• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

High court ruling quashes the anti begging law

Don Herron

Some excellent news for the most disadvantaged, vulnerable people in the community. The Criminal Justice (Public Order) 2011 Act, which prohibited begging near ATMs and shops has been quashed. Gardai now have to establish whether beggars have a licence under the Street and House to House Collection Act of 1962.

The High Court case was brought in the names of two men – Florin Rostas, a Roma gypsy, and John Maughan.

Their lawyers argued successfully that under the Act the gardai must establish that they did not have a licence to solicit money from the public.

Both had been charged under Section 2 of the 2011 Act, which prohibits begging that involves harassment or obstruction.

The 2011 Act defines begging as requesting or soliciting money "other than in accordance with a licence, permit or authorisation".

The High Court found that the gardai were obliged "to establish a prima facie case that the begging took place without legal authorisation".

It added: "Once this is established the burden of proof is transferred to the accused to establish a reasonable doubt as to the legality of the begging.

"It is a matter for the trial judge to decide if a prima facie case has been established."

The High Court case succeeded in January last year but it took a further year for the bulk of the begging convictions – it is understood there were around 200 convictions – to begin being struck out on appeal.

Once this began the beggars began returning to the streets.
High Court ruling helps put beggars back on our streets - Independent.ie

I must say that I thought this law was, at least in part, motivated by racism towards the Roma community. At least now they can practice their culture with much less fear of being arrested by the gardai. Well done to the solicitors and the judge involved.

Ulster-Lad

poxy ruling

Mercurial

Some excellent news for the most disadvantaged, vulnerable people in the community. The Criminal Justice (Public Order) 2011 Act, which prohibited begging near ATMs and shops has been quashed. Gardai now have to establish whether beggars have a licence under the Street and House to House Collection Act of 1962.

I must say that I thought this law was, at least in part, motivated by racism towards the Roma community. At least now they can practice their culture with much less fear of being arrested by the gardai. Well done to the solicitors and the judge involved.
You're not fooling anyone, troll.

damus

Does this mean that the Gardai must first ask the person who is begging whether they have a license to collect money before they can move them on?

Bill

Yeah but Don you think everything is some form of racism.

Ulster-Lad

Yeah but Don you think everything is some form of racism.
I like the bit where he says they can practice their culture. petunia

eoghanacht

I've a Roma neighbour who used to own a stall in the market which he and his family worked for the last two years and a few before that.

He saved up enough to be able to sign a lease on a shop on the main street and is doing quite well.

He abhors seeing his own begging. Says it makes it harder for the likes of him who wish to become accepted to do just that.

I drew parallels with the first Italian immigrants to America and the following of that by the maffia and how after a generation people began to realise that not all Italians are mafioso and that in time people here will come to realise that not all roma are criminals.

He welcomed the ban on begging as he said 'It will stop the gangs traveling here and allow those in the community (Roma) present another face of the Roma people.

johnny365

This is a mistake by Gardai,they can still prosecute. They need to get a certificate for a Supt saying that the person in question has not got a permit and take it from there, Basically its Garda procedure errors that brought about this.

Don if you think some of the Roma beggars are some of the most disadvantaged in our society they your not living in the real world.

nonpartyboy

Indeed, maybe they'll stop cleaning shops out of it up and down the country now......a good day for shopkeepers.

johnny365

Worse, the Gardai have to prove the person didn't have a permit.
This is a joke as they will have to go to the Supt and get a cert saying th person in question doe snot have a permit. Roma begging is a serious problem for the tourist trade in this country.

storybud1

This can be easily fixed, all the government have to do is pass a law that anyone who is soliciting money for charity or begging on the streets must have a permit to do so. They simply go to the local Garda station with photo ID and proof of where they live. The Garda if satisfied can issue a day ticket costing about a Euro for that area only.

That way a record is kept and Garda on the beat will know who has a permit to collect on that day and can check with the desk sergeant any ticket issued.

It would take normal people about an hour to come up with a plan and implement it.

stakerwallace

They should criminalise the act of giving money to non-charitable street collectors. The fine would be equal to the amount given, and the money taken and given to proper charities.
So if I give to the local wino, I get done for the same amount.. ah Jaysus.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Has the Court really quashed the legislation?

It sounds like they've merely required that the Gardai make an enquiry of the individual as part if the process.