Hey Big Spender! Expenses Scandal At WIT.

james toney

Spending Increased Twenty Fold in eight years at Waterford IT,Under it's Ex President,Prof.Kieran Byrne.
Incredibly,a flight was chartered for over €4,000 for just one person(Dr Jim Port) travelling Between Dublin and Waterford,thousands more was spent on Taxi's on round trips to and from Dublin,and €18,400 was spent on flowers.
But it seems that was not enough for those with a taste for the finer things in life,the office of the former president also spent a further €134,000 on"Fine Art".It's an Incredible amount of waste,and spending.Why wasn't this man halted sooner?
Staff silence on ex-WIT chief's spending - The Irish Times - Fri, Sep 28, 2012

Seems there is a second report,wont be published,how worse could it be?
Also Mr Byrne said that the expenses were good value for money,and defended them when his position was discussed for re appointment.He obviously has no shame,"Good Value for money":confused:
Waterford IT’s current president Dr Ruaidhrí Neavyn conceded that it “would be hard for me to put forward a justification” for the spending incurred under his predecessor’s watch – but said a further breakdown of spending, outlined in a second external report, could not be published.
WIT president increased office spending 20-fold in eight years, TDs are told

Professor Byrne was on a salary of €156,000 per annum,and was removed after ten years as head of WIT.The professor has retired on full pension,nice money if you can get it.
"The Union of Students in Ireland said the expenses scandal at WIT highlighted a pattern of “waste and excessive spending in the third level sector” and was not an isolated incident in the third level sector.

“The report on spending in WIT should be shocking to all who read it. However, USI has known for a long time that the findings of the report reflect a pattern of wasteful spending throughout the third level sector” said USI President John Logue."
http://www.thejournal.ie/waterford-college-expenses-579425-Aug2012/

http://www.independent.ie/national-...-over-lavish-spending-at-college-3243053.html

Last edited:

mocame

What went on in WIT is disgraceful in my opinion, but the criticism from USI is hilarious in view of the activities of their own member organisations.

UCD Students' Union has run up a million euro debt in recent years as a result of mismanagement by presidents who went on to be elected presidents of USI. As a result UCD Students Union has laid off staff, thereby depriving longstanding employees of their jobs (resulting in Labour Court cases) and diminishing services to students. At the same time they have cut (not eliminated) the Students' Union Contribution to booze at class parties.

Here are some nuggets from UCD's 'independent' (ie not funded by the SU) newspaper on their activities:

UCDSU accused of unfair dismissal | The College Tribune

Mystery Surrounds SU

SU Finances: An Open Letter from the UCDSU President | The College Tribune

Would it be too much to expect an investigative journal from RTE to cross the road and dig up some info on this scandal?

Hewson

IT's and Universities are forever dreaming up new ways to raise funds. I could never understand how they had the neck to go running around the country and overseas begging for cash while their Presidents lived the lives of Saudi Princes and their teaching staff drew salaries out of all proportion to their worth.

A friend of mine was the Principal at an art college in an Irish city. He told me that the teaching staff had contracts for a sixteen hour working week (yes, sixteen hours) and were on salaries of between £50,000 and £60,000 pa. And that was in the 1990s.

The levels of waste throughout whole swathes of the PS is bordering on criminal.

ergo2

Re flight from Waterford to Dublin - how urgent is it for an academic to get to Dublin?

alloverbartheshouting

[QUOTE} The spending was detailed in reports on Waterford IT by Deloitte and Grant Thornton, which were completed at a total cost of €130,000 to the college. [/QUOTE]

This is my favourite part of the article - the fact that no-one in a third-level institution could add up receipts or track spending by themselves.

Last edited:

Spanner Island

No wonder our third level institutions are tanking in the global rankings... when OUR money is being blown by jumped up a'holes like Kieran Byrne on sh!t like this...

€4K for a flight from Dublin to Waterford takes the f***in' biscuit though...

People like Byrne need to be fired without pay off or pension FFS and made an example of...

Parasitic vermin....

carruthers

Fugging hell, the sense of entitlement for some in this country is disgusting and comes from the top down. Getting an army helicopter to drop you to open a friends off license etc, Monkey see -monkey do. I suppose if yer man figured he'd cast iron security of tenure then why not go on a bender with the State's cash? What are they going to do about it? What have they ever done about it? Nothing except a golden handshake and a fat pension to see you through your middle years and on to old age.
The fact that I have to pay large amounts of tax to keep d1ckheads like this going, really boils my blood.

Thady Quill

This should kill off that daft idea of a University of the South-East.

How about the local media identifying the members of WIT's council? It would give the public an opportunity to chastise them openly but I suppose the people who voted for Martin Cullen are not too worried about this episode either.

Casualbets

IT's and Universities are forever dreaming up new ways to raise funds. I could never understand how they had the neck to go running around the country and overseas begging for cash while their Presidents lived the lives of Saudi Princes and their teaching staff drew salaries out of all proportion to their worth.

A friend of mine was the Principal at an art college in an Irish city. He told me that the teaching staff had contracts for a sixteen hour working week (yes, sixteen hours) and were on salaries of between £50,000 and £60,000 pa. And that was in the 1990s.

The levels of waste throughout whole swathes of the PS is bordering on criminal.
To be fair, that 16 hour figure would refer only to hours in the classroom/lecture theatre. It doesn't refer to hours spent on preparation/marking/meetings etc.

stopdoingstuff

I am so glad a certain mega************************ who shall remain nameless is no longer around .

Casualbets

This should kill off that daft idea of a University of the South-East.

How about the local media identifying the members of WIT's council? It would give the public an opportunity to chastise them openly but I suppose the people who voted for Martin Cullen are not too worried about this episode either.
I would disagree that the University of the South East is a daft idea - though the reason it has taken so long is because Waterford IT resisted for a long time having to merge with Carlow IT in order to gain that status. Whether it will actually work and produce tangible results is a moot point, though Ruaidhri Neavyn (likely first President) was a very competent and progressive Director of Carlow IT.

Samell

I take it he is not a professor of economics or mathematics.

maybe he is a professor of screwing a flawed system.

Sister Mercedes

Whether it will actually work and produce tangible results is a moot point, though Ruaidhri Neavyn (likely first President) was a very competent and progressive Director of Carlow IT.
From the OP:

The current president of Waterford IT, Ruaidhrí Neavyn, said the institute wanted the State to be “reassured that all action has been taken to ensure this matter has been resolved”.
The word "resolved" doesn't fill me with a lot of enthusiasm. It doesn't suggest any accountability.

alloverbartheshouting

I would disagree that the University of the South East is a daft idea - though the reason it has taken so long is because Waterford IT resisted for a long time having to merge with Carlow IT in order to gain that status. Whether it will actually work and produce tangible results is a moot point, though Ruaidhri Neavyn (likely first President) was a very competent and progressive Director of Carlow IT.
Of course it's a daft idea. UCC, TCD and UCD are three existing universities within easy reach of Waterford. We have far too many third-level institutions as it is, university-status or not.

Last edited:

Thady Quill

Byrne has exposed the idleness, incompetence and indifference of WIT’s governing body who not only gave him a blank cheque but actually wanted him re-appointed!
The SE's representatives cannot be trusted with our money and no way could Ruaidhri Neavyn be considered for an upgraded institution. No locals need apply would be a basic approach.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom