history repeats itself, "the first as tragedy, then as farce"

McSlaggart

"The British government’s ability to act impartially in the Stormont negotiations was undermined by its close relationship with the DUP, Alliance leader Naomi Long has claimed.

The East Belfast MLA said the Tories’ confidence and supply deal with Arlene Foster’s party led to a sense that the British government “had one hand tied behind their back” during the recent talks process.

“And so the tone for a long and frustrating year of political stagnation was set – government unwilling or unable to reconfigure the talks to enhance the possibility of success; the number of parties around the table getting fewer and fewer; the scope for agreement becoming narrower and narrower; the points of disagreement becoming increasingly intractable; and the likelihood of success becoming more and more remote with each successive attempt,” she said."

https://www.irishnews.com/news/politicalnews/2018/03/26/news/dup-confidence-and-supply-deal-undermined-british-government-impartiality-1287106/

The actions of the DUP appear to meet with the following criteria:
"It had three objectives: to make Northern Ireland ungovernable; to bring the Unionist government to the brink of collapse; and to force a British withdrawal from the Six Counties. "

Northern Ireland's Long War

It looks like the DUP are trying to make sure that "history repeats itself, "the first as tragedy, then as farce""

https://www.marxists.org/archive/sorel/1908/dreyfus-revolution.htm

between the bridges

If the British were Neutral

- they would their pack bags and Leave....
After invading Greece and receiving the submission of other key city-states, Philip II of Macedon sent a message to Sparta: "If I invade Laconia you will be destroyed, never to rise again." The Spartan ephors replied with a single word: "If"...

Catalpast

After invading Greece and receiving the submission of other key city-states, Philip II of Macedon sent a message to Sparta: "If I invade Laconia you will be destroyed, never to rise again." The Spartan ephors replied with a single word: "If"...
If the British left

- then the Northern state would implode

Its a totally artificial entity ....

McSlaggart

Sparta still ended up having to join the Macedonian-dominated League of Corinth, a federation of Greek states.

belfast1981

How could the British government ever be impartial when it comes to government and events a British territory? I would not expect them to be, nor the Irish government in NI since there is a high population of Irish citizens.

You look out for the rights of your citizens. That will never be impartial in both Ireland and UK (Though the Tories really only look out for themselves)

Mickeymac

How could the British government ever be impartial when it comes to government and events a British territory? I would not expect them to be, nor the Irish government in NI since there is a high population of Irish citizens.

You look out for the rights of your citizens. That will never be impartial in both Ireland and UK (Though the Tories really only look out for themselves)

Bel,

The British claim jurisdiction of the NE counties of Ireland and it would be fair to say at least half of the residents there consider themselves to be Irish, I believe they (the British) have a responsibility to be impartial in all matters concerning the six counties.

tokkie

One of the root causes of the Troubles was the failure of the British state to look out for the rights of its citizens in NI. But then the British never really looked upon NI population (particularly the CNRs) as being really British.

Mickeymac

One of the root causes of the Troubles was the failure of the British state to look out for the rights of its citizens in NI. But then the British never really looked upon NI population (particularly the CNRs) as being really British.

The British people see everyone from the occupied zone as "paddies" trust me pal, well known fact they see those from down under as "the convicts"

Sword of Gideon

Bel,

The British claim jurisdiction of the NE counties of Ireland and it would be fair to say at least half of the residents there consider themselves to be Irish, I believe they (the British) have a responsibility to be impartial in all matters concerning the six counties.
SFIRA agree that Northern Ireland is part of the UK, may you should change your avatar to party that supports your views.

Sword of Gideon

The British people see everyone from the occupied zone as "paddies" trust me pal, well known fact they see those from down under as "the convicts"
It is near time you visited Ireland and found out the truth, and maybe see a few graves of the people you adn other USA citizens paid to have murdered.

Sword of Gideon

You are a slow learner, it is not "the occupied zone" it is Northern Ireland, the existence of which is guaranteed by SFIRA.

Dame_Enda

Cut off their assembly salaries and the executive will return.

AhNowStop

Cut off their assembly salaries and the executive will return.
the DUP wont have that .. no chance..

btw, did you not hear about the deal to get stormzy back up again a few weeks ago ,... the DUP were getting a great deal apparently (according to Unionist journos btw) but pulled the plug at the last minute because the OO & wee seamy bwyson told them not to sign up ....

New Threads

Most Replies