt church did everything in its power to do him down but Luther captured the zeitgeists insofar as he outlined he concerns of the populus in the vernacular.

One thing I agree with him on is
There is no more lovely, friendly, and charming relationship, communion, or company than a good marriage
.......but being a priest that may seem a trifle odd at the time.

The catholic church was and is corrupt to the core and this was a genuine attempt to do good. A key question was:

“Why does the pope, whose wealth today is greater than the wealth of the richest Crassus, build the basilica of Saint Peter with the money of poor believers rather than with his own money?”

As an aside Luther frequently alluded to the fact that he suffered from chronic constipation and spent much of his time in contemplation on the lavatory.

Experts say they have been certain for years that the 16th-century religious leader wrote the groundbreaking theses while on das Klo, as the Germans call it.

A man to whom the propaganda machine did a lot of damage but in the round a decent chap!

Deadlock

As an aside Luther frequently alluded to the fact that he suffered from chronic constipation and spent much of his time in contemplation on the lavatory.

Experts say they have been certain for years that the 16th-century religious leader wrote the groundbreaking theses while on das Klo, as the Germans call it.
Thanks for a very interesting OP.

Perhaps in light of the quoted section, you should think about changing the title from "Here I stand, I can do no other..." to "Here I sit, I can do no other..."? :p

Last edited:

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
Luther is now rightly considered a major Historical figure, but in his own time, many would have considered him the devil incarnate, or, at the very least, the most troublesome of men.

Socratus O' Pericles

Thanks for a very interesting OP.

Perhaps in light of the quoted section, you should think about changing the title from "Here I stand, I can do no other..." to "Here I sit, I can do no other..."? :p

Here I sit
Broken hearted
Spent a penny
and only farted.

GDPR

A man to whom the propaganda machine did a lot of damage but in the round a decent chap!
My favourite Luther quote is On the Bondage of the Will which we I still to this day regard as his greatest work; "I am a Barbarian and I do everything Barbariously". In fact I have tattooed around my ankle. I'm not sure you would have regarded him as a decent chap though given the fact that it wasn't only Catholics who he poured out his wrath on, in fact he had much harsher words for Jews, unruly peasants and "Reformers" he didn't agree with than he had for Catholics. No doubt he was a genius and was grappling with very serious Religious issues. Also it important to understand that Luther went through various phases- the Luther of On the Liberty of the Christian is in some ways radically different to the later Luther.

GDPR

Fair enough but he thought he was being guided by god, he suffered the rabies of theologians no doubt.
You should read On the Jews and their Lies- he says in it if a Jew would come to him to be Baptized he would use that as an opportunity to drown that Jew.

Socratus O' Pericles

I hadn't fully considered the antisemitic stuff tbh, I was more concentrating on the one man v HRE and winning angle.

Catalpast

Could never warm to him TBH

A Great Man?

Yes

A Good Man

- um

- open to question...

There is no doubt though he is one of the most important people in Western Theological History

Hunter-Gatherer

and oh the tragedy that some parts of the british isles did the reformation and some parts didnt. Would we have had peace across these islands.

Socratus O' Pericles

I think there's at leastone thread about that already.

[video=youtube;YXzubuENjHk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXzubuENjHk[/video]
Only one? Good thing it's not Trump or Brexit.

Tacitus

Personally, I can never 'warm to' an anti Semite......

To quote the leading Martin Luther-biographer Kaufmann: "Martin Luther was an antisemite and he couldn't drive cars too." Martin Luther, like many of his fellow men, hold strong antjudaist sentiments, but he would have never accepted the essential assumption of Antisemitsm: Namely that being a jew, or being born a jew, was a crime that deserved death. Instead he hoped to convert jews to his faith, and any jew willing to convert would have been welcomed by him (he was pen pals with a converted jew btw.).

eoghanacht

I hadn't fully considered the antisemitic stuff tbh, I was more concentrating on the one man v HRE and winning angle.
Most Europeans were antisemitic at that time.

Hasbara shills can't separate emotion and reason.

Luther, a complex man was to my mind one of the great Europeans.

He got the ball rolling and reasoned discussion took the place of blind ignorance.

We owe him a debt.

GDPR

Yeah I know, he was anti catholic and that was as far as you needed to go.

Still, he sounds little better than any other religious nut and with the antisemitic stuff maybe even a good deal worse.

Heroes eh?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies