Home to Vote

ScoobyDoo

Buchaill Dana

I broadly agree, but what can the government do beyond the normal register clean-up.

Aristodemus

How can that possibly be policed?

Analyzer

Who has so much money that they can spend it flying people home to vote ?

johnfás

Loads of stories of people travelling home to vote, newspaper/online articles, social media groups etc.

Yet if you have not lived in Ireland for 18 months it is not legal to vote in the referendum. Why is the government not doing anything about this? :roll:

Even stories of people being offered money to fly home to vote!

https://news.sky.com/story/ireland-abortion-referendum-yes-campaigners-get-behind-hometovote-with-generous-cash-offers-11383415
The law in this area makes absolut sense. If we gave every Irish citizen living abroad voting rights we could end up with all sorts of mad laws based on groups not living in the justification (particularly from the US). Vote where you live. If people living abroad want to vote in Ireland let them pay tax and contribute to Ireland.

Edo

This seems to be becoming the No's sides favourite "get the excuses in early"....

only affecting a tiny proportion of votes in the end - will probably be split between Yes and No by the same proportion as the rest of the electorate.

blinding

Loads of stories of people travelling home to vote, newspaper/online articles, social media groups etc.

Yet if you have not lived in Ireland for 18 months it is not legal to vote in the referendum. Why is the government not doing anything about this? :roll:

https://news.sky.com/story/ireland-abortion-referendum-yes-campaigners-get-behind-hometovote-with-generous-cash-offers-11383415
You’d wonder why people who have had to leave their country would vote Yes , giving Power to politicians that were the cause of them leaving the Country .

Only Naive Young people will vote yes . Wiser and older heads will not give untrustworthy Irish Politicians this type of Power .

gleeful

Thats a dumb and unenforceable law.

cricket

Who has so much money that they can spend it flying people home to vote ?
I have relatives in both Australia and US who have flown in to vote tomorrow. All they've done is rearrange holidays to time with the vote. They're paying for everything themselves.

Emily Davison

This is why they are home:

And those Irish people are wondeful.

Sync

Demand they bring evidence of recent residence in their address. Phone bill/gas bill/bank etc. Not saying they should, but that’s how you would do it.

raetsel

Have there been any estimates of how many are coming home? At most it couldn't be more than a few thousand surely?
It's hardly likely to have a vital bearing on the outcome.

Sync

Have there been any estimates of how many are coming home? At most it couldn't be more than a few thousand surely?
It's hardly likely to have a vital bearing on the outcome.
Whoever loses will have plenty of excuses to make don’t worry.

johnfás

There are approximately 3.4 million people in Britain who are eligible to claim Irish citizenship through the grandparent rule. Every person born in Northern Ireland (another 1.8 million) is equally entitled to Irish citizenship.

Leaving aside the other countries which have vast numbers of persons eligible for Irish citizenship (Australia, Canada, USA) it’s clear that a whole scale granting of votes to Irish citizens abroad would result in more people living outside Ireland being able to vote than those living inside Ireland.

Save for potentially granting postal voting to students that are abroad and within the 18 month rule, the 18 month rule itself is perfectly logical. We should not accept becoming any more of a proxy than we already are for people living outside the state to argue ideology with each other. When you move from one country to another you necessarily give up part of the previous. Integrate yourself and vote where you are currently living.

To the extent any change were ever considered it would have to come at a cost. “No representation without taxation” is as logical as “no taxation without representation”. You can’t be living abroad, making no contribution to the state and expect to be counseled for your opinion on how the state is managed. When you leave the country you absolutely forfeit certain rights but you also are not bound by all the obligations of residence either. You can’t have your cake and eat it.

Last edited:

Spanner Island

ID cards and a linked up system with PPS numbers etc. would be able to do it... although it'll be a cold day in hell before Ireland is ready for that... and so the imperfection will continue...

HereWeGoAgain

You’d wonder why people who have had to leave their country would vote Yes , giving Power to politicians that were the cause of them leaving the Country .

Only Naive Young people will vote yes . Wiser and older heads will not give untrustworthy Irish Politicians this type of Power .
People leave for many reasons and you are suggesting that they are naive if they vote Yes. I've not left this country, yet I'm a Yes voter so what do you say to me?

I'm fully informed and am making my decision based on the factual information I've received both via literature and live debates featured on State broadcaster, TV3, newstalk, etc.

gleeful

ID cards and a linked up system with PPS numbers etc. would be able to do it... although it'll be a cold day in hell before Ireland is ready for that... and so the imperfection will continue...
I'm still on the register for a house in Limerick where I have not lived or voted for 20 years. They could clean up the register easily - simply take people off if they miss a vote.

Krusty Cork

I don't think those flying home to Vote will have any effect on the actual result

The Yes will have quite a large majority at the end imo

Spanner Island

I'm still on the register for a house in Limerick where I have not lived or voted for 20 years. They could clean up the register easily - simply take people off if they miss a vote.
Hmmm... only possible if you make voting compulsory... which I'd have no problem with tbh because if you don't vote without a good reason then you don't count imo... but there are plenty who believe not voting is a right too...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies