History doesn't repeat itself? But — in the US, something ... "nobler`"?

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
I guess my full political awareness was in the late '50s.

Yes: I fully confess. In the early hours of (Western Europe) Wednesday, 9 November 1960, I was chewing my finger nails down to the quick. I'd guess — across Ireland, and the democratic (small 'd') world — I was not alone.

And, before the cretins move in, we were possibly mistaken. But it was still far better than the alterative.

Life moves on.

So here's Congressman Joseph Kennedy III:

[video=youtube;hwnDMahSwNI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwnDMahSwNI[/video]​

The question: should we shout 'Yeah!' Or wait for something better?

OK: allow me to proceed. There is no finer intro to political journalism (or defence of liberal democracy) than TH White's:
They had begun to vote in the villages of New Hampshire at midnight, as they always do, seven and a half hours before the candidate rose. His men had canvassed Hart’s Location in New Hampshire days before, sending his autographed picture to each of the twelve registered voters in the village. They knew that they had five votes certain there, that Nixon had five votes certain — and that two were still undecided. Yet it was worth the effort, for Hart’s Location’s results would be the first flash of news on the wires to greet millions of voters as they opened their morning papers over coffee. But from there on it was unpredictable — invisible.

By the time the candidate left his Boston hotel at 8:30, several million had already voted across the country-in schools, libraries, churches, stores, post offices. These, too, were invisible, but it was certain that at this hour the vote was overwhelmingly Republican. On election day America is Republican until five or six in the evening. It is in the last few hours of the day that working people and their families vote, on their way home from work or after supper; it is then, at evening, that America goes Democratic if it goes Democratic at all. All of this is invisible, for it is the essence of the act that as it happens it is a mystery in which millions of people each fit one fragment of a total secret together, none of them knowing the shape of the whole.
Nor his definition of what is involved in the accession to the Presidency:
What results from the fitting together of these secrets is, of course, the most awesome transfer of power in the world — the power to marshal and mobilize, the power to send men to kill or be killed, the power to tax and destroy, the power to create and the responsibility to do so, the power to guide and the responsibility to heal – all committed into the hands of one man. Heroes and philosophers, brave men and vile, have since Rome and Athens tried to make this particular manner of transfer of power work effectively; no people has succeeded at it better, or over a longer period of time, than the Americans. Yet as the transfer of this power takes place, there is nothing to be seen except an occasional line outside a church or school, or a file of people fidgeting in the rain, waiting to enter the booths. No bands play on election day, no troops march, no guns are readied, no conspirators gather in secret headquarters. The noise and the blare, the bands and the screaming, the pageantry and oratory of the long fall campaign, fade on election day. All the planning is over, all effort spent. Now the candidates must wait.
Or is this just something 'generational'?

Betson

Not a hope he will get the nomination and if he did not a hope he would win , a couple of days wonder. Mark my words.

Dame_Enda

His speech pandered to the Me Too movement. JFK was a moderate.

Lúidín

The people of the US need an alternative direction, not just an alternative figurehead.
As in Ireland and elsewhere the two-party system is really just a cover for one-class rule.

I have hopes for Tulsi Gabbard who was a vice chair of the Democratic National Committee until February 2016, when she resigned to endorse Senator Bernie Sanders.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/11/06/what-does-tulsi-gabbard-believe

GabhaDubh

Apparently there were up to 40 individuals interested in giving the Democrats answer to President Trump. Young Kennedy was a safe bet, his big strike a dynasty child but this allowed Chuck & Nancy to not play favourite’s. The clock is ticking towards 2020.

Trainwreck

I guess my full political awareness was in the late '50s.

Yes: I fully confess. In the early hours of (Western Europe) Wednesday, 9 November 1960, I was chewing my finger nails down to the quick. I'd guess — across Ireland, and the democratic (small 'd') world — I was not alone.

And, before the cretins move in, we were possibly mistaken. But it was still far better than the alterative.

