Homophobia in Eastern Europe

eoghanacht

Anybody looking at the news over the weekend could not have failed to see the incredible homophobic riots in Serbia

Serb police clash with anti-gay rioters - Yahoo! News

Some of you may remeber the veteran British gay rights campaigner Mr Peter Tatchell and Right Said Fred singer Richard Fairbass being assaulted in Moscow.

In Russia, Gays and Lesbians Struggle Against Widespread Hostility - US News and World Report

Interesting article

http://www.eurotopics.net/en/archiv/magazin/gesellschaft-verteilerseite/homophobie_2007_08/debatte_homophobie_2007_08/

(i know it dates back to 2007.)

With Serbia already having submitted it's application to join the E.U. We have to ask ourselves do we want to see scenes like the ones in Belgrade over the weekend becoming a regular occurence?

NeilW

We have to ask ourselves do we want to see scenes like the ones in Belgrade over the weekend becoming a regular occurence?
We have to ask ourselves this?! Really?! Because there is a possibility somebody might answer yes??

Jezza

Homophobia is bad in Eastern Europe, but I actually think the Serbian State should be recognised as having stood up to these bigots, which is more that the Russian Police ever did.

Serbia took a lot of crap from the west when it suited our leaders to demonise them, but they come out of this pretty well. They have their share of neo-Nazis & suchlike, but they are actually a relatively civillised people for that part of the World.

ne0ica

Perhaps the ordinary Serb does not sign up to 'liberal values' like the rest of west. For most people dancing half naked on the streets simulating sex act is revolting to the vast majority of people. We accept it under the guise of 'tolerance'.

eoghanacht

We have to ask ourselves this?! Really?! Because there is a possibility somebody might answer yes??
The Serb government must be brought in an asked what measures are they drawing up to prevent incidents like this from spilling into a bloodbath.

The attacks are alledgedly orchestrated by neo nazi groups, this wasn't a few yobs rioting for the craic. If it wasn't for the bravery of the Serb Police we could be faced with multiple deaths on the streets of Belgrade.

You might not think this is a concern but i do.

eoghanacht

Perhaps the ordinary Serb does not sign up to 'liberal values' like the rest of west. For most people dancing half naked on the streets simulating sex act is revolting to the vast majority of people. We accept it under the guise of 'tolerance'.
So you have evidence that this was going on in Belgrade?

Are you saying 'ordinary Serbs' are a buch of homophobic neo nazi's?

eoghanacht

Homophobia is bad in Eastern Europe, but I actually think the Serbian State should be recognised as having stood up to these bigots, which is more that the Russian Police ever did.

Serbia took a lot of crap from the west when it suited our leaders to demonise them, but they come out of this pretty well. They have their share of neo-Nazis & suchlike, but they are actually a relatively civillised people for that part of the World.
Yeah i have to applaud the actions of the Serb Police, from what i've seen and read about the incidents it was the Police who prevented killings on the streets of Belgrade.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo

Your first point I have to agree with as the offices of the ruling party were also torched by the protesters. As to you second point, there is a disparity in Serbia is between the old Milosovic era ultra-nationalists and the new emerging Serbian nationalists under Boris Tadic. The former were rightly demonised when their representitive leaders were in charge of Serbian affairs. It would be a mistake to identify Tadic as not being a nationalist or not being nationalist enough. He is the leader of the Serbian state and a democratic alternative to the neanderthal mob thrashing Belgrade streets over this parade. The same mob that was given free rein under Milosivic to represent the further the goal of a 'greater Serbia'.

Roll_On

Well done to the Serb authorities for refusing to submit to violance, Neo-nazism has no place in the EU, and we should do all we can to stamp it out.

eoghanacht

Your first point I have to agree with as the offices of the ruling party were also torched by the protesters. As to you second point, there is a disparity in Serbia is between the old Milosovic era ultra-nationalists and the new emerging Serbian nationalists under Boris Tadic. The former were rightly demonised when their representitive leaders were in charge of Serbian affairs. It would be a mistake to identify Tadic as not being a nationalist or not being nationalist enough. He is the leader of the Serbian state and a democratic alternative to the neanderthal mob thrashing Belgrade streets over this parade. The same mob that was given free rein under Milosivic to represent the further the goal of a 'greater Serbia'.
Indeed i'm sure Arkan would have been proud of the rioters

EUrJokingMeRight

Homophobia is gay.

Partizan

Of course nothing about the neo-nazi goons in Zagreb given free reign by Tudjman to commit massacres and ethnic cleansing on Serbs and Bosniaks or anything about Izetbegovic & Ganic opening the jails of Sarajevo for rapists, Islamic fundemantalists, common criminals and other assorted criminal scum to fight the Yugoslav/VRS armies.

and dont get me started on the KLA.

but you conveniently forget that. That's right, it was the Serbs fault. :lol:

Partizan

Well done to the Serb authorities for refusing to submit to violance, Neo-nazism has no place in the EU, and we should do all we can to stamp it out.
+1

This kind of intolerance has no place in a multi denominational and multiethnic country like Serbia. The heads of the two main churches in Serbia, the Serbian Orthodox Church (Patriarch Irinej) and the Roman Catholic Church (Archbishop Hocevar) while opposing the march have condemned yesterday's violence.

White Horse

I really don't understand why people would engage in violence against a pro-homosexual march.

The number of homosexuals marching was small and much lower than expectations. There was a much larger religious demonstration the previous evening opposing the homosexual agenda.

Why do these right wing nutters give the homosexual lobby the violent scenes they seek?

Let the homosexuals march. Like the 12th , it is only one day.

Jezza

Homophobes are often closet homosexuals themselves.
X2. There is a lot of unpleasant fetishism in facism. Even if I was particularly bothered by Gays, I couldn't see myself risking life, limb & liberty to attack them. There's got to be some other motivation.

Wonder what they would have to say about Ernst Rohm, for instance?

Cruimh

I really don't understand why people would engage in violence against a pro-homosexual march.

The number of homosexuals marching was small and much lower than expectations. There was a much larger religious demonstration the previous evening opposing the homosexual agenda.

Why do these right wing nutters give the homosexual lobby the violent scenes they seek?

Let the homosexuals march. Like the 12th , it is only one day.
It's not only right wing nutters though - look at SevenStars - viciously and rabidly homophobic.

MichaelR

I would like to remind readers of what happened in Dublin in 2006. A march of a certain community and ideology, rejected by most people in the country, was planned in Dublin. Rioters have successfully derailed it, and the police did not do NEARLY enough to stop them.

Now, in Belgrade, another march, of a certain community and ideology rejected by most people in that country, and the police actually did their job. Even though many of the police probably don't think any better of the Gays than your average Garda does of the Orangies.

I'd say Serbia did *better* than Ireland at protecting a minority!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies