His name was James

ticketyboo

This is a low level story which will most likely fail to see a three line paragraph on the inside of a popular newspaper, and so the only small thing I can do is to attempt to bring it into some kind of public consciousness by starting a thread here...
I write it in the context of the numbers of homeless this week being recorded at record levels...
Someone close to me, having recently started work on the east coast, admirably, having come into contact with members of the "you are not alone" group, started doing some volunteer work with the homeless in our capital city...

Some time ago, to illustrate beyond any doubt that this is a fate that can befall ANYONE, he told me about James....
James was until recently plodding along, married, two incomes, probably paid more for his home than is warranted.
One morning, James woke to find his wife dead in bed beside him....brain hemorrhage....after the trauma of that and one salary less to pay the mortgage, at a point in time he lost his own job and his fate was sealed.

When my source and others asked why he wouldn't avail of the sheltered accommodation, he said that he was too afraid to use it because of conditions within and felt safer sleeping rough on the streets...
Last week James was found frozen to death.....as I have said I expect zero publicity in the grand affairs of the nation's media, so for myself the only thing I can do is to bring it to readers attention, and to puzzle as to why we cannot solve this problem...
I happened upon one of those puff pieces advertising holidays in this county last week...in the course of that piece was the information that there are tens of thousands of empty properties in this county alone, yet a man like James can die alone with a small amount of misfortune and we are incapable of help, lest the capitalist system and laissez-faire economics is harmed.....
I don't know the answer...I just wanted to mark the fact that James lived among us and that we willl think of him and others in that predicament in the time to come.

gleeful

This is why mortgage providers in Ireland require life insurance to the value of the mortgage.

ger12

There was a man interviewed on the radio some months ago, homeless and telling his story, who also woke to find his wife dead in bed beside him of a brain hemorrhage. I wonder if this is the same person?

Where did this man die and when?

ticketyboo

There was a man interviewed on the radio some months ago, homeless and telling his story, who also woke to find his wife dead in bed beside him of a brain hemorrhage. I wonder if this is the same person?

Where did this man die and when?
I think that strikes a chord with me....is on the grounds of probability the same man....
Not sure of the exact time he died due to post Xmas holidays and all, but must be Dublin as that's where they do the bulk of volunteer work.

SeanieFitz

This is a low level story which will most likely fail to see a three line paragraph on the inside of a popular newspaper, and so the only small thing I can do is to attempt to bring it into some kind of public consciousness by starting a thread here...
I write it in the context of the numbers of homeless this week being recorded at record levels...
Someone close to me, having recently started work on the east coast, admirably, having come into contact with members of the "you are not alone" group, started doing some volunteer work with the homeless in our capital city...

Some time ago, to illustrate beyond any doubt that this is a fate that can befall ANYONE, he told me about James....
James was until recently plodding along, married, two incomes, probably paid more for his home than is warranted.
One morning, James woke to find his wife dead in bed beside him....brain hemorrhage....after the trauma of that and one salary less to pay the mortgage, at a point in time he lost his own job and his fate was sealed.

When my source and others asked why he wouldn't avail of the sheltered accommodation, he said that he was too afraid to use it because of conditions within and felt safer sleeping rough on the streets...
Last week James was found frozen to death.....as I have said I expect zero publicity in the grand affairs of the nation's media, so for myself the only thing I can do is to bring it to readers attention, and to puzzle as to why we cannot solve this problem...
I happened upon one of those puff pieces advertising holidays in this county last week...in the course of that piece was the information that there are tens of thousands of empty properties in this county alone, yet a man like James can die alone with a small amount of misfortune and we are incapable of help, lest the capitalist system and laissez-faire economics is harmed.....
I don't know the answer...I just wanted to mark the fact that James lived among us and that we willl think of him and others in that predicament in the time to come.
I am not casting doubts on what you have posted but I have to pull you up on what you said about our media. For all their failings, and they have many, they do give the issue of homelessness considerable coverage and have relayed individual tragedies

This is why mortgage providers in Ireland require life insurance to the value of the mortgage.
The mortgage might possibly have been in his name only.

ticketyboo

I am not casting doubts on what you have posted but I have to pull you up on what you said about our media. For all their failings, and they have many, they do give the issue of homelessness considerable coverage and have relayed individual tragedies
OK....we can pass mention on these problems, waiting lists and all...as in the great famine which many commentators have said wasn't a famine because there was food available to feed people, we shouldn't have these problems because we are not Aleppo, God love them.
We don't hold our legislators to account for allowing these issues to exist because we lack the political will to solve them, and the reason is probably the same as that given by Trevelyan all those years ago....if I recall the quote correctly, he said that to provide government assistance would be "to have this country on you for years"....
We have a political class which believes that should we provide asssitance for those who need it then it discourages anyone from doing things for themselves....no matter what circumstances unfortunates such as James found themselves in.

ger12

I think that strikes a chord with me....is on the grounds of probability the same man....
Not sure of the exact time he died due to post Xmas holidays and all, but must be Dublin as that's where they do the bulk of volunteer work.
Are homeless people being found dead and we don't hear of it I wonder.

How many have died in Ireland this year on the streets?

TARZAN

Are homeless people being found dead and we don't hear of it I wonder.

How many have died in Ireland this year on the streets?

How many houses for homeless Irish people would the 11 million euro per year that Zappone intends to spend on 40 Migrant/Refugee man/children build? A very sad state of affairs when our politicians are trying to make a name for themselves with their liberal leftist thinking at the expense of the people who elected them to office.

ticketyboo

If so, the bank was wrong to accept a mortgage that needed two incomes but only securing it on one.
Would it be mandatory to require life insurance now?
I only ask because it wasn't a requirement when I had my own (thankfully paid off) mortgage....

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Since the election there have been very radical changes in the way the media have been reporting on homelessness, trolleys, water charges, etc..

I'm not sure what has changed, and I don't want to sound like some sort of conspiracy theorist, but I really do get the feeling that some sort of a switch appears to have been flicked somewhere.

Hans Von Horn

The poor man. He would not be the first to wake up beside a dead wife. My brother woke up beside a dead wife and while overcoming the bereavement took time, the insurance cleared their mortgage and left a nest egg over.

Half Nelson

Did they cover this story?

RTE will report on such tragedies ... until it upsets their political masters.. and then..silence.

ger12

Since the election there have been very radical changes in the way the media have been reporting on homelessness, trolleys, water charges, etc..

I'm not sure what has changed, and I don't want to sound like some sort of conspiracy theorist, but I really do get the feeling that some sort of a switch appears to have been flicked somewhere.
It took some time for a government to form, then the US story was everywhere. It's started to pick up now in recent months.

gerhard dengler

I thought that most mortgage lenders, where one spouse take out a mortgage, usually insist on both spouses named on a life insurance policy on the mortgaged property - and regardless of whether one or both spouses are earning an income?

I stand to be corrected on this.

It is a terrible situation for people to lose their own homes especially in what are tragic circumstances outlined in the OP.

gleeful

Would it be mandatory to require life insurance now?
I only ask because it wasn't a requirement when I had my own (thankfully paid off) mortgage....
It was mandatory for me and my wife to have it when we took our mortgage a few years back. I believe its law now.

okibb

RIP James.

I helped a friend of mine (now passed) off the streets over 20 years ago. He got a raw deal, too but at least had a bed in his final years.

There have always been homeless people on the streets of Dublin, but I have noticed a new breed of homeless people lately, working their utmost to hold onto a scintilla of dignity.

New Threads

Most Replies