Life moves on.

So here's Congressman Joseph Kennedy III:

[video=youtube;hwnDMahSwNI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwnDMahSwNI[/video]​

The question: should we shout 'Yeah!' Or wait for something better?

OK: allow me to proceed. There is no finer intro to political journalism (or defence of liberal democracy) than TH White's:

Nor his definition of what is involved in the accession to the Presidency:

Or is this just something 'generational'?

Family Brand politics.

Just the latest from that particular brand, being sold under the marketing that is entirely founded on a web of lies in the first place.

Stripping his branding away, his speech was not only unremarkable, but completely out of touch with the political zeitgeist, which in fairness is what you would expect from someone called "J. Kennedy III".

Especially the bit, where he literally shot himself in the foot, by speaking Spanish. FFS, it was obvious he was playing to the assembled Democrats in the House, but to the rest of America, he was effectively telling them foreigners matter as much, if not more than you. That really isn't a clever political message to send to people you are claiming to represent.

However, it is a good message to people you see as potential voters for you who you want to import into the country - which is a pretty transparent motive.

Catalpast

Family Brand politics.

Just the latest from that particular brand, being sold under the marketing that is entirely founded on a web of lies in the first place.

Stripping his branding away, his speech was not only unremarkable, but completely out of touch with the political zeitgeist, which in fairness is what you would expect from someone called "J. Kennedy III".

Especially the bit, where he literally shot himself in the foot, by speaking Spanish. FFS, it was obvious he was playing to the assembled Democrats in the House, but to the rest of America, he was effectively telling them foreigners matter as much, if not more than you. That really isn't a clever political message to send to people you are claiming to represent.

However, it is a good message to people you see as potential voters for you who you want to import into the country - which is a pretty transparent motive.
He looks washed out and sweaty IMO

Not good optics

Speech was OK

The Hispanic vote is now very important

Its just too far out to predict 2020

- even with 2020 vision...:cool:

Watcher2

Good speech. But he is a politician. A bit ironic though given the name he carries, especially from Joe Kennedy I (John Fs dad, right?).

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
Good speech. But he is a politician. A bit ironic though given the name he carries, especially from Joe Kennedy I (John Fs dad, right?).
Perhaps the irony is in the size of the Kennedy trust funds.

This one is Bobby's grandson. More frightening still, he has a (slightly older, and seemingly non-political) twin brother. It's Macbeth, IV.i.122-3:
What, will the line stretch out to th' crack of doom?
Another yet?
See also Keeping Up With the Kennedys (I'll never comprehend the NYT's capitalising in headlines).

The Spanish was pertinent to the big Democrat issue: the 'Dreamers'.

He was speaking in Fall River, which is in his Congressional District, the Massachusetts 4th, where (when the GOP put up a candidate — they didn't in 2014) Kennedy is safe with 70% of the poll — which must make it one of the 'safest' across the country.

Fall River has a family income half that of Massachusetts as a whole. Kennedy may have tried the Spanish, but some 40-odd per cent of the place's population is Portuguese in origin. By any external standards of judgement, it is a 'hard-scrabble' community.

The lad is 'on manoeuvres', not just for the November election, and with the complicity of the entire Democratic Party. That last is what makes him interesting. And — as sure as night follows day — makes Fox News go thermo-nuclear.

MartinezElla

Dangerous play

To have a bear by the tail seems to be rather a captivating practice, though quite a risky one. It appears to be totally missed on the NATO bureaucrats who keep twisting the Russian bear's tail with rare obstinacy indeed, while entering yet another stage of their big enlargement game. For instance, as of the current winter end, they plan to embrace Macedonia, the country that used to be a part of former Yugoslavia and presently has got the prime-minister intensely patronized by the Albanian warlords engaged in drug trade. Naturally, such a country may be seen as a really vital element now for the so called 'Positive Alliance'. And tender tickling of the ruling elites' ambitions in Sweden and Finland, along with their active involvement into NATO activities, has already transformed those previously neutral states into not just NATO allies but its de facto participants.

However the focus of special NATO attention is on the Baltic countries presently. Firstly, regular spectacular parades and torch-light processions with the participation of Waffen SS veterans are conducted there. Secondly, the quickest and most sensible strike in the direction of Russia may be launched exactly from the territory of the Baltic states, for, say, NATO dislocation in Estonia is only 300 km away from Saint-Petersburg and 600 km from Moscow. The most vivid illustration of the preparations to such a strike is Amari air base in Estonia. The base may be employed both for deployment of aviation vehicles to carry nuclear weapons and for hosting the arriving transport planes from Western Europe and the USA. Infrastructure for ground forces is being developed too at the base already having more than 1 500 NATO servicemen. The enlargement of the firing range is also underway. All these facts add more meat to the perspective of Amari becoming the key USA and NATO base in the Baltic countries. Pentagon budget for 2018 dedicates $200 million to build and upgrade airbases in Latvia, Hungary, Norway, Romania, and Slovakia.

In continuation of the armaments and military equipment deployment in Poland and Baltic states the NATO leadership has declared its intention to intensify preparations aimed at 'repelling military aggression' in 2018. Under this highly doubtful pretext, the alliance is to hold more military exercises, twice as many, if compared to 2017. According to the formal list, that has been already released, only during the first half of 2018 NATO countries are to hold as many as 80 military exercises (during the whole 2017 only 85 military maneuvers took place). It's worth noting that 20 of all the declared for the first half of 2018 exercises will be conducted on the lands of Poland, Lithuania, and Latvia, and 6 more in Ukraine.

The most massive exercises will be hosted by Lithuania (April 9-21, Hunter-2018 anti-tank exercises); by Poland, Lithuania and Latvia (March 22-April 22, Saber Junction 18 exercises); by Latvia (April 15-29, international exercises Summer Shield 18 with the ground forces' combat support units involvement). May and June are going to become the time of the most rigorous run-up to rebuke the alleged Russian aggression. Flaming Thunder-18 exercises in Lithuania are planned for this exactly period, as well as the air defense international maneuvers Baltic Zenith-18. In the wake of the first ones the interaction of artillery units and army warplanes in their joint fire support activities will be tested. During the same period of time Flaming Sword-18 exercises with the participation of NATO SOF (Special Operations Forces) units and the allied countries are to take place on the territory of Lithuania and Latvia. Massive exercises Saber Strike-18 involving NATO countries' servicemen are planned for June 4-22 in the Baltic region. They are going to become the heyday in the series of NATO military maneuvers in 2018.

Undoubtedly, Russians will have to react to this sort of militarist muscle-flexing in the vicinity of their western borders. Judging by the previous story with the deployment of the operational-tactical missile complexes Iskander in Kaliningrad and formation of new divisions on western direction, the response may turn to be quite tough and even excessive. All these things actually fit badly NATO slogans on European security.

Meanwhile, some experts voice the opinion according to which all those NATO actions pose no direct threat for Russia. The NATO grouping of 40 thousand servicemen can't be of any danger for more than 120 thousand soldiers of the units dispatched on the west of Russia. Thus, this aggressive conduct of NATO is a purely political move aimed at creating more economic hardships for Russia forced to spend more and more money on its national defense.

firefly123

The people of the US need an alternative direction, not just an alternative figurehead.
As in Ireland and elsewhere the two-party system is really just a cover for one-class rule.

I have hopes for Tulsi Gabbard who was a vice chair of the Democratic National Committee until February 2016, when she resigned to endorse Senator Bernie Sanders.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/11/06/what-does-tulsi-gabbard-believe
Army Veteran. Principled. Progressive. Honest.

Hindi

The evangelicals would go nuts.

What's not to like

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies