Hi mileage Audi A4's.

corporal punishment

As the thread title says. Looking at getting an A4 but even though there's absolutely loads of them out there for sale, most of them seem to have starship mileages on them. 150,000 miles plus on some of them. Obviously most of them are former fleet cars which explains the high miles. I've heard Audi's can go to much higher mileages than this without giving problems.
Anyone got any experience in this?

Edit: looking at 08/09 Diesels.

Mrwoody

Buy it cheap and get the timing chain kit done and it will do another 150,000 miles

corporal punishment

Define cheap. One just went up on DD. 2008. 75k miles. €7995. I'd say 7500 would buy it.

Gin Soaked

Buy the nicest spec / cleaners car you see. It is an old car, and there is nothing worse than a poverty spec car or one that has had a hard life

Avoid big rims. They ruin ride and the tyres cost more.

Multitronic gearboxes (automatic CVT) were poor. Stick to manual if that vintage.

And do the bloody timing belt unless it was just done with decent proof.

willow68

My car is 141 and has done 160k....easily done. Just watch service history, and get the darn timing belt done. It will run to 500k no probs...keep the good quality oil topped up.

Gin Soaked

My car is 141 and has done 160k....easily done. Just watch service history, and get the darn timing belt done. It will run to 500k no probs...keep the good quality oil topped up.
It will last longer like that than short journeys in town. Modern cars hate short journeys unless you have an electric car or hybrid.

wombat

Beware of road tax and insurance costs if considering an old car with a big engine. I have an 03 Lexus which served me well when I worked around the country but is way too expensive for my current use.

milipod

[video]https://cleantechnica.com/2017/05/21/likelihood-citywide-bans-slowly-pushing-diesel-cars-europe/[/video]

Mrwoody

Define cheap. One just went up on DD. 2008. 75k miles. €7995. I'd say 7500 would buy it.
That must be a fully loaded car sounds expensive, wait until January and the market will be flooded with the 3 year pcp finance cars then cars from 2010 down till drop like a stone, you will pick up a fully loaded 2008 for 4000k or less, its only 4 months away, hold your horses until then.

D

Deleted member 45466

As the thread title says. Looking at getting an A4 but even though there's absolutely loads of them out there for sale, most of them seem to have starship mileages on them. 150,000 miles plus on some of them. Obviously most of them are former fleet cars which explains the high miles. I've heard Audi's can go to much higher mileages than this without giving problems.

I got a high mileage A4 in February 07'. I can't remember what was on the clock, but it was previously owned by a sales rep, so it was high mileage.

After numerous problems with the crank shaft sensor - supposed to be a common fault in Audis - and forking out a few hundred yo yos to an Audi dealer (after a misdiagnosis by the guy who sold it to me) to get it fixed, I traded it in for another car in October '07. The engine warning light was illuminated practically all the time. Summat wrong with the brakes, indicators etc. etc. piece of shyte.

I don't know how accurate this info is, but Audi, Merc et al outsource their electronics to Renault and various other crappy car manufacturers. So whilst the engine will go forever, the bits and bobs that do the "thinking" don't last very long (e.g. crankshaft sensor). Problem is that it costs a fortune to replace the electronics. I'm not shewer why, but when I asked why it cost the equivalent of an IMF loan to replace a sensor, I was told "labour costs".

In conclusion: get a Fiat Punto. It'll probably last longer and cost less in M&R.

D

Deleted member 45466

Actually, I think there was 95K on the clock when I bought it.

Northsideman

Go to the occupied territories, if not sure yourself bring a mech with you, you'll get a better spec car and much better value than in our rip off republic.

toconn

Great car ! Had an 04 ( my wife's car actually ) till a farmer reversed his tractor and trailer back out a field gate blocking the whole road. We met at 80 Kmph ! I survived which was a testimony to its construction .

corporal punishment

Great car ! Had an 04 ( my wife's car actually ) till a farmer reversed his tractor and trailer back out a field gate blocking the whole road. We met at 80 Kmph ! I survived which was a testimony to its construction .
Been looking at the UK as I'll be over there in a week or so for a funeral. Big savings to be had but then of course there's the PCP car deluge in January to be considered and the knock down effect on prices. What to do, what to do. My current car is a Volvo V50. One problem after another. Mechanics advice was to get rid and buy a C220. He mentioned that "Audi's are good too" hence looking at A4's. Mercs are dearer and the Road tax is higher.

macs magic

Been looking at the UK as I'll be over there in a week or so for a funeral. Big savings to be had but then of course there's the PCP car deluge in January to be considered and the knock down effect on prices. What to do, what to do. My current car is a Volvo V50. One problem after another. Mechanics advice was to get rid and buy a C220. He mentioned that "Audi's are good too" hence looking at A4's. Mercs are dearer and the Road tax is higher.
I've an Audi A4 2.0 diesel. Best car I've ever had. Never had 1 problem and it runs on fresh air

Ireniall

If it's the 2.0 tdi make absolutely sure you don't get the one with the VDO/Continental/Siemens injectors or factor in the 2000euro price tag in the sale price. Some of them have Bosch and they are much better though perhaps a little thirstier. Similarly the 1.6 tdi modern VAG engine all have these injectors which are among the worst out there. Do not attempt to have them repaired as they will not last. In my experience there are a couple of English outfits who have good exchange on these units but I suspect that the reason is that they can test well enough to reject those that will not repair and they have a nationwide system for buying in old units from which they pick out the good ones. No one in Ireland can replicate that. Other than this 150,00 is nothing too much to be afraid of but try to get one that did mainly motorway driving. It's easier on the engine , suspension, gearbox etc.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies