Homeless numbers break record levels - Government and RTE don't even issue numbers

carlovian

Homeless numbers broke their previous peak of 8374 and now stand at 8492.

3192 of these are children. (3124 last month)

Neither the Department of housing or RTE give the total figure.

http://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/homelessness_report_-_october_2017.pdf

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2017/1122/922001-rough-sleeper/

Interesting that the Department of housing snuck in the figures this week during a
political crisis.

They usually post the figures the last week of the month.

Last edited:

igCorcaigh

Cold snap coming up, and that guy on rte radio 1 earlier didn't sound convincing about shelter space being available.

PBP voter

Nobody really cares.

It's just a political football now.

mr_anderson

Homelessness isn't the problem.
It is a symptom of other problems - drug & alcohol addiction being the main causes.

You can't solve homelessness without tackling the underlying cause.

Give a junkie €1m and they'll be homeless in no time.

sadmal

ShoutingIsLeadership

Get with the programme. The percentage rate of increase is reducing, which means things are improving. Varadkar, Murphy and the rest of FG has told us this.

This means that if homelessness increased by 3% last month, but by 2% this month, it is improving.

This is where we are at.

ShoutingIsLeadership

It is a symptom of other problems - drug & alcohol addiction being the main causes.

The underlying cause being a corrupt and rotten housing and rental market. Unless there has been a massive increase in drug and alcohol addicted people, especially children, these past few years.

flavirostris

Walking around Cork last weekend, I couldn't help but notice men sleeping in doors the length of Patrick St. I never saw that in Cork before. There were two or three guys to a door.

Not Irish. They were definitely foreign nationals. Possibly Middle Eastern.

asset test

"Shelterless" is a better description IMV. There are no children without a warm bed and hot water and food even if it is in a crowded hotel room.

Not saying that is ideal either, don't get me wrong.

Street sleepers are a different entity. Some want help, some don't. Those who do want help may be able to source hostel accommodation, although I know that can be difficult enough for them also.

Instead of haircuts under the canopy of GPO maybe a throwaway mobile phone + credit would help them phone around. I know, I know.... it isn't ideal.

I'm just thinking practical. Not judgmental.

razorblade

Can you link to the results of your research, please? Particularly where the homeless children gave an opinion.

Thanks.
There's shelters you can go to and places like St Vincent De Paul who help to provide accommodation for the homeless no one needs to sleep rough there's plenty of help out there if someone needs it.

sadmal

It's not the case in every case though. I can't blame someone who is living rough if they do drugs or drink. If I were homeless with no way out of that and sitting on the streets watching people pass me by pretending that I didn't exist then I'd probably want to detach myself from reality any way I could. People of all ages from all backgrounds end up on the streets for all sorts of reasons. We have to try to support people as best we can and not judge them.
Heard a man n the radio the other day from Catalonia who is rough sleeping in Dublin and said he was afraid to go home because of the political situation. Fifty three of the rough sleepers in Dublin are non-Irish and the nationality of another fifty one was unknown at the time the survey was done.

I know where i'd prefer to be if it was a choice betwee sleeping rough in Dublin and my own home town with a warmer and drier climate.

ShoutingIsLeadership

There's shelters you can go to and places like St Vincent De Paul who help to provide accommodation for the homeless no one needs to sleep rough there's plenty of help out there if someone needs it.
You think all of the homeless are sleeping rough?

That aside, have you a list of suitable places for the people sleeping rough?

HereWeGoAgain

Headline:

Are those new?
The Government Social Housing figures don't add up

NOVEMBER 22, 2017
A chunk of the new social housing that the government has delivered in recent years has been from one source: “voids”, vacant homes that have been refurbished.

But differences in the figures have left some people scratching their heads, wondering if the government is counting run-down apartments that didn’t show up in figures before, or homes that were only vacant briefly, between tenants.

The long-term vacancy “has either been systemically underreported” in the past by local authorities, or “it has been significantly overstated in the completions,” says architect Mel Reynolds.

“The danger here is that if normal vacant units are being counted as voids brought back into stock, there is a significant distortion of what people expect are new social housing units,” he said.

If apartments fixed up between one tenant moving out and the next moving in are being counted as new social-housing units, then that’s a problem. “This is the equivalent of double-counting,” Reynolds said.
with thanks to Lois Kapila is Dublin Inquirer’s managing editor and general-assignment reporter
Link to article
https://www.dublininquirer.com/2017/11/22/are-those-new-the-governments-social-housing-figures-dont-add-up/

razorblade

You think all of the homeless are sleeping rough?

That aside, have you a list of suitable places for the people sleeping rough?
Hostels and B&Bs provide accommodation look as bad as things can be in this country under no circumstances is anyone allowed to be just left on the streets to starve to death, there is always help and accommodation provided for those seeking it.

Disillusioned democrat

Homeless numbers broke their previous peak of 8374 and now stand at 8492.

3192 of these are children.

Neither the Department of housing or RTE give the total figure.

http://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/homelessness_report_-_october_2017.pdf

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2017/1122/922001-rough-sleeper/
Hush peasant - the government are far too busy covering up Frances Fitzgeralds incompetence and/or vileness to worry about rough sleepers and homeless kids...she's fighting for her "political" life, don't you know???

carlovian

The homeless figures do not include rough sleepers.

The homeless are the people, mostly families in emergency accomodation.

Families are flooding out of the Rental market due to increased rents and
evictions for "Improvements".

New Threads

Most Replies