Highest homicide rate of young men in western Europe: Ireland

He3

The list of lists that Ireland would be better off not heading is lengthening.

IRELAND has the highest homicide rate of young men in western Europe and the second highest rate of knife killings, according to the World Health Organisation.

Read more: Ireland tops study on young male homicides | Irish Examiner

Link to the Report http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0012/121314/E94277.pdf

The report analysed homicide figures among 10 to 29-year-olds between 2004and 2006 (the latest three years available) in 45 European countries, including Russia and its former states, Eastern European and Baltic states.

Suggestions?

The WHO says:

The experience of several countries in the Region shows that public policy and sustained approaches that address the underlying causes of violence can make countries safer. Protective factors can prevent violence from developing among young people. These include good social skills, self-esteem, academic achievement, strong bonds with parents, positive peer groups, good attachment to school, community involvement and access to social support.

http://www.euro.who.int/en/what-we-do/health-topics/disease-prevention/violence-and-injuries/news/news/2010/09/preventing-youth-violence

Last edited:

eoghanacht

No point He3, there's no votes in it, so they won't lift a finger.

eoghanacht

theObserver@hotmail.com

Nope just Darwinism at play and then lock up the last scroat left standing.
Problem is, there are always more people entering the game so there will never be a last man standing. The potential rewards are just too great, not to mention the glamour protrayed by certain tv shows. Innocents get hurt.

He3

And there is your confirmation, HE3, that nothing will be done about this.
Pauli, you are right but only up to a point. The government inaction will continue.

But there are plenty of people - some reading this site - who in their places of work or elsewhere have a role to play, and they deserve to be supported. The suggestions by the WHO are sound and can be implemented despite government at least to a certain degree.

B

Boggle

Sure we'll just explain that to the parents.

"Your son deserved to die lady, just accept it!".

(Of course the stats could be skewed as other countries would, I assume, have higher incidence of gun crime.)

Edit; my cousin was knifed and nearly killed a few years back and he is certainly not a druggie. Just had the misfortune to look the wrong way at one who was drunk and angry. It may come as a shock to you but the victims of knife attacks are often innocents with nothing to do with drugs and generally just on a night out.

The Field Marshal

If druggies wish to eliminate each other then let the stats stay as they are.
odie1kanobe is happy that one group in society can decide to enforce the death penalty within their own community with no regard to Irish state law.

According to his/her reasoning therefor if members of a local housing estate community have a falling out, then its ok for the protagonists to kill each other.

Indeed if prisoners in jail kill each other, what the heck, its their rules why should the Gardai or the state get involved?

odie1kanobe,s position is irresponsible and unsustainable.

slx

A major reform of the justice system is needed here in Ireland.

1) Stop jailing people for stupid things, it's a waste of money and often quite counterproductive. There are alternative sanctions e.g. community service, attachments to earnings etc etc that can be used instead.
Stupid things : e.g. not paying TV license, not paying road traffic fines, criminal damage (non violent e.g. graffiti etc).

2) Deal with drug-related offenses (not dealers) through compulsory treatment of addicts rather than jail time.

... these would free-up places in prisons. If necessary, place people in secure treatment units until they're "clean".

3) Violent crime, particularly with a weapon, should carry much more severe sentences. Stabbing someone should always be assumed to be attempted murder, you don't stab someone for any reason other than to kill them.

4) Drug dealers should be cracked down on with much more severe penalties and appropriate facilities i.e. totally secure "super max" style should be used for gang/drug lord types so that they cannot continue to intimidate people from prison.

5) Utterly ball-breaking financial measures taken against the proceeds of crime. CAB X 1000

There's very little imagination when it comes to how justice and crime could be tackled here. The justice system is a mess. It seems to disproportionately hit people for really minor offenses which have no impact on society's safety. Meanwhile, it lets violent thugs off with minor sanctions.

B

Boggle

A major reform of the justice system is needed here in Ireland.

1) Stop jailing people for stupid things, it's a waste of money and often quite counterproductive. There are alternative sanctions e.g. community service, attachments to earnings etc etc that can be used instead.
Stupid things : e.g. not paying TV license, not paying road traffic fines, criminal damage (non violent e.g. graffiti etc).

2) Deal with drug-related offenses (not dealers) through compulsory treatment of addicts rather than jail time.

... these would free-up places in prisons. If necessary, place people in secure treatment units until they're "clean".

3) Violent crime, particularly with a weapon, should carry much more severe sentences. Stabbing someone should always be assumed to be attempted murder, you don't stab someone for any reason other than to kill them.

4) Drug dealers should be cracked down on with much more severe penalties and appropriate facilities i.e. totally secure "super max" style should be used for gang/drug lord types so that they cannot continue to intimidate people from prison.

5) Utterly ball-breaking financial measures taken against the proceeds of crime. CAB X 1000

There's very little imagination when it comes to how justice and crime could be tackled here.
Point 5. Agree but it is difficult to implement as it is difficult to beat the Bertie response of "I won it on the horses". How can you ever safely prove they didn't?

Point 4. Generally agree that it would be a good move - also, keeping in them in sperate cells so that they cannot use the prison for networking purposes would be an idea. Expensive though and i'm not sure it'd work.

Point 3. Absolutely and unreservedly agree.

Point 2. Not sure it'd work. Simply because i think people have to want to quit to actually quit, regardless of what programs you put in place. If someone has nothing in their life BUT drugs then why would they want to give that up?

Point 1. Agree.

Anyway, I still think that the only way to deal with the effects of drug dealers on communities is to legalise certain, if not all, drugs. No publicity, no advertising, no incentive. If you want them you can get them but at least we can be assured that you get competent advice on them, so have their eyes open going in, instead of the lies peddled by dealers and we can actually make it somewhat difficult for kids to get their hands on them.

odie1kanobe is happy that one group in society can decide to enforce the death penalty within their own community with no regard to Irish state law.

According to his/her reasoning therefor if members of a local housing estate community have a falling out, then its ok for the protagonists to kill each other.

Indeed if prisoners in jail kill each other, what the heck, its their rules why should the Gardai or the state get involved?

odie1kanobe,s position is irresponsible and unsustainable.
If druggies wish to kill each them let them do it.

The Field Marshal

So you will then have no problem then next time you fall out with your neighbour
and he decides that you must die and implements the decision.

Naturally of course your surviving family wont mind when the Gardai decide not to investigate too closely and pass the incident off as just another little fatal tiff between neighbours.

Sure arent neighbours falling out all the time,if they murder each other in the process,well too bad thats life.

This is odie1kanobe,s view of a happy and ordered society:rolleyes:

Hope it keeps fine for you odie.

He3

Sure we'll just explain that to the parents.

"Your son deserved to die lady, just accept it!".

(Of course the stats could be skewed as other countries would, I assume, have higher incidence of gun crime.)

Edit; my cousin was knifed and nearly killed a few years back and he is certainly not a druggie. Just had the misfortune to look the wrong way at one who was drunk and angry. It may come as a shock to you but the victims of knife attacks are often innocents with nothing to do with drugs and generally just on a night out.
odie's world is very simple

So you will then have no problem then next time you fall out with your neighbour
and he decides that you must die and implements the decision.

Naturally of course your surviving family wont mind when the Gardai decide not to investigate too closely and pass the incident off as just another little fatal tiff between neighbours.

Sure arent neighbours falling out all the time,if they murder each other in the process,well too bad thats life.

This is odie1kanobe,s view of a happy and ordered society:rolleyes:

Hope it keeps fine for you odie.
You attempting to suggest I am involved in drug trade ?

imokyrok

As the mother of two sons I'm not happy to turn a blind eye and just dismiss it as thugs killing thugs. I moved out of Dublin eight years ago specifically because every woman I knew who had a son in their teens and early twenties had a tale to tell about their son being beaten in an unprovoked attack.

Last weekend my eldest son went to a nightclub on O'Connell St and we were petrified until he came home safely. This is not the kind of society we should be blasé about.

florin

But the existence of a drug and gang culture means more young men will always be drawn in. Why is a boy from Sallynoggin far more likely to join a gang / become a heroin addict than one from Ranelagh? Is it because he is naturally inferior, or because of the economic and social conditions he grew up under?

B

Boggle

You attempting to suggest I am involved in drug trade ?
No, just on drugs.

Like I said, not all victims of knife crime have ever touched a drug in their life. Often they just looked at the wrong person the wrong way at the wrong time.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies