Hollywoods latest take on the Easter Rising: Easter Sixteen

Dasayev

merle haggard

Well I think it's appropriate to show the weaknesses of the characters involved, on both sides, as well as their strengths. The image we have of many of the individuals involved is far too idolised. We are of course dealing with a human struggle in films like that, and all their flaws, as well as their strengths should be shown in that light.
while i agree with you as regards the blind idolatory of some of the characters in irish lore i believe we have never had some of these characters and their motivations properly explained to us . In fact i believe the reality of some of those characters is much more interesting and indeed inspirational than the plaster saint caricutures we have been served up continuously .
Any decent film about the rising worth its salt would address pearses campaigning for votes for women and jobs for women in the national university and the other radical ideas and causes he espoused , while i suspect this film will plump for the usual false and ridiculous holy catholic ireland caricature de valera created years later that couldnt be further from the truth, which is as innacurate as calling Peter robinson a republican communist .
Or Connolly giving up a reasonably well paid job in the states to return to dublin to find the trade union leaders had spent his entire promised salary running up a massive bar tab in the pub accross the road from liberty hall . Leaving him forced to run a union unpaid , run a private army unpaid , and even have to beg the money to permit him to buy a pair of overalls to dig a hole in some ditch to feed his family .
The 1916 leaders were much stronger people , and indeed very different people , than the caricatures of approved irish history . I doubt though that hollywood will do them justice and instead go for some michael collins type rerun .

PaulMeyer

thranduil wrote:

Hell there hasn't even been a film made about the so-called famine - an event that had enormous influence on the history of America itself (never mind Ireland), they won't do it because they won't risk annoying the British...
Are you right in the head or what? When exactly, has Hollywood, or anybody else for that matter, ever given a toss about offending the British? Have you not seen Mel Gibson's offering "The Patriot" FFS? The most appalling, one-sided, near-racist load of ahistorical tripe I've seen in years. Not to mention of course "Gallipoli", another deeply offensive, factually innacurate pile of dung starring Gibson. What about "Oh What a Lovely War"???, Jesus wept!, and that was a BRITISH FILM!!!
Even "Last of the Mohicans, a favourite of mine incidentally, when it wasn't being all PC, and treating the Mohicans like they were some sort of 17c. hippies, managed to portray the Brits as bungling incompetents, despite the fact that they wiped the floor with the French in that war and broke their power in North America for ever. The French incidentally, were portrayed as the most frightfully nice, civilised and gallant chaps altogether, and evidently just plain unlucky to be totally and utterly defeated by the half-witted, class-ridden, unwashed and just-plain-nasty Brits.
I have no doubt that if this latest offering eventually gets off the ground it will be in much the same vein, of course I won't expect to see Countess Markievicz needlessly murdering an unarmed member of the Dublin Metropolitan Police, a working-class man and a father of five incidentally, though no doubt the shell-shocked and mentally fragile Captain Bowen-Colthurst's misdeeds will get all the attention they deserve.

Anyway, even if they do offend the British, what exactly could they do about it? Apart from angry letters to the Daily Mail that is?

st333ve

I'm surprised a realistic film about what actually happened during the famine hasnt been made considering the fact that there would be millions of Irish yanks flocking to see it.

Ive no doubt one will be made as there seems to be a film coming out every month about the Irish conflict with British rule.

Hungers only hit DVD, there was Liam Neeson film about the troubles on last week on tv and now 50 dead men walkings in the cinema.
Theyre currently making Brian Boru, a film about 1916 and probobly a few other films to keep people thinkin that Ireland is little more than pints of Guinness and fights with the occupyers.

Catalpa

I'm surprised a realistic film about what actually happened during the famine hasnt been made considering the fact that there would be millions of Irish yanks flocking to see it.

Ive no doubt one will be made as there seems to be a film coming out every month about the Irish conflict with British rule.

Hungers only hit DVD, there was Liam Neeson film about the troubles on last week on tv and now 50 dead men walkings in the cinema.
Theyre currently making Brian Boru, a film about 1916 and probobly a few other films to keep people thinkin that Ireland is little more than pints of Guinness and fights with the occupyers.
'Brain Boru' sounds good

- at least its the Evil Vikings he gets to slaughter!

Riadach

'Brain Boru' sounds good

- at least its the Evil Vikings he gets to slaughter!
I really hope not. If they do to Boru, what they did to Wallace, I'll cry.

PaulMeyer

I really hope not. If they do to Boru, what they did to Wallace, I'll cry.
I agree, after reading "Lion of Ireland" I've always thought there was a cracking movie to be made about Brian, until I heard that Leonardo Di fuc*ing Caprio :eek::eek::eek:
was being lined up to play him! Have these people never heard of Liam Neeson, or even Gabriel Byrne at at a push?

Why not Will Smith FFS?:rolleyes:

merle haggard

s.
you cant make a realistic film about a famine that never happened

pete2

Your GFA movie in a nutshell

Pierce Brosnan would do Adams with Stephen Rea as McGuinness. You could have Gabriel Bryne as Hume and Kieran Hinds in a padded suit as Ian Paisley. This is your hard hitting kitchen sink dialogue and factual stuff.

Cillian Murphy would be the doe eyed idealistic yearning for peace in the trenches under the command of moody soon to be anti-GFA Colin Farrell. Theres your idealism versus romance. Insert love interest, maybe with a love triangle between Farrell and Brosnan.

Tony Blair could be played by Kenneth Branagh and Bertie by Stuart Townsend. Brendon Gleeson/James Nesbitt would be some type of conflicted civil servant/spook ferrying messages. The loyalists would only get 5 minutes, so any BBCNornIron headliner can fit in there. The democratic loyalists eg. Trimble would be anyone else in the mould of Brannagh but less charismatic since they wouldnt be on screen much. Hollywood is not going to want more than 2 sides represented since it would become too confusing.

You have maybe 2 defining scenes- one with a gun battle outlining the basics of the conflict, probably opening scene, then a later one involving a bloody massacre, to demonstrate that "war is hell". You add in a few soundbites from various speeches, a few table thumping meetings and walk outs and thats how you make movies.

The Easter Rising effort will be along the same lines.

5intheface

Your GFA movie in a nutshell

Pierce Brosnan would do Adams with Stephen Rea as McGuinness. You could have Gabriel Bryne as Hume and Kieran Hinds in a padded suit as Ian Paisley. This is your hard hitting kitchen sink dialogue and factual stuff.

Cillian Murphy would be the doe eyed idealistic yearning for peace in the trenches under the command of moody soon to be anti-GFA Colin Farrell. Theres your idealism versus romance. Insert love interest, maybe with a love triangle between Farrell and Brosnan.

Tony Blair could be played by Kenneth Branagh and Bertie by Stuart Townsend. Brendon Gleeson/James Nesbitt would be some type of conflicted civil servant/spook ferrying messages. The loyalists would only get 5 minutes, so any BBCNornIron headliner can fit in there. The democratic loyalists eg. Trimble would be anyone else in the mould of Brannagh but less charismatic since they wouldnt be on screen much. Hollywood is not going to want more than 2 sides represented since it would become too confusing.

You have maybe 2 defining scenes- one with a gun battle outlining the basics of the conflict, probably opening scene, then a later one involving a bloody massacre, to demonstrate that "war is hell". You add in a few soundbites from various speeches, a few table thumping meetings and walk outs and thats how you make movies.

The Easter Rising effort will be along the same lines.
And Professor Stephen Hawking could do the voice of Martina Purdy.

pete2

And Professor Stephen Hawking could do the voice of Martina Purdy.
You're right, the audience needs some supposedly independent arbiter to put everything in "context" and basically spoonfeed them wtf is going on. All meant to be neutral but usually horribly mangling placenames and historical facts which only a tiny minority are going to care about anyway so no problem.

You need your villan (anti-GFA) and you need your heros journey and triumph which is Cillian getting the girl or possibly reconciling some homo-erotic dilema- something to spin that this is a "groundbreaking" production. Its a strong possibility that Guy Pierce will play Pearse as a conflicted bisexual.

pete2

im dreadfully worried hes been chosen for no other reason than his last name by some jewish executive whos asked where are all the leprechauns and will they be in the sequel
No he is a very good actor he should give a good account of the character, one of these immerse in a role types. See him in

Memento (smart thriller) or The Proposition (modern western)

I misspelled his name its Pearce. The only worry I have is the low number of bigname Irish actors in it, might signal the script is crap, or that they didn't have the budget or that its politically sensitive.

merle haggard

No he is a very good actor he should give a good account of the character, one of these immerse in a role types. See him in

Memento (smart thriller) or The Proposition (modern western)

I misspelled his name its Pearce. The only worry I have is the low number of bigname Irish actors in it, might signal the script is crap, or that they didn't have the budget or that its politically sensitive.
or that irish actors are crap

5intheface

im dreadfully worried hes been chosen for no other reason than his last name by some jewish executive whos asked where are all the leprechauns and will they be in the sequel
Worrying precedent;

Jennifer Connolly
Kent Cheng
Clark Gabel
Maryann Plunkett
Neal McDonough
Frances McDormand

pete2

or that irish actors are crap
I would never do down Irelands actors like that, they are certainly very good character actors even if they rarely get the scripts. They have a good range and are pretty versatile compared with Hollywood and actors in EU (outside of France) so don't accept that.

merle haggard

I would never do down Irelands actors like that, they are certainly very good character actors even if they rarely get the scripts. They have a good range and are pretty versatile compared with Hollywood and actors in EU (outside of France) so don't accept that.
youve seen liam neeson shout " this is a weapon " while holding a lump of turf aloft i take it ?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies