Homophobic bullying rife in Iirsh Schools

USER1234

From yesterdays Irish Times (23/11/10)

Homophobic bullying rife

SCHOOL LEADERS need to become more active in tackling homophobic bullying in Irish schools, a new report has found.

The report, Addressing Homophobic Bullying in Irish Schools , commissioned by the Equality Authority, warned that boards of management and principals had to do more to create an ethos where “homophobia is as unacceptable as racism or sexism”.

Dr James O’Higgins-Norman, of the School of Education Studies at DCU, led the research, which followed his 2006 findings that 80 per cent of Irish teachers had witnessed homophobic bullying.

According to Dr O’Higgins-Norman’s research, 41 per cent of teachers said they found homophobic bullying more difficult to deal with than other forms of bullying. They said they feared becoming a target themselves, as well as a negative reaction from parents, colleagues and school management.

Dr O’Higgins-Norman said, “Bullying can have a huge impact on mental health, creating a sense of isolation and affecting ability to engage with education. It can also lead to suicidal tendencies, as we have seen in the recent Phoebe Prince case in the US.”

The report said that, as role models for staff and students, school principals needed to “demonstrate leadership characterised by understanding, respect and inclusiveness”. It also found that both principals and boards of management needed to ensure that staff were trained to promote diversity and address bullying.

Examining international evidence, as well as the experiences of six Irish second-level schools already addressing homophobic bullying in their curricula, the report also noted that religious views on homosexuality should not be used as an obstacle to addressing homophobia in schools.

“Regardless of a school’s denominational status,” read the report, “most religions are based on justice and fairness. Therefore, the key issue to address is the need to challenge discrimination and to promote respect and the equality of all people.”
Full Story: Irish Times 23/11/10 - Homophobic bullying rife

My Comments:
1) It disgraceful that homophobic bullying is being allowed to continue for this long with no polices in place to prevent it!!!

2) The report's recommendations needs to be implemented immediately!!!

3) I agree with the report that religious views on homosexuality should not be used as an obstacle to addressing homophobia in schools

slx

Well, since the majority of schools are run by an openly homophobic organisation (or several in fact) how exactly are they to be expected to tackle homophobic bullying?

We do not have a proper public school system, rather we have an entirely state funded religious school system that is increasingly incompatible with civil rights law and modern social mores.

The Irish secondary and primary school "systems" (term used loosely) were perhaps acceptable in 1950 but, it's definitely not workable or acceptable in 2010.

I fail to see how these organisations can possibly deliver education in a liberal society with more views than simply hardline Christian conservatism. Not to mention the fact that pupils are frequently of non-religious, or other religious backgrounds.

ne0ica

My Comments:
1) It disgraceful that homophobic bullying is being allowed to continue for this long with no polices in place to prevent it!!!

3) I agree with the report that religious views on homosexuality should not be used as an obstacle to addressing homophobia in schools
We should do more to stop all bullying in schools and workplaces fullstop. I remember my schooldays where bullies would pick on the vulnerable and the weak. I also have encountered bullies in work situations.

AddressTheNation

"Homophobic bullying" is a tool in the toolbox for ridding schools of religious influence.

What about red-head bullying and specky-four-eyes bullying? Probably much worse, but these issues don't have any leverage, so you conveniently forget about them.

slx

"Homophobic bullying" is a tool in the toolbox for ridding schools of religious influence.

What about red-head bullying and specky-four-eyes bullying? Probably much worse, but these issues don't have any leverage, so you conveniently forget about them.
That kind of bullying's easy to deal with. I know of several incidents where STAFF have engaged in homophobic bullying of students and there was absolutely no recourse whatsoever as the principal basically implied that the child was 'immoral'.

USER1234

We should do more to stop all bullying in schools and workplaces fullstop.
For once you & I agree (hell must have frozen over!!!) however this report deals specificity with homophobic bullying and the dangerous levels of it shown in Irish schools!!!

I remember my schooldays where bullies would pick on the vulnerable and the weak.
It was the same in my day too, i know all too well!!!

I also have encountered bullies in work situations.
True, but it harder to bully at work as there are strict rules and laws to protect against work place bullies!!!

myhonorisloyalty666

When I was a lad you met the bully after school and fought him, win or lose, you fought him and once you made it clear you were prepared to stand up for yourself the bullies left you alone. You of course got in trouble with the teachers for fighting and Dad gave you a clip when you got home but you had your self-respect intact.
Boys need to be shown how to fight and stand their ground if they are being picked on.

ocoonassa

Need to explain to them that they're primates and then deconstruct what that means in terms of instincts, hormones and group behaviours and it'll stop them from turning out ugly, nobody wants to be behaving like a monkey, it's just that they don't know they are.

USER1234

Need to explain to them that they're primates and then deconstruct what that means in terms of instincts, hormones and group behaviours and it'll stop them from turning out ugly, nobody wants to be behaving like a monkey, it's just that they don't know they are.
huh???

Could you explain that a bit more clearly please!!!!

odlum

My Comments:

Hate to break the news to you but being "gay" has been standard slag in schools for many years.

USER1234

Hate to break the news to you but being "gay" has been standard slag in schools for many years.
Yeah i know but who says the report is just about slagging (which in itself can be the first stage of bullying) and even if it is, how is that acceptable in school while racist or sexist remarks would be an expellable offence!!!

Chrisco

Yes, I also believe that 'nïgger' has quite a long pedigree too.

And your point is?

MichaelR

You assume of course that children are "born gay" as opposed to it being a lifestyle choice.
"Lifestyle"? Of a schoolchild? How does that work? They're too young to have one.

Going out with someone of whatever sex is not a "lifestyle" yet.

Right is right

Another example of modern society getting all big brother on everything....For heavens sake these people are children a large number who wouldn't understand what being gay is anyway and use it as a means of slagging just they like slag people about being ginger, specky 4 eyes, lanky, midget etc....

At this rate we are going we are going to have to ban children from speaking in case they insult someone by accident and without even knowing it...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies