• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

High Court orders UPC to disclose Blogger Identity

Munnkeyman

High Court orders UPC to disclose Red Cross Blogger Identity

The High Court has today ordered internet provider UPC Communications to disclose the identity of a blogger who posted information about the Irish Red Cross on a website.

They are now taking action against Google one of their largest donors.

Last edited:

The Caped Cod

A 'senior figure' at the charity, who spoke to the Sunday Business Post newspaper on condition of anonymity, has expressed unease at the legal action, pointing out that Google was one of the International Red Cross's largest donors.
Tit.
Another attack on internet freedom. I, for one, will be writting an email to the Red Cross to express my disappointment with their decision and how it will reflect on m ypersona charitiable donations.

Munnkeyman

Tit.
Another attack on internet freedom. I, for one, will be writting an email to the Red Cross to express my disappointment with their decision and how it will reflect on m ypersona charitiable donations.
It was front page on the Sunday Times yesterday.
Jenny Bulbulia a barrister and government-appointed
member of the IRC's central council was quoted as saying

"One of the major concerns was a lack of financial transparency."

"The uncovering of an undeclared bank account holding €150,000
that I was told had been collected at the time of the tsunami
appeal was a great shock."

"The money was only sent forward when discovered by
way of an internal audit into several undeclared bank accounts.
This is unacceptable.
That Tony Lawlor is now in the position of acting chairperson is,
to my mind, concerning"

He3

Is this what the Irish Red Cross was set up to do?

godot666

orbit

Sounds reasonable enough to me, so long as it really is their intention to pursue the blogger directly. That's not to say the blogger has necessarily done anything wrong. But, people can't just say damaging things about others and expect to remain anonymous. in a way, it's a bit more disturbing to think that google should be immune to any action, just because it's a big charity donor itself.

Munnkeyman

Sounds reasonable enough to me, so long as it really is their intention to pursue the blogger directly. That's not to say the blogger has necessarily done anything wrong. But, people can't just say damaging things about others and expect to remain anonymous. in a way, it's a bit more disturbing to think that google should be immune to any action, just because it's a big charity donor itself.
Why not challenge the Sunday Times the Irish Examiner and the Sunday Business Post for printing the same allegations?

The Caped Cod

This cae seems to be about setting precedent. Nothing more.

orbit

Why not challenge the Sunday Times the Irish Examiner and the Sunday Business Post for printing the same allegations?
Maybe that's what they intend to do. But, it was the blogger who published them first, and his/her identity isn't known.

The Caped Cod

Maybe that's what they intend to do. But, it was the blogger who published them first, and his/her identity isn't known.
What difference does it make if the allegation is true?

Harmonica

Sounds reasonable enough to me, so long as it really is their intention to pursue the blogger directly. That's not to say the blogger has necessarily done anything wrong. But, people can't just say damaging things about others and expect to remain anonymous.
+1. Obviously there is a freedom of expression issue but thee are limits that. Like most things these issues are never black or white.

The Caped Cod

I think a swift boycott of the Irish Red Cross is required.
Dangerous ground. THe Red Cross do some good work all round the world. We are dealing with it's extremely well paid directors and their lawyers.
But perhaps letters to the Red Crss reminding htem that an administration that would cause such bad publicity for the organisataion is clearly not doing it's job, $150,000 resting in an account aside, and may have a detrimental effect on the organisations future fundraising appeals.

Twin Towers

Just tracking down a specific connection may not lead to a specific blogger particularly if said blogger anticipated a witch-hunt.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Dangerous ground. THe Red Cross do some good work all round the world. We are dealing with it's extremely well paid directors and their lawyers.
But perhaps letters to the Red Crss reminding htem that an administration that would cause such bad publicity for the organisataion is clearly not doing it's job, $150,000 resting in an account aside, and may have a detrimental effect on the organisations future fundraising appeals.
And rightly so. If the organisation is corrupt, inefficient or acting as "Big Brother" in trying to deny people's ability to show it up, then they do not deserve to be supported. There arre plenty of other charities that can be supported.

The Caped Cod

if the allegation can be proven to be true, then the blogger has nothing to worry about.
He has had his anonymity compromised. This is generaly important for bloggers. If you have a blog, what's stopping me from doing the same if I don't like something you write. Once the blogger is unmasked he/she is far less likely to continue posting.

Now I'm off to look through your post history..... ;)

ballot stuffer

Just tracking down a specific connection may not lead to a specific blogger particularly if said blogger anticipated a witch-hunt.
+1

The lesson here is if you are going to post something that could get you in legal hot water is to use some sort of privacy protection like tor, anonymous proxies or post it in a net cafe or public wireless.

Munnkeyman

+1. Obviously there is a freedom of expression issue but thee are limits that. Like most things these issues are never black or white.

Have you read the blog?
It's mainly quotations from verifiable sources and
Dail transcripts.
Essentially similar to the criticisms and opinions
voiced on this site.
A very foolish move imo by the Red Cross.