Homelessness activist fined €150 for protest action on Census form

CookieMonster

A Co Meath charity worker who refused to fill in her census form because she was out helping the homeless has been convicted by the courts.
Ashling Lowe, of Mornington Way in Trim, was given eight months to pay a fine of €150 after she was convicted for failing to provide the information on the Census of population form in April 2016.
I often find people who refuse to complete the census do so on rather weak grounds, but in this case I think it was an honorable exception highlighting a real and growing problem, and, if nothing else, will aid in highlighting the work she and other volunteers in Meath are doing.

The CSO do claim that they record homeless people in the census, and from a quick search the numbers in the article seem to stack up against other sources.

Ms Lowe says she is considering appealing her conviction but not the fine, which she hopes will be given to a homeless charity of the judge’s choice.
I think it was fair that she, and others, were fined for not completing the census, as an accurate tally is very important for planning and research.

Some more information on her charity work can be found here:
- https://www.facebook.com/pg/Meath-Food-Bank-450090925372253/posts/
- Meath Chronicle - Trim woman sets up new food bank to help struggling families

Volatire

I often find people who refuse to complete the census do so on rather weak grounds, but in this case I think it was an honorable exception highlighting a real and growing problem, and, if nothing else, will aid in highlighting the work she and other volunteers in Meath are doing.

The CSO do claim that they record homeless people in the census, and from a quick search the numbers in the article seem to stack up against other sources.

I think it was fair that she, and others, were fined for not completing the census, as an accurate tally is very important for planning and research.

- Meath Chronicle - Trim woman sets up new food bank to help struggling families
Is everyone involved in "homelessness" charity work an arsehole?

Travis Bickle

bokuden

Another reason why this forum is a joke as a site of serious discussion.

bokuden

I think it's disgraceful that she was fined for being out doing what the government has failed miserably to do.

Socratus O' Pericles

I’m going to send her a donation.

statsman

I think it's disgraceful that she was fined for being out doing what the government has failed miserably to do.
She clearly opted to take the fine as a way of publicising her point. Fair play to her, but the census is also important, and census data can actually help highlight issues like homelessness, empty housing units, etc.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
Fortunately or unfortunately the remarks are a slice of the Ireland we live in today. Most of it brought about by decades of political mismanagement and the resulting cynicism of the Irish people. It's a backlash....a fruitless one but people are not happy knowing things will never change. It was not the media who created the cynicism.

mr_anderson

She clearly opted to take the fine as a way of publicising her point. Fair play to her, but the census is also important, and census data can actually help highlight issues like homelessness, empty housing units, etc.
Bingo.
You just beat me to it.

Not filling in a census form can contribute to a property being labelled 'vacant'.
Thereby providing less incentive for the government to build units for homeless people.

Civic_critic2

The alternative is that it is a site for serious discussion, which it cannot be allowed to be, not as the go-to politics site in Ireland. It is therefore being targeted for destruction, I have little doubt that in 30 years or so when papers are released the amount of paid political interference in social media during our time will be shown to be much greater than currently known by most.

the census is also important, and census data can actually help highlight issues like homelessness, empty housing units, etc.
Indeed. Here is a slide from the website of the head company which processed the Irish census data:

Welcome to CACI.
Funnily enough they don't appear to have a secure site.

Fortunately or unfortunately the remarks are a slice of the Ireland we live in today. Most of it brought about by decades of political mismanagement and the resulting cynicism of the Irish people. It's a backlash....a fruitless one but people are not happy knowing things will never change. It was not the media who created the cynicism.
Centuries of exclusion from the exercise of power was perpetuated by the faction that took power post-1922. The Irish are made to understand that they will not exercise power, they will be ruled and any exercise of power they wish to exercise must be mediated through a clientelist struture of favouritism.

They are therefore demoralised and in the south largely devoid of any kind of thoroughgoing, realistic analysis of politics. Southerners do not help this situation by believing that the southern government are the 'Irish Government' instead of what they really are - a faction that took power within a reduced area and held it.
Outside of that the destruction of potential discourse online is due to many paid actors and an inability for most people to have two original political ideas to rub together.

Last edited:

bokuden

Yep, which Fg will do shag all about. Or you could actually do something about it and then be punished for showing up FG's disgusting treatment of those without property.

statsman

Yep, which Fg will do shag all about. Or you could actually do something about it and then be punished for showing up FG's disgusting treatment of those without property.
You break the law to make a point, that's fine, once you accept the consequences of your actions. She certainly generated an amount of publicity, which is all for the good. But let's not kid ourselves, she isn't being punished for caring about homelessness, she's being punished for breaking the law.

As a committed something or another, surely you've done similar in the past? I certainly have.

CookieMonster

Nah, Volatire is just at trolling c**t.

The Field Marshal

Its an industry related to the victim industry.

Piles of hangers on make loads of taxpayers money virtue signalling forever about "homelessness"

Orbit v2

I was talking to a census enumerator about this and there are legions of people who refuse to fill out the form, from in one case, a garda who thought it would reveal where she lived, to an English guy who believed he wasn't "subject to it". Arseholes the whole lot of them, who should all be fined the €150. Some people are so dense that anything less than a court appearance and fine doesn't bring them to their senses.

CookieMonster

I was talking to a census enumerator about this and there are legions of people who refuse to fill out the form, from in one case, a garda who thought it would reveal where she lived, to an English guy who believed he wasn't "subject to it". Arseholes the whole lot of them, who should all be fined the €150. Some people are so dense that anything less than a court appearance and fine doesn't bring them to their senses.
I know of a lot of people who work/d as census enumerator, though a previous job, and the lengths people go to to avoid them could make a good sketch show. He was told by one neighbor that the women next door broke her leg trying to hide from him when he called around the first time. When he called back she was indeed on crutches, but declined to explain how she'd ended up that way.

Another was a man who claimed not to speak English, in a fake Russian accent, only to be furnished with a form in Russian. He then had to come clean and request one in English.

New Threads

Most Replies