• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

History Of County Nicknames!

spidermom

My pal Ah Well will ditch me now for posting this thread but it appears that the "Rebel" County name may not be all its cracked up to be......

Quote from Ah Well......Apparently because Perkin Warbeck a Pretender to the English Throne garnered support in Cork

King James IV of Scotland entertains Perkin Warbeck, 27 November 1495

The GAA Blood and Bandages (Red and White thing) is a bit of a whatever

But let aside the whole English thing for a sec and take more on board the fact that it was the locals here then (anglo and all they might be) kinda revolting against the powers that be in England ...

And in fairness we're still the same today ... the rebel county, we don't subscribe to the norm and all that

Kinda a bit of feck off we're from Cork and that's that I suppose.......END Quote

Taken from this thread......
http://www.politics.ie/cork/88919-cork-city-wound-up-16.html

Now as we all know "Yellow Bellies" are so called because........

Quote from Spidey.....Yellow bellies are so called cos we wore a yellow ribbon around our waists against a "chosen Team" of the English Monarch...and beat their lily white asses into the ground...why were ye called rebels ...pray tell???....from said thread.....

So where did the other counties "nicknames" come from??

MrYouGoBoss

there already a whole thread on this, i was reading it the other day, UP CORK,
where would you all be without us? in the uk thats where

Herodotus

Dublin is called the metropolitans as the largest city is here. We are also referred to as Jackeens, this is in relation to the Union Jack, and that we are somehow west brit, yet us Dubs rebelled in 1916 not the other rebel county Cork.

Carlow people are called scallion eaters, dont know why.
Laois is the O'Moore county.
Offaly are the faithful, probably called the faithful as they are extremely loyal, even to that muppet Brian Cowen.
Wicklow is the garden county as it is scenic.

Wexford is yellow bellies as mentioned, also the model county.
Clare are the banner county.
Limerick the treaty county due to the treaty of Limerick.
Louth the wee county as its the smallest.
Galway are the tribesmen. Dont know why.
Westmeath are the lakelanders, due to the amount of lakes.
Meath are the Royals. Due to Tara being the seat of the kings of Ireland.
Kerry is the Kingdom, dont know why.

There is more but those are the ones I know off the top of my head.

spidermom

Dublin is called the metropolitans as the largest city is here. We are also referred to as Jackeens, this is in relation to the Union Jack, and that we are somehow west brit, yet us Dubs rebelled in 1916 not the other rebel county Cork.

Offaly are the faithful, probably called the faithful as they are extremely loyal, even to that muppet Brian Cowen.

Knew a fair few of the nicknames...but wondering was there a route for them as all....

Wiclow called more than the "Garden" County...... mind!!!!!!!

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
Contrary to popular belief, the term "Rebel County" with respect to Cork refers not to republicanism, but rather to its support for Perkin Warbeck, pretender to the English throne, during the rebellion against Henry VII of England.

Horace Horse

I always thought the term Yellowbellies should refer to Kilkenny and not Wexford, since Kilkenny was too cowardly to rise in 1798. An insurrection in Kilkenny would have relieved Wexford, and indeed put the whole South East in jeopardy for the British. But Kilkenny did SFA while Wexford Carlow and Wicklow suffered.

N17

Galway city is known as the city of the tribes so I guess thats where the Tribesmen came from.

Mayo is historically called the "heather County". I don't know why but had to find out for a project in 2004 and this was the generally agreed name. "Maigh Eo" is "The Plain Of The Yews".
I suppose the "heather County" wouln not instill fear in any football opponents so thats probably why we keep it quiet!!

Sligo is "Land of Hearts Desire".

locke

Originally, Cork was the rebel city. It was only later that the nickname was applied to the entire county. In fact, the nickname dates back so far that the county of Cork didn't even exist.

From the same time, Waterford was known as the loyal city.

Given that both were almost entirely English-populated at the time, it's not so surprising that they involved themselves in English domestic affairs.

Oriel27

The Oriel County, from which i get my user name, was a kingdom that consisted of all of monaghan and parts of surrounding counties.
it consisted of 5 subset counties, Farney being one of them.
Farney just consisted of Carrickmacoross.

At the formation of the GAA in monaghan, there was only representatives from south monaghan at the meeting so they called the county "Farney".

So it turns my stomack everytime monaghan is refered to Farney, its so wrong. Plus i dispise the south of the county red necks, bog men, their accents, their politics.

SamVimesBoots

Galway city is known as the city of the tribes so I guess thats where the Tribesmen came from.
And the "tribes" in question were actually the 13 or 14 ruling Anglo-Norman families way back in the medieval period when the city was one of the few places loyal to the Crown outside the Pale, it's got nothing to do with native Gaelic tribes, or with the rest of the county.

Dillinger

Only a handful of middle class Dubs rebelled. If it was today, they would all be in too much debt to buy any guns. I suppose they could sell the Merc and SUV, but what would they neighbours think "no Merc in the driveway cuh". West Brits.

Galway are the "herring chokers"

White Horse

The Oriel County, from which i get my user name, was a kingdom that consisted of all of monaghan and parts of surrounding counties.
And there was me thinking you were a Lillywhite...

Oriel was a lot larger than you post suggests:

The Airgíalla were a group of mainly unrelated dynasties, located in what is now central and southern Ulster who formed a military federation, seemingly in the late 7th century.

Captain Con O'Sullivan

there already a whole thread on this, i was reading it the other day, UP CORK,
where would you all be without us? in the uk thats where
Bull. The only thing that Cork ever contributed to seperation from the UK was as a landing place for a failed French invasion and some brave lads shooting Michael Collins in the back.

In fact, in was the North Cork militia who helped out down the 1798 rebellion so Corkies are on very sticky ground with their 'rebel county' claims.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies