Homeless figures go through the roof at 9807

carlovian

The latest figures for homelessness show a dramatic increase in the number of people
living in emergency accommodation.

There are now 9807 adults and children homeless in Ireland, an increase of 703 from
last month.

At this rate the figure will be over 10,000 next month and over 16,000 by year end.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0328/950712-homeless/

Of particular concern is the 3755 children in emergency accomodation , we are storing up
some nice problems 10-15 years down the line.

Nice touch by the department of housing to issue the record numbers a few hours
after the belfast trial verdict. A few years ago the department and Simon Coveney said
that there wuld be no-one in emergency accommodation by june 2016.

Now they just try to bury the bad news.

yosef shompeter

Hard to know what to do. Short term maybe caravans and trailer parks might help. It's not so bad as the summer months are coming. Build wooden houses perhaps... and of course the Local authority housing machine should get cranked up again.

PBP voter

Hard to know what to do. Short term maybe caravans and trailer parks might help. It's not so bad as the summer months are coming. Build wooden houses perhaps... and of course the Local authority housing machine should get cranked up again.
If you want to stop something tax it and tax it well.

How many empty Units over shops in offices in Dublin,Cork,Galway,Limerick etc.

If you have your mortgage paid on the building any rental income is taxed at a crazy level.

PC Principle

If you have your mortgage paid on the building any rental income is taxed at a crazy level.

At least you admit Taxation kills progress.

The only thing excessive tax is good at stopping is individual prosperity and achieving one's ultimate goals in life if you are ambitious.

Its why I left Ireland.

Best thing I ever did.

Last edited:

bokuden

The latest figures for homelessness show a dramatic increase in the number of people
living in emergency accommodation.

There are now 9807 adults and children homeless in Ireland, an increase of 703 from
last month.

At this rate the figure will be over 10,000 next month and over 16,000 by year end.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0328/950712-homeless/

Of particular concern is the 3755 children in emergency accomodation , we are storing up
some nice problems 10-15 years down the line.

Nice touch by the department of housing to issue the record numbers a few hours
after the belfast trial verdict. A few years ago the department and Simon Coveney said
that there wuld be no-one in emergency accommodation by june 2016.

Now they just try to bury the bad news.
I heard the head of TUSLA being interviewed on the radio today. They are swamped by new cases to investigate. He linked the growth in many of these cases to the growth in children and families living in temporary accomodation and the level of child poverty.

Fine gael eh? What can you say?

yosef shompeter

You got a point there.
It's a crazy world. I'm sure some of these gaffs above shops and such might be judged as sub-stadard accomodation. So the poor unfortunates have to kip out in the street of in some hostel that's far more dangerous while the gaff remains empty.

former wesleyan

I heard the head of TUSLA being interviewed on the radio today. They are swamped by new cases to investigate. He linked the growth in many of these cases to the growth in children and families living in temporary accomodation and the level of child poverty.

Well I can say that FF had the exact same hostility to the concept of public housing. Wasn't it FF that came up with the easily avoided stunt of public- private partnership ?

PC Principle

In fairness, the current situation is the combined results of successive diabolical Irish governments since independence.

carlovian

In fairness, the current situation is the combined results of successive diabolical Irish governments since independence.
Yet in 1930s and 1950s we were able to build thousands of social houses.

Now Fg and their market will cure all.

NativeWildCat

The only way to solve this problem is to bring in more 'Syrians'.

PC Principle

Yet in 1930s and 1950s we were able to build thousands of social houses.

Now Fg and their market will cure all.
The housing supply (of all types) is the real issue.

It's like diamonds, market supply is kept deliberately low, to keep prices high for the consumer.

Its Ireland's one trick economic pony that will likely never change.

Disillusioned democrat

Eh, build social houses and change the policies to make allocation of social housing more effective at solving the housing crisis?

SamsonS

carlovian

http://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/homelessness_report_-_february_2018_0.pdf

That's the report.

I posted on this previously, but that report should include the figures under each heading for the previous month and for the same month in 2017.

Its not good enough that the comparison is done in a press release, that people exploring this need to go and find the January stats to reconcile the figures.
Once the figures got over 7000, the department stopped giving the total figure to try to hide how bad it had got.

They then produce a report which few can get the total figure from.

Prester Jim

At least you admit Taxation kills progress.

The only thing excessive tax is good at stopping is individual prosperity and achieving one's ultimate goals in life if you are ambitious.

Its why I left Ireland.

Best thing I ever did.
The US was at its best when they had a reasonable tax on the rich, after Reagan it has been a fluctuating decline in living standards and the middle class and actual genuine innovation. Much of the real innovation and all the big steps forward were done by state/public funded organisations and the private sectors steps in to monetise the research.

PC Principle

The US was at its best when they had a reasonable tax on the rich, after Reagan it has been a fluctuating decline in living standards and the middle class and actual genuine innovation. Much of the real innovation and all the big steps forward were done by state/public funded organisations and the private sectors steps in to monetise the research.
Its a massive and complicated topic.

The taxes on the middle class in parts of the most productive parts of country have been gutting the middle classes contributing to the decline in the living standards of many. Ireland has way higher personal taxes than anything in the USA.
I've spent most of my life in Ireland and in a short period of time in the USA I have obtained an amazing life (and other things) for me and my family without doing much different. And that's before Trump's tax reductions kicked in.The ability to save your money is crucial.

In Ireland you can hardly get from living pay cheque to pay cheque mostly due to punitive taxation. And two incomes are crucial to even access the basics like saving a deposit for a house.

However, the USA has much better standards of living versus Ireland. Lets take a person on a modest 60k per annum in each country. That same person can obtain much more and do more in the USA, even in the best places.

Some have it bad and some have it good. If you know where to go (which is no big secret) and stay out of trouble, a fantastic quality of life is in reach of most people in the USA when you compare it to the rest of the world including Europe.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies