• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Hide and Sikh. Garda Reservist Prevented from Wearing Turban on Service.

ruserious

A member of the Sikh community has been forced to withdraw from service after being refused permission to wear a 'police turban' on service to the state. The Sikh man had completed several weeks of training before being given uniform which did not include a turban which his religion demands of him. Sikh loses challenge to refusal by Garda Reserve to allow turbans on duty - Crime & Law News from Ireland & Abroad | The Irish Times - Fri, May 31, 2013
He made a complaint under the Equality Acts alleging he was treated less favourably than others in accessing employment and in his conditions of employment.
Lawyers for the Garda Commissioner argued members of the Garda Reserve are not “employees” within the meaning of the Equality Acts and therefore the Acts did not apply to them.
This is blatant discrimination against a member of the community who wishes to serve. Just look at other modern states around us to see that it can be facilitated in service: Is it time Ireland became more accommodating?

Aindriu

Disgusting. Every other country allows them to!! Sort it out Kenny!

FrankSpeaks

Sorry, I think there has to be rules, would you allow women gardaí to wear a Burqua? Would you allow a naturist to police naked?

Would you allow a Pastafarian to wear a strainer?

Ribeye

Every single person who applies to be a Garda reservist is a fckn power hungry nutcase and should be shunned by society,

They say they want to serve, but really they just get off on the power,

Sick fckn freaks and sad ba5tards, all of them,

ruserious

Sorry, I think there has to be rules, would you allow women gardaí to wear a Burqua? Would you allow a naturist to police naked?

Would you allow a pastafarian to wear a sieve?

The turban would be replacing the police hat. Not adding anything as such. Different kettle.

B

Boggle

The gardai are a non-religious organisation where everybody is treated the same and everybody wears the same uniform.
Leave it at that.

I certainly don't want gardai going around with religious symbols or dress.

ruserious

Every single person who applies to be a Garda reservist is a fckn power hungry nutcase and should be shunned by society,

They say they want to serve, but really they just get off on the power,

Sick fckn freaks and sad ba5tards, all of them,
Or proactive members of the community who want to be part of a presence making their community safer rather than posting hate online,

sport02

A similar case occurred about five years ago, or maybe more. And if I remember correctly, the arguement put forward by the Gardai was, you should be proud to wear the uniform in its entirety, cap included.

FrankSpeaks

IbrahaimMohamad

The gardai are a non-religious organisation where everybody is treated the same and everybody wears the same uniform.
Leave it at that.

I certainly don't want gardai going around with religious symbols or dress.
The Army are hardly non religious as it is a practice for the Army to present arms at Catholic Masses!

Tea Party Patriot

British army late 19th Century, it seems we are a few hundred years behind:

Ribeye

Would you allow a Pastafarian to wear a strainer?

Ramen brother, Ramen,

Blessed be his noodly appendages!

IbrahaimMohamad

A similar case occurred about five years ago, or maybe more. And if I remember correctly, the arguement put forward by the Gardai was, you should be proud to wear the uniform in its entirety, cap included.
Several Gardai have been disciplined for not wearing the cap in public!