Historically, why are the Irish hated...

Alliance 109

... in the Anglosphere? why did the Irish get such a bad doing round the entire English speaking world? When you put it all in context it actually doesn't add up. The Americans had a revolution because of taxation without representation. They went to war with Britain. The Irish went to war, albeit, a terrorist type guerilla war. The Scottish Presbyterians were more or less the people who started some the kind of political violence in Ireland we're used to - against the British state. The Scots have a long history of rebellion, especially when it comes to their religion being threatened. Then you have the whole Highland thing. I can't think of a single thing about the Welsh, but I'm sure someone will add it.

I don't believe it was just the religious issue, England had it's fair share of RCs, many of them from very wealth established families.

Cato

The question is, why are you such an annoying pr*ck?
I just thought that he was drunk.

Although he sounds like he may have read Andrew Roberts's book, "A History of the English Speaking People from 1900". Now that's a bigoted anti-Irish book.

bogtrotter

The Irish are not hated ...what gives you the idea that they are?.........You may be have one of those identity moments....

Staropramen

I just thought that he was drunk.

Although he sounds like he may have read Andrew Roberts's book, "A History of the English Speaking People from 1900".
You presume too much, he has read a book? The Beano Annual 97'?

Cato

Mr Crowley

Another Loyalist troll thread.....nothing to see here folks.

Alliance 109

i thought it was a legitimate question actually. The Irish weren't embraced when they went to the United States in the mid 19th century. They weren't embraced in Australia. They weren't embraced in Canada. They weren't embraced when they went to Scotland nor England. I'm not entirely sure about New Zealand. The only place I can think of is maybe Argentina.

Cato

i thought it was a legitimate question actually. The Irish weren't embraced when they went to the United States in the mid 19th century. They weren't embraced in Australia. They weren't embraced in Canada. They weren't embraced when they went to Scotland nor England. I'm not entirely sure about New Zealand. The only place I can think of is maybe Argentina.
Except that you phrased the question in the present tense. Do you often lose your sense of time? I'd get that check out if I were you.

Alliance 109

Except that you phrased the question in the present tense. Do you often lose your sense of time? I'd get that check out if I were you.
yeah. good one. :rolleyes:

18 Brumaire

The only place I can think of is maybe Argentina.
France, Spain, Austria............

I think you'll find it is the English who are hated (perhaps "hated" is too strong a word, despised perhaps) outside the Anglosphere. That's my experience at any rate.

Cato

don't bother dummy, he knows. he's just playing the fool as per usual.

nice website link. go there much?
Well, better to just play the fool sometimes...

You also seem to have an issue with capital letters. Did they not teach you that at Sunday School.

Did you read that book by Roberts; right up your street I'd imagine.

Alliance 109

France, Spain, Austria............

I think you'll find it is the English who are hated (perhaps "hated" is too strong a word, despised perhaps) outside the Anglosphere. That's my experience at any rate.
by some, no doubt. especially those on the left. However from my experience on the continent, people have an absurd obsession with England, the English and English culture.

Did Irish people go in big numbers to France, Spain and Austria? France durning the wars to fight sure, but as migrants?

Alliance 109

Well, better to just play the fool sometimes...

You also seem to have an issue with capital letters. Did they not teach you that at Sunday School.

Did you read that book by Roberts; right up your street I'd imagine.
capital letters is whats bothering you? :confused:

No I haven't read it I'm afraid.

Cato

capital letters is whats bothering you? :confused:

No I haven't read it I'm afraid.
Look, I'm sorry that it took me so long to figure it out; you're a troll, a loyalist troll to be exact. That's fine; you guys can add a little colour to a site.

Sadly though, it means that you never get to be treated seriously. That's the price.

Now, run along and do whatever it is that you little trolls like to do.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies