Hollywoods latest take on the Easter Rising: Easter Sixteen

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
I'm surprised a realistic film about what actually happened during the famine hasnt been made considering the fact that there would be millions of Irish yanks flocking to see it.

Ive no doubt one will be made as there seems to be a film coming out every month about the Irish conflict with British rule.

Hungers only hit DVD, there was Liam Neeson film about the troubles on last week on tv and now 50 dead men walkings in the cinema.
Theyre currently making Brian Boru, a film about 1916 and probobly a few other films to keep people thinkin that Ireland is little more than pints of Guinness and fights with the occupyers.
Have you not heard of "The Hanging Gale"?

Lao-Tse

Has there every been a film of the Cromwellian invasion of
Ireland? There was some sequences set in 17th century
Ireland in the TV drama "The Devil's Whore".

muka27

I wish they wouldn't even attempt to make a film about this. Nobody in Hollywood has got either the balls or the independence to do it justice. The makers of this film will be poring over it trying to make sure they cut and chop so as not to 'offend' the British (who still think they hold the deeds over how Irish history should be interpreted (and who use people like Bew and Foster to assert their narrative)). In addition there are too many films dealing with the Troubles and the early Twentieth Century conflicts in Ireland.
This film is being made by an Irish director and the production company Marathon Pictures LA, is co-owned by the same Director Stephen Barry and it's written by Irish script writer Brendon Foley so maybe we should reserve judgement on what slant the film will take.

N

Nicola Charles

Irish Cast/ Irish Support

Hello Bloggers,
I am a Producer on EASTER SIXTEEN. I am not Jewish, nor Irish, nor biased. I wanted to re-assure those concerned that we did indeed take this double award winning script, which is neither crap or offensive, to at least four A-list Irish actors before taking our interest elsewhere. Meetings were taken and the project discussed. But without exception "all" those who were asked to take part and offered extremely decent salaries for an Independent Production passed on this incredible piece. I sit here most days and ask myself "why?". Especially as actors of other nationalities with no axes to grind, who were themselves judging this script on the merits of the text alone attached following their first read? GUY PEARCE, IAN HART, TONY CURRAN, ALEX ETEL, ANTHONY LAPAGLIA. I am both shocked and disappointed at the lack of support for this important and moving story about such a pivatol event in Irish History by both talent and investors. It seems only Brit's and Australian's seem interested in this boat sailing at present.

Nicola Charles

st333ve

Hello Bloggers,
I am a Producer on EASTER SIXTEEN. I am not Jewish, nor Irish, nor biased. I wanted to re-assure those concerned that we did indeed take this double award winning script, which is neither crap or offensive, to at least four A-list Irish actors before taking our interest elsewhere. Meetings were taken and the project discussed. But without exception "all" those who were asked to take part and offered extremely decent salaries for an Independent Production passed on this incredible piece. I sit here most days and ask myself "why?". Especially as actors of other nationalities with no axes to grind, who were themselves judging this script on the merits of the text alone attached following their first read? GUY PEARCE, IAN HART, TONY CURRAN, ALEX ETEL, ANTHONY LAPAGLIA. I am both shocked and disappointed at the lack of support for this important and moving story about such a pivatol event in Irish History by both talent and investors. It seems only Brit's and Australian's seem interested in this boat sailing at present.

Nicola Charles
Well if youre stuck for extra's gimme a shout.
Good luck.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
While I welcome exploration of the subject-matter of 1916, I wonder why we have seen no such exploration by Hollywood of other rebellions like 1798. The argument that it will play into the hands of dissident republicans makes no sense.

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
While I welcome exploration of the subject-matter of 1916, I wonder why we have seen no such exploration by Hollywood of other rebellions like 1798. The argument that it will play into the hands of dissident republicans makes no sense.
Agree with all of that.
1798 would make a great movie.

The OD

Its a movie, it wont be accurate, blah blah blah.

So long as its well made and acted, people find it enjoyable and it makes a profit, thats all the people making it really care about and rightly so.

Irish history is not so sacred as people might think and Guy Pearce is a great actor. Looking forward to this.

swansandtyphus

The film should protray the absurdity, the comedy, the tragedy and horror of the 1916 Rising.
The comically botched gun running mission of the Aud and the tragic figure of the rogue Anglo-Irish camp gentleman Roger Casment driven by a burning hatred of imperialism and injustice after his haunting experiences of the Heart of Darkness in Belgian Congo.
The ridiculous sight of a bandy legged pot bellied Connally, the dying Plunkett, the shrill hysterical Pearse and the insane lesbian Countess marching at the head of an exotic column armed with mismatched rifles, shotguns, hurleys and pikes.
The gallant charge of the lancers down O'Connell Street who were cut down by rebel fire in front of the GPO.
The rebels who knocked themselves with the recoil of their Howth rifles.
The drunks who staggered home through the hail of gunfire between rebels and Crown forces and managed to get home without a scratch.
The Irishmen in British uniform facing Irishmen in rebel uniform.
The shawlies looting the department stores on O'Connell Street.
The newly weds trapped by the flames of their burning hotel.
The dashing RAF pilot held hostage at St. Stephen's Green who spent most of his captivity snogging female rebels.
A temporary ceasefire so that the groundskeeper could feed the ducks.
The heroics of Lt. Malone and his men who fought wave after wave of British soldiers at Mount Street bridge.
The naive teenage Sherwood Forestors who thought they were in France, who flirted with young women after landing at Kingstown before marching on Dublin only to carpet Mount Street with their own dead bodies.
The selfless heroism of nurses and doctors who braved heavy fire to save wounded rebels, British and civilians alike.
The innocent men who tried to retrieve their carts from barricades only to be shot by rebels.
The young boy who fled the Magazine Fort after his family were held at gunpoint only to be pursued and shot dead by a rebel.
The bayoneting of innocent men by shell shocked British soldiers.
The psychotic disintegration of the British officer who shot Sheehy-Skeffington.
The fierce fighting at the South Dublin Union, Dame Street and Church Street.
The heroics of rifle armed students who prevented the rebel capture of Trinity College.
The last stand of the rebels in Moore Street as the GPO burns.
The starving slum dwellers and their anger at the betrayl of their husbands, uncles, brothers and sons fighting for Ireland in British uniform in the trenches of the Western Front by the rebels.
The stoicism of the rebel leaders as they face execution.
The whole story is real tear jerker.

oceanclub

Website
oceanclub.blogspot.com

blinding

The film should protray the absurdity, the comedy, the tragedy and horror of the 1916 Rising.
The comically botched gun running mission of the Aud and the tragic figure of the rogue Anglo-Irish camp gentleman Roger Casment driven by a burning hatred of imperialism and injustice after his haunting experiences of the Heart of Darkness in Belgian Congo.
The ridiculous sight of a bandy legged pot bellied Connally, the dying Plunkett, the shrill hysterical Pearse and the insane lesbian Countess marching at the head of an exotic column armed with mismatched rifles, shotguns, hurleys and pikes.
The gallant charge of the lancers down O'Connell Street who were cut down by rebel fire in front of the GPO.
The rebels who knocked themselves with the recoil of their Howth rifles.
The drunks who staggered home through the hail of gunfire between rebels and Crown forces and managed to get home without a scratch.
The Irishmen in British uniform facing Irishmen in rebel uniform.
The shawlies looting the department stores on O'Connell Street.
The newly weds trapped by the flames of their burning hotel.
The dashing RAF pilot held hostage at St. Stephen's Green who spent most of his captivity snogging female rebels.
A temporary ceasefire so that the groundskeeper could feed the ducks.
The heroics of Lt. Malone and his men who fought wave after wave of British soldiers at Mount Street bridge.
The naive teenage Sherwood Forestors who thought they were in France, who flirted with young women after landing at Kingstown before marching on Dublin only to carpet Mount Street with their own dead bodies.
The selfless heroism of nurses and doctors who braved heavy fire to save wounded rebels, British and civilians alike.
The innocent men who tried to retrieve their carts from barricades only to be shot by rebels.
The young boy who fled the Magazine Fort after his family were held at gunpoint only to be pursued and shot dead by a rebel.
The bayoneting of innocent men by shell shocked British soldiers.
The psychotic disintegration of the British officer who shot Sheehy-Skeffington.
The fierce fighting at the South Dublin Union, Dame Street and Church Street.
The heroics of rifle armed students who prevented the rebel capture of Trinity College.
The last stand of the rebels in Moore Street as the GPO burns.
The starving slum dwellers and their anger at the betrayl of their husbands, uncles, brothers and sons fighting for Ireland in British uniform in the trenches of the Western Front by the rebels.
The stoicism of the rebel leaders as they face execution.
The whole story is real tear jerker.
It could be a long complicated film if they fit all that in.

Mind you Irish History is complicated. And thats just to us Irish Irish and the British Irish.

It would do your head in if you were not from here.

And I am not at all surprised by the Duck scene in light of recent expenses from Westminister.

Last edited:

swansandtyphus

Um, except there was actually no charge - I don't think they were as stupid as to try and charge a building.
A group of lancers on horse back (on the regular patrol in the city centre) charged down Sackwille (present day O'Connell) street from the Parnell monument to the front of the GPO scattering looters who had already begun to pilfer the department stores along the street and came under fire from rebels who had just begun to barricade the window of the building. Several of them were shot out of their saddles before the survivors retreated. One rebel across from the GPO was wounded and later died from friendly fire.
Other rebels accidental shot themselves or knocked themselves out with the recoil from their heavy Mauser rifles.

swansandtyphus

"Rebel Heart" was a romantic drama about the Irish revolutionary period.
The first episode concerned the 1916 Rising.
Not bad for a low budget production.
Liam Cunningham is the best thing in it protraying Lt. Michael Malone.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsWXID_clt8]YouTube - Rebel Heart Ep 1 Pt 1/5[/ame]

swansandtyphus

In the early 1990's there was a George Lucas series about the young Henry "Indiana" Jones and his early adventures. On his way to London to enlisted in the exiled Belgian Army he stops off in Queenstown and spends a little time in Dublin, romances Sean Lemass's sister, makes pals with Sean O' Casey and gets caught up in Easter rebellion.[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkajKDx4RB4&feature=related]YouTube - The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles - Easter Rising[/ame]

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies