"Highly probable that entire Irish crayfish population will be wiped out" - outbreak of crayfish plague on River Suir earlier this month

nationalsday

"Highly probable that entire Irish crayfish population will be wiped out" - outbreak of crayfish plague on River Suir earlier this month

"All water users are being urged to take precautions after confirmation of an outbreak of Crayfish Plague on a stretch of the River Suir downstream of Clonmel to Carrick-on-Suir. It comes after large numbers of dead freshwater crayfish were reported on the river earlier this month. DNA analysis has now confirmed that the cause of death was crayfish plague.

The kill has only impacted White-clawed Crayfish and other freshwater animals are not affected. This is a characteristic feature of the disease which only infects species of crayfish but causes 100% mortality. Given the experience of outbreaks elsewhere, a total kill of the population is expected which will have major consequences for the ecology of the river"

Irish Angling Update » Water users urged to take precautions to limit an outbreak of Crayfish Plague

This is disease is likely to cause the complete extinction on this island of the white-clawed crayfish, a globally threatened species, of which Ireland currently has the world's largest remaining population. on the island of Ireland. The disease will also fundamentally impact the ecology of river systems habitats as it is eaten by trout, pike, otters and herons. A spokesman for Irish National Biodiversity Data Centre said:- "Either the disease was introduced accidentally from equipment used in contaminated UK waters, or else non-native species have been illegally introduced to the area and have now passed the disease to the native white-clawed crayfish”.

River Suir crayfish plague

Isn't it about time that there was put in place a total ban - similar to the ban organised in the foot and mouth crisis - on all freshwater boats e.g. canoes river cruisers transported to Ireland from the U.K. or mainland Europe to be used on inland waterways; and, very serious penalties to be imposed on anyone found importing live bait from outside the country. In my experience the principal culprits in nearly all of these cases are the brit anglers - I'll bet that this disaster was caused by the negligent use of imported live bait for angling use.

Anyway who will give a sh#t here? Not immediately evident that any jobs or lolly is lost by the casual extinction of the little blighter, therefore - so what?..

GDPR

You are talking to the wrong people.

Piesters never get out of the house, know nothing about the natural environment, and think that cray-fish are an STD they would never enjoy the good fortune to possibly contract.

GDPR

I think it is an alarming development, and with other pressures such as invasive species and pollution, that such destruction of a species could lead to a domino effect on our internal waterways. Unfortunately we do not take our waters seriously in terms of conservation or the potential in them, as they're not land based with giant EU subsidies to incentivise.

GDPR

Ah sure, our resident expert on everything has plenty of knowledge to impart on us on the subject matter of crayfish extinction any minute now. Oh right, it's not about the ego on the pitch and putt course, carry on.

GDPR

Ah sure, our resident expert on everything has plenty of knowledge to impart on us on the subject matter of crayfish extinction any minute now. Oh right, it's not about the ego on the pitch and putt course, carry on.
Im waiting to hear from an expert, not a silly little boy who is too scared to quote me when having a sly jab :D

nationalsday

I think it is an alarming development, and with other pressures such as invasive species and pollution, that such destruction of a species could lead to a domino effect on our internal waterways. Unfortunately we do not take our waters seriously in terms of conservation or the potential in them, as they're not land based with giant EU subsidies to incentivise.
It is alarming - and quite apart from the ecological disaster it will have economic ramifications if it affects fish stocks - recent report of Inland Fisheries Ireland states angling worth 0.75 billion euros to the economy and supports 10,000 rural jobs

New Study - Angling worth

GDPR

Tell that to the cray-fish, you sociopaths.

For is not their life as sweet to them as yours ..... (well forget that bit, I know you all smell).
-
Astoundingly vapid as usual. Tell us your views on what should be contained in the River Basin Management Plan 2018-2021, so that I can be well prepared for the workshop/seminar on said subject in a couple of weeks time:confused:

milipod

[video=youtube;0Fju9o8BVJ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fju9o8BVJ8[/video]

New Threads