• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Homophobes shouldn't be allowed to adopt children.

Iphonista

Have you ever pondered the irony that many if not most of those who argue most vociferously against adoption by gay couples are themselves - because of their prejudice - far less suitable to adopt a child?

"But, but", you may say, trying to be objective, "Surely, nearly everyone has some prejudices and if we were only to allow those who were totally free of prejudice to adopt, there'd be very few adoptions".

However, in this context, anti-gayness is subtly different from other forms of bigotry. A couple who don't like people of African origin won't adopt a black child. An anti-Chinese couple will steer clear of children from that ethnic background.

When a couple adopts a child, no-one knows what orientation that child will have. He/she may turn out to be gay and if the parents hate gay people, then that child will have been delivered into an environment which will in time turn out to be very emotionally damaging for them.

Is this something adoption agencies consider when allowing people to adopt children? I hope so but when you think of all the third world adoptions going on, you would wonder. I doubt that authorities in the Philippines or Vietnam care much about it.

zakalwe1

deja vu...i'm pretty sure i've read about 14 pages of this topic already

Vega1447

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Wow, what a clever and edgy juxtaposition of language there. :roll:

corporal punishment

But where do you stop. Do you prevent Spurs supporters form adopting in case the child starts to support Arsenal. Imagine the saturday nights.

livingstone

Certainly as part of the adoption process, potential parents should be asked how they would approach their child questioning their sexuality, how they would approach their child coming out, how they would approach a child's decision in later life to have a same-sex partner and potentially a family with that partner.

I don't know if it is, but prospective adopters are screened pretty thoroughly so I would be surprised if adopters aren't required to demonstrate ability and willingness to be supportive of their children regardless of sexuality, but I could be wrong.

dizillusioned

But where do you stop. Do you prevent Spurs supporters form adopting in case the child starts to support Arsenal. Imagine the saturday nights.
Anyone who supports Football should immediately be banned from adopting, only "cultured" people should be allowed to adopt... :)

Iphonista

Supporting Arsenal is a choice....? Would a child in a Spurs supporting household not be more likely to support Spurs too?

Windowshopper

Have you ever pondered the irony that many if not most of those who argue most vociferously against adoption by gay couples are themselves - because of their prejudice - far less suitable to adopt a child?

"But, but", you may say, trying to be objective, "Surely, nearly everyone has some prejudices and if we were only to allow those who were totally free of prejudice to adopt, there'd be very few adoptions".

However, in this context, anti-gayness is subtly different from other forms of bigotry. A couple who don't like people of African origin won't adopt a black child. An anti-Chinese couple will steer clear of children from that ethnic background.

When a couple adopts a child, no-one knows what orientation that child will have. He/she may turn out to be gay and if the parents hate gay people, then that child will have been delivered into an environment which will in time turn out to be very emotionally damaging for them.

Is this something adoption agencies consider when allowing people to adopt children? I hope so but when you think of all the third world adoptions going on, you would wonder. I doubt that authorities in the Philippines or Vietnam care much about it.
There is a flaw in your logic there is a very remote chance that the adopted child of racist parents might fall in love with someone of a different race therefore they should be excluded from adopting too.

Vega1447

:cool:
Wow, what a clever and edgy juxtaposition of language there. :roll:
Thanks.. but it was really a clever and edgy comment on a frequently-used put-down in conversation re homosexuality..

What's that you say?

You knew that already and weren't impressed?

Rats. :shock:

Iphonista

There is a flaw in your logic there is a very remote chance that the adopted child of racist parents might fall in love with someone of a different race therefore they should be excluded from adopting too.
That wouldn't be nearly as traumatic as being reared by parents who hate what you are.

Asparagus

Anyway, not all Spurs fans hate all Arsenal fans. All homophobes hate all gays.

Don't be ridiculous - i have heard some absolute crass statements but this one takes the biscuit.

Asparagus

Anyway, not all Spurs fans hate all Arsenal fans. All homophobes hate all gays.
Plus I know plenty of homophobes who would have extensive collections of homoerotic film.
Lesbian homoerotic.

But gay nonetheless.

So actually poor ould Arsenal fans are more hated than gays.

Iphonista

Plus I know plenty of homophobes who would have extensive collections of homoerotic film.
Lesbian homoerotic.

But gay nonetheless.

So actually poor ould Arsenal fans are more hated than gays.
Perhaps because they all have their "White Hot Sex at White Hart Lane" DVDs?

Cellach

Define 'homophobe'. What would be the criteria that the adoption agency would use to decide whether someone was a homophobe or not? It is a lot easier to define for example 'heroin user' then it would be to define a homophobe.

Popular Threads

Most Replies