• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Hogan trying to stop media reporting ?

dizillusioned

I see on the front page of the Independent today that Phil Hogan is upset with media coverage of a photograph that was published of his former press secretary and himself in Doha.

A few things that confuse me about this story are:

1. why is publishing a photo of Phil with his press secretary so bad?
2. why would Phil be worried that "Well, it’s a f ***ing dis­grace­ful game, you’ll get no one going into pol­i­tics, or being a press of­fi­cer, if you guys keep going” .
3. is the use of foul langauage by a minister acceptable?

Surely, freedom of the press is paramount (not that I think many journalists have reported the proper stories or do a good job)?

Thoughts please?

Finally link: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/you-knackers-well-put-manners-on-you-phil-hogans-threat-to-our-journalists-29105543.html

Last edited:

ger12

I see on the front page of the Independent today that Phil Hogan is upset with media coverage of a photograph that was published of his former press secretary and himself in Doha.

2. why would Phil be worried that "Well, it’s a f ***ing dis­grace­ful game, you’ll get no one going into pol­i­tics, or being a press of­fi­cer, if you guys keep going” .

Surely, freedom of the press is paramount (not that I think many journalists have reported the proper stories or do a good job)?

Thoughts please?
Yes it is. However Mr Hogan and the lady he was pictured with, are entitled to some privacy.

Last edited:

Dame_Enda

Are they male or female as a matter of interest? The ex-press secretary I mean.

Tough Paddy

Thoughts please?
Another P.ie Sunday and another ridiculous P.ie thread using the rag that is the Bindo as the basis for their idiotic op! :roll: Doing so too this Sunday without even posting a link to the rag either! :lol:

ger12

Sierra

Are they male or female as a matter of interest? The ex-press secretary I mean.
Female, and she resigned from her role recently if I remember correctly. There are more photos apparently which probably upsets Phil.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
The press secretary is the person charged with handling the media to ensure his or her employer maintains a positive image.

For the press secretary to be the person at the centre of a photo that is damaging...with the person whose pr she is supposed to be spinning...it was laughably bad.

As for Phil, I'm sure everyone in FG has heard the rumours, he should be glad about what's NOT in the press. And frankly good luck to him. He may be a pig of a man, but enjoying himself along the way is no crime.

anfieldabff

Of much more interest to me is why Michael Fingleton has not even been questioned on a loss of 5 Billion to the taxpayer

Thoughts please?
I have absolutely no interest in Phil Hogans private life but I do however have a very big interest in why after a major RTE expose of the going on's in Irish Nationwide there has been a deafening silence from the the Government and Finger's has not at any time been interviewed on his stewardship of the basket case building society.
Of paticular interest to me is the No 3 Account which was for politically sensitive loans.
I would like the following questions answered.
1. Did Fingers show favouratism towards Phil Hogan and what were the consequent good turns done by Fingers for him.
2. Why are no actions being taken on the loss of 5 billion to the Irish taxpayer. To put it in context this is enough to pay for 5 Croke Park 2 deals and also enough to entirely wipe out the budget savings requirements for one year.
3. How many Ministers and Former Minsisters got soft loans from Fingers, is this the reason for the softly softly approach.

Last edited:

Tough Paddy

I have absolutely no interest in Phil Hogans private life but I do however have a very big interest in why after a major RTE expose of the going on's in Irish Nationwide there has been a deafening silence from the the Government and Finger's has not at any time been interviewed on his stewardship of the basket case building society.
Of paticular interest to me is the No 3 Account which was for politically sensitive loans.
I would like the following questions answered.
1. Did Fingers show favouratism towards Phil Hogan and what were the consequent good turns done by Fingers for him.
2. Why are no actions being taken on the loss of 5 billion to the Irish taxpayer. To put it in context this is enough to pay for 5 Croke Park 2 deals and also enough to entirely wipe out the budget savings requirements for one year.
3. How many Ministers and Former Minsisters got soft loans from Fingers, is this the reason for the softly softly approach.
Quit spamming this thread and if you're so concerned about all of the above, off you go and start a thread on it. Thank you very much.

dizillusioned

Another P.ie Sunday and another ridiculous P.ie thread using the rag that is the Bindo as the basis for their idiotic op! :roll: Doing so too this Sunday without even posting a link to the rag either! :lol:
If I could I would Paddy....headline is "You knackers! We’ll put manners on you"

Tough Paddy

If I could I would Paddy....headline is "You knackers! We’ll put manners on you"
Well done you, now off you go like a good child and continue doing your weekly bidding for the Sindo! :lol:

ger12

"in fairness" he was on a jolly! At our expense. No reports of the RoI for these jollies. And you are interested in becoming a politician. Good Lord!
Politicians are as entitled to their privacy as you or I.

BlowIn

Is phil married?
Is phil in a relationship with the woman concerned?
Was she really employed or just a paid companion?

dizillusioned

Politicians are as entitled to their privacy as you or I.
I agree with you Ger. I didn't see the pictures in question, until I went looking. He may well be annoyed at the publishing of images of him relaxing with this press secretary, personally I have never put my arms around a colleague in the same manner.

I still think his threatening behaviour and bad language is unbecoming of a minister.