High Loon, with George Hook.

benroe

First time to hear G hooks new program obviously aimed at the religious conservative.

He said at the start of the show that the watering down of christianity would lead to defections to other more dogmatically immutable religions and gave examples of Islam and Sikhism, could someone please tell me how someone can go from being certain of the existence and primacy of one god and then turn around and believe the same of a completely different god without first realising that they will believe in basically anything?

He is busy rubbishing scientific studies, misrepresenting their results and claiming that their is a science/atheist conspiracy against religion.

Guest after guest agreeing with his point of view as if there was no other, claiming the vast majority of texts and e=mails also agree with his obvious bias.

I think science is the eyes and ears of humanity and ignoring them is akin to walking around with ears plugged and eyes firmly shut ignoring reality and putting delusion on a pedestal.
Is there really a large cohort of listeners willing to listen to the views of people so obviously deluded?

High Noon | Newstalk

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I wonder how the idea of giving an Imam a radio show around lunchtime to run an echo chamber on national radio around Islam would be received.

Sooner or later the morons will realise that the facility they give to one set of deluded loons also has to be afforded to the others sets of deluded loons.

Which means all you end up with is differently branded loon-hours. Are there any programmes presented by secularists discussing the damage religious mania has done in the past and which is busily facilitating lunatics the world over as we speak? Or would that be a bit too courageous for those who commission programming in Ireland?

Windowshopper

Earlier in the week he had a grandmother warning about the dangers of the HPV vaccine. Now, I feel sorry for the women and her daughter but the studies have proving that there is a very low risk of serious harm from the vaccine, and correlation is not causation.

The HPV vaccine is a bête noire of the Catholic right because it gives young girls permission to have sex because the only thing stopping people having sex is ignorance of its existence or fear. If the odd girl gets cancer sure that's a risk they are willing to take. Call me paranoid but I'd imagine if one dug into the campaign one would see the usual who's who of the Catholic right in the middle of it.

Boy M5

There's kind of thread about Hooky & Noosetalk already.
It's called "Newstalk's new schedule"

Or rather a programme aimed at the slowly dying off religious conservatives. I guess this phase will last another five,ten years or so.And then hopefully we can all forget about our embarrassment listening to such silliness. Sad in a way to think people actually have to die off rather than attempt to change their views.

Ireland always had form with its bien-pensants.

Dub01

I wonder how the idea of giving an Imam a radio show around lunchtime to run an echo chamber on national radio around Islam would be received.

Sooner or later the morons will realise that the facility they give to one set of deluded loons also has to be afforded to the others sets of deluded loons.

Which means all you end up with is differently branded loon-hours. Are there any programmes presented by secularists discussing the damage religious mania has done in the past and which is busily facilitating lunatics the world over as we speak? Or would that be a bit too courageous for those who commission programming in Ireland?
Why? Who is going to force Newstalk into giving equal air time to all religions?

Levellers

That's nothing. I just spent a week away and turned on Newstalk at 7.00am to discover the cretinous Paul Williams on!

effer

Anything more on The Left Hook from Paul Murphy? When is it going to be on?

Truth.ie

First time to hear G hooks new program obviously aimed at the religious conservative.

He said at the start of the show that the watering down of christianity would lead to defections to other more dogmatically immutable religions and gave examples of Islam and Sikhism, could someone please tell me how someone can go from being certain of the existence and primacy of one god and then turn around and believe the same of a completely different god without first realising that they will believe in basically anything?

He is busy rubbishing scientific studies, misrepresenting their results and claiming that their is a science/atheist conspiracy against religion.

Guest after guest agreeing with his point of view as if there was no other, claiming the vast majority of texts and e=mails also agree with his obvious bias.

I think science is the eyes and ears of humanity and ignoring them is akin to walking around with ears plugged and eyes firmly shut ignoring reality and putting delusion on a pedestal.
Is there really a large cohort of listeners willing to listen to the views of people so obviously deluded?

High Noon | Newstalk
Without a verbatim quote, its hard to comment.
But, I'd agree with him that the erosion of Christianity is not a good thing for any society.
You dont have to be a Christian to see that.

Vega1447

Without a verbatim quote, its hard to comment.
But, I'd agree with him that the erosion of Christianity is not a good thing for any society.
You dont have to be a Christian to see that.
Yes you do..

Religious belief (Google the word "religion") is certainly a restraining force on the behaviour of the masses.

But so is a fanatical devotion to football.

Doesn't mean either is to be admired.

Truth.ie

Yes you do..

Religious belief (Google the word "religion") is certainly a restraining force on the behaviour of the masses.

In what way is football a restraining force on society?
A society with a strong Christian influence is hands down a much better society.
That and a white majority.
Uncomfortable but true.

RepublicOfLuas

Yes you do..

You sound so insecure about religion.

Religion can certainly be a restraining force, especially if you don't know how to use it.

:)

Rural

Poor auld Hookey has become as mad as the proverbial brush, didn't he admit to wearing the wife's frillies recently (?).

Vega1447

In what way is football a restraining force on society?
A society with a strong Christian influence is hands down a much better society.
That and a white majority.
Uncomfortable but true.
(Fanatical devotion to) Football deflects energies that might otherwise be applied to forcing social change.

E.G. the Celtic vs. Rangers nonsense in Glasgow.

Vega1447

You sound so insecure about religion.

Religion can certainly be a restraining force, especially if you don't know how to use it.

:)
Not insecure re religion, I just dislike collective self-delusion.

Vega1447

Poor auld Hookey has become as mad as the proverbial brush, didn't he admit to wearing the wife's frillies recently (?).
That's an image worth (not) visualizing.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies