• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Historic flag vote in Belfast

MariaMcN

This evening, Belfast City Council will vote to decide whether or not to remove the Union Jack from outside Belfast City Hall. It looks like an Alliance Party compromise (to only fly it on certain designated days) will be adopted. Belfast City Hall is the focal point of the City and the Union Jack has flown there everyday despite the political changes that have occurred in the north. The symbolism of it being removed as a permanent fixture will be very meaningful. As a nationalist, I would like to see both the Irish and British flags flown side by side but this is a move in the right direction.

BBC News - Belfast City Council to vote on flying Union flag at City Hall

Ulster-Lad

or the Ulster flag.

MariaMcN

This evening, Belfast City Council will vote to decide whether or not to remove the Union Jack from outside Belfast City Hall. It looks like an Alliance Party compromise (to only fly it on certain designated days) will be adopted. Belfast City Hall is the focal point of the City and the Union Jack has flown there everyday despite the political changes that have occurred in the north. The symbolism of it being removed as a permanent fixture will be very meaningful. As a nationalist, I would like to see both the Irish and British flags flown side by side but this is a move in the right direction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20573219

ruserious

A better compromise would be to have the two flying side by side thereby allowing Unionists not to lose anything and Nationalists gaining something.

between the bridges

meanwhile back at the ranch londonderry is the UK city of culture for 2013 and the G8 are meeting in fincley ophs i mean fermanagh...

drummed

A better compromise would be to have the two flying side by side thereby allowing Unionists not to lose anything and Nationalists gaining something.

Then nobody would win, nobody would lose and nobody would have anything to start a whiny thread about?

Are you mad?????????? This is nordie land, victimisation is a requirement of all decisions.

vivabrigada

Can I post the web address of the meeting here?

Mickeymac

An excellent compromise, but I think unionists rejected that idea, madness IMO.

Global Justice

meanwhile back at the ranch londonderry is the UK city of culture for 2013 and the G8 are meeting in fincley ophs i mean fermanagh...
:lol:

Keep clinging trollsy. Safety/comfort blankets are us dot com (or should that be dot ie now) :D

between the bridges

:lol:

Keep clinging trollsy. Safety/comfort blankets are us dot com (or should that be dot ie now) :D
my dear are you saying that londonderry is not the UK city of culture for 2013 and the G8 are not meeting in fermanagh...

Global Justice

Common sense, reality and inclusiveness are the antithesis of unionism. They can take their oil.

Global Justice

my dear are you saying that londonderry is not the UK city of culture for 2013 and the G8 are not meeting in fermanagh...
Which has got absolutely nothing to do with the topic, trollsy. You're throwing red herrings into the mix in order to delude yourself of the reality

former wesleyan

P.ie competition announced.

A weekend in Belfast for the best new lyrics for " Take it down from the mast....etc "

Second prize : a week in Belfast.

between the bridges

Which has got absolutely nothing to do with the topic, trollsy. You're throwing red herrings into the mix in order to delude yourself of the reality
is that a no/yes/maybe?

The Herren

BBC News - Belfast City Council to vote on flying Union flag at City Hall
I think it would have been better if Irish Republican/ Irish Nationalist members of the Council had agreed to the Union flag ony. I think they could have done this without losing face if they did it on the grounds of goodwill. This gesture would have gone a lot further with the ordinary unionist/protestant that empty rhetoric about truth and reconciliation etc. At the end of the day the reality is that the majority in the North still wants to be british and I believe that majority comprises a lot of catholics &other non protestant people. As an Irish Republican I have to respect majority democratic rule. If democracy fails that is a different matter but for now we have to give peace a chance.

between the bridges

Is the re-greening of the 6 counties a reality? Are you being given crumbs and safety/comfort blankets in order to delude yourself and to paint over the cracks of the death of unionism?
it's called rain my dear... as in long to reign over us

Mickeymac

I think it would have been better if Irish Republican/ Irish Nationalist members of the Council had agreed to the Union flag ony. I think they could have done this without losing face if they did it on the grounds of goodwill. This gesture would have gone a lot further with the ordinary unionist/protestant that empty rhetoric about truth and reconciliation etc. At the end of the day the reality is that the majority in the North still wants to be british and I believe that majority comprises a lot of catholics &other non protestant people. As an Irish Republican I have to respect majority democratic rule. If democracy fails that is a different matter but for now we have to give peace a chance.

Carving a Country up to ensure a small part guaranteed a unionist majority to discriminate and gerrymander the minority was never recognised by most people in Ireland as democratic.

The Herren

Carving a Country up to ensure a small part guaranteed a unionist majority to discriminate and gerrymander the minority was never recognised by most people in Ireland as democratic.

We live in the present. Apart from the great efforts of a handful of gangsters who are know as Republican or IRA " Dissidents" ( what they dissent from I don't know) there is relative peace on the island. The majority of people on the island want peace. Democratic structures ( badly flawed as they are) are in place north & south. We have to achieve our aims, whatever they are through peaceful democratic means, difficult and all as that may be - that is what the people want. I would prefer to see only one flag fly anywhere in the North and that is the tricolour . I hope one day I will see that but it won't come about by bullying the majority. Northerners of all race & colour are an extremely stubborn bunch!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies