Here in Ireland lets not get too smug about possible Brexit advantages toward us?

robut

This article appeared in THE EXPRESS yesterday:

Eurozone news: Ireland's economy is smaller and has more debt than previously thought | City & Business | Finance | Express.co.uk

IRELAND’S economy is loaded with more debt and MUCH smaller than previously thought, shock figures reveal.
OK, its an alt view about Irelands performance .. probably as with all things, it has some truth in it .. even for The Express.

The point I bring up here however is this and is related to comments left under this article like this one:

DaveWhite1

Wonder if we should deliberately push them over the cliff, and put enormous pressure on the Euro and hence the EU?? After all they are trying to steal UK jobs?? Plus I Would love to see it all crash around Merkels and Macron, Junckers and co's heads!! Definitely no UK bailouts next time, and make sure we have a severe curtailing of the purchasing of Irish agri products for starters..
I wonder should IRELAND / IRISH be very careful with this SMUG brit bashing brexit gloating stuff that many here go on with? You never know how tables could turn where we end up needing the UK? No one really knows how this Brexit will pan out OR how WE could be affected by it going forward?

The old saying:

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down."
Thoughts?

Last edited:

hammer

Who is being smug ?

Most of us are unsure as to what exactly will happen and how it will affect us exactly.
We will gain in some places and lose in other.

Deadlock

Eurozone news: Ireland's economy is smaller and has more debt than previously thought | City & Business | Finance | Express.co.uk

OK, its an alt view about Irelands performance .. probably as with all things, it has some truth in it .. even for The Express.

The point I bring up here however is this and is related to comments left under this article like this one:

I wonder should IRELAND / IRISH be very careful with this SMUG brit bashing brexit gloating stuff that many here go on with? You never know how tables could turn where we end up needing the UK? No one really knows how this Brexit will pan out OR how WE could be affected by it going forward?

The old saying:

Thoughts?
Appeasement Robut?

Our near neighbours love robust debate.

Spanner Island

The old saying:

Thoughts?
TBH I'm not detecting much smugness at all.

I'm detecting a lot of anger and irritation and growing resentment towards the ongoing Brexit shambles the UK has foisted on everyone... and towards the contempt the UK has shown towards countries they like to claim as 'partners' when it suits them...

This is particularly true for Ireland as we will suffer the consequences more than any other country...

hammer

I think also we have some heated discussions here on p.ie on different subject matters.

But, at the end of the day we all hope that things will continue to get better here in Ireland for all our citizens. We also all hope that our ills will get sorted asap.

None of us know whether this will be a positive or a major negative for us.

Strawberry

I have yet to hear any smugness about Brexit, more like close to panic about the effect it will have on our economy.

As for the Express and their senile readers, if they ever told the truth about anything it was by accident. Ignore.

robut

Who is being smug ?

Most of us are unsure as to what exactly will happen and how it will affect us exactly.
We will gain in some places and lose in other.
You see .. this is something I cannot provide links to but at the same time I hear from some in public conversation daily. Now Hammer, you must admit that some here in PIE have left comments elsewhere .. even recently that have a smug tinge to them or could be percieved that way? In the ECONOMY Section .. or maybe I am picking things up wrong? http://www.politics.ie/forum/economy/239593-eurgbp-celtic-tiger-ii-16.html .. Sorry if I am

However .. I am just saying even if we are not, lets be careful that we dont over broadcast or frame any good fortune coming our way that could be seen as smug?

That comment above from Dave White in the OP brings up an interesting thought process from the UK perspective. If they were minded so, they could damage us big time? If BREXIT gets nasty the UK could use us as a very disposable pawn?

Strawberry

You see .. this is something I cannot provide links to but at the same time I hear from some in public conversation daily. Now Hammer, you must admit that some here in PIE have left comments elsewhere .. even recently that have a smug tinge to them or could be percieved that way? In the ECONOMY Section .. or maybe I am picking things up wrong? http://www.politics.ie/forum/economy/239593-eurgbp-celtic-tiger-ii-16.html .. Sorry if I am

However .. I am just saying even if we are not, lets be careful that we dont over broadcast or frame any good fortune coming our way that could be seen as smug?

That comment above brings up an interesting thought process from the UK perspective. If they were minded so, they could damage us big time? If BREXIT gets nasty the UK could use us as a very disposable pawn?
What is it you're afraid of the British doing exactly?

robut

What is it you're afraid of the British doing exactly?
On foot of comment in the article at the OP: ( Forget what paper, just take that comment from a UK perspective )

DaveWhite1

Wonder if we should deliberately push them over the cliff, and put enormous pressure on the Euro and hence the EU?? After all they are trying to steal UK jobs?? Plus I Would love to see it all crash around Merkels and Macron, Junckers and co's heads!! Definitely no UK bailouts next time, and make sure we have a severe curtailing of the purchasing of Irish agri products for starters.
Lets examine that? Is that possible? OR just boll*x, never possible?

If Brexit goes nasty .. ends in hard brexit, really bad divorce .. could we have all gloves are off with ire in our direction whatever that is?

statsman

On foot of comment in the article at the OP:

Post Brexit, the UK will be so busy trying to stay afloat that they won't have the energy to push anything over any cliff.

Strawberry

On foot of comment in the article at the OP:

You expect people with actual lives to sit around analysing a comment from an Express reader? He's probably expecting Diana to pull some strings in heaven to send us a freak snowstorm.

During the Scottish referendum, I learnt a new word - feartie. Look the word up robut, because you sound like one.

robut

You expect people with actual lives to sit around analysing a comment from an Express reader? He's probably expecting Diana to pull some strings in heaven to send us a freak snowstorm.

During the Scottish referendum, I learnt a new word - feartie. Look the word up robut, because you sound like one.
"Feartie - A coward or timid person."

Fair enough .. maybe I am, thanks for the label

OHHH ... and apologies from this timid coward for wasting your time Strawberry :D

And no I dont EXPECT people to do anything. If a waste of your time, then just dont bother with this thread, plenty of other threads here??

Last edited:

Tribal

Someone seriously posted a link from the Express like it was worthy of discussion?

Maybe a discussion about inciting xenophobia!

Gee, now what could inspiring all that agro against all those EU HNS staff.

That rag is a fossil of empire.

But it is interesting that they've turn their septic eye our way. I've felt that once they get frustrated with Brexit negotiations they'll start lashing out at us. When that happens at least it will harden people up in Ireland who still think the UK is a friendly nation..

Deadlock

On foot of comment in the article at the OP: ( Forget what paper, just take that comment from a UK perspective )

If Brexit goes nasty .. ends in hard brexit, really bad divorce .. could we have all gloves are off with ire in our direction whatever that is?
The balance of trade is in their favour - we are a larger market for their milk, banking, assurance, IP, oil, gas, soap operas, magazines and tabloids, than they are for our agrifoods, pharma, biotech, light machinery, IT and beer. A trade war would hit both badly - but possibly the UK worse since loss of the Irish export market means a loss of Euros earned and needed to pay for trade with Germany and the continental Eurozone.

robut

As an aside:

Ireland pays more than €400m in interest on UK bailout loan

Ireland has now paid £358 million (€428 million) in interest to the UK on a crisis loan it gave to the State in 2010.

A total of £3.2 billion was lent by the UK to the Republic as part of an international rescue package of the State’s collapsing economy. The latest report from the British treasury says Ireland has now paid the UK £358 million in interest since 2011.

Since June 2014, the UK exchequer has received an interest payment of around £42 million every six months.

It will be March 2021 before the bilateral loan’s term is up.

Trainwreck

We are a nation that finds comfort in self delusion.

Look no further than so many comments on this thread.

Spanner Island

Thoughts?
Thoughts... hmmmm... yep...

For 800 years Britain crapped on Ireland... and Brexit has proven they're prepared to crap all over us all over again...

It looks like their stint in the EU was a temporary pause in their arrogance... and not an acceptance of being partners and working with partners...

Fear what they may do to us and start minding our p's and q's and we will lose big time.

Resent Brexit and tell the UK exactly how much of a pain in the hole they are... while we maintain a determination to cope with it... and we will get through it...

We've coped with a lot over the centuries and we're still here... and I've no doubt we'll continue to cope.

It'll be interesting to see the UK cope once it's left... because their feckin' empire ain't coming back...

Tribal

We are a nation that finds comfort in self delusion.

Look no further than so many comments on this thread.
Speaking for yourself of course.

robut

Thoughts... hmmmm... yep...

For 800 years Britain crapped on Ireland... and Brexit has proven they're prepared to crap all over us all over again...

It looks like their stint in the EU was a temporary pause in their arrogance... and not an acceptance of being partners and working with partners...

Fear what they may do to us and start minding our p's and q's and we will lose big time.

Resent Brexit and tell the UK exactly how much of a pain in the hole they are... while we maintain a determination to cope with it... and we will get through it...

We've coped with a lot over the centuries and we're still here... and I've no doubt we'll continue to cope.

It'll be interesting to see the UK cope once it's left... because their feckin' empire ain't coming back...
Not saying mind Ps & Qs, walking on egg shells necessarily .. more like another scottish word (?? ) .. Be CANNY, Be cute?

Strawberry

"Feartie - A coward or timid person."

Fair enough .. maybe I am, thanks for the label

OHHH ... and apologies from this timid coward for wasting your time Strawberry :D

And no I dont EXPECT people to do anything. If a waste of your time, then just dont bother with this thread, plenty of other threads here??
The only country going over a cliff due to Brexit is Britain and the only currency facing turmoil is sterling. Express readers live in fantasy land and should be ignored.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies