• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Homosexuality in the Defence Forces.

NewDawn1

What are Defence Forces de jure and de facto rules and attitudes on homosexuals joining up? I have googled this issue and have found essentially nothing so far. It seems many western militaries have undergone an official change in policies allowing homosexuals to join but if this is the case in Ireland, does anyone know what the realities are like for our men and women currently serving who come under this category?
It would be also interesting to see what peoples attitudes are on here towards this issue!

Last edited:

Munnkeyman

February 1993

Minister for Defence (Mr. Andrews): While the question of homosexuality is not specifically covered in Defence Force Regulations the provisions of section 169 of the Defence Act, 1954, provide that acts which are in breach of the criminal law of the State are also deemed to be offences against military law.
Information regarding sexual orientation is not sought from personnel wishing to enlist in the Defence Forces and it is not proposed to change this policy.

Munnkeyman

http://www.defence.ie/WebSite.nsf/fba727373c93a4f080256c53004d976e/52b5008d83dd298380257021004331af/$FILE/Publications.htm

SECTION 4

DISCRIMINATION

119. Definition The Employment Equality Act, 1998 defines discrimination as the treatment of one person in a less favourable way than another person is, has been or would be treated. The Act outlaws discrimination on nine (9) distinct grounds: gender, marital status, family status, sexual orientation, religious belief, age, disability, race and membership of the traveler community.

120. Complaints of discrimination that have nothing to do with sexual harassment, harassment or bullying will be dealt with under Section 114 of the Defence Act 1954 as amended (Redress of Wrongs).

Suttree

What are Defence Forces de jure and de facto rules and attitudes on homosexuals joining up? I have tried to google this issue and have found essentially nothing so far. It seems many western militaries have undergone an official change in policies allowing homosexuals to join but if this is the case in Ireland, does anyone know what the realities are like for our men and women currently serving who come under this category?
It would be also interesting to see what peoples attitudes are on here towards this issue!
I've shared bunk space and shower facilities with a gay lad on full-time training, and didn't care either way; that said it's a big organisation and not everyone might feel that way.

NewDawn1

I've shared bunk space and shower facilities with a gay lad on full-time training, and didn't care either way; that said it's a big organisation and not everyone might feel that way.
I hope lots of people feel like you in the Defence Forces as there seems be not much hope from the tide of homophobia seen on this forum even from the so called liberals, for example the amount of likes the first post (not the OP) got on the thread; 'The Army Rangers Wing Thread'.

firefly123

I hope lots of people feel like you in the Defence Forces as there seems to be a tide of homophobia on this forum even from the so called liberals, for example the amount of likes the first post got on the thread 'The Army Rangers Wing Thread'.
There are a few openly gay lads in the fire service and its not an issue except with a few lads who are probably extremely insecure and have to give off a macho image all the time. I might take issue if they flounced around the place as some gay people seem to insist on doing but these lads are as hard working as the next lad.

ruserious

When sh1t hits the fan, you never looked at the person next to you as a man or a woman, gay or straight, but as someone who could help with the situation at hand.

Ramon Mercadar

There are a few openly gay lads in the fire service and its not an issue except with a few lads who are probably extremely insecure and have to give off a macho image all the time. I might take issue if they flounced around the place as some gay people seem to insist on doing but these lads are as hard working as the next lad.
Its gay peoples right to mince around if they want but I don't think its a good idea. They are just fitting in to a pre-existing stereotype.

The limp wrist should become the clenched fist!

Mr. Bumble

I'd have a serious problem if the private in the bunk next to me was gay.

- I couldn't be looking at all the posters of George Michael and Liberace.
- The smell of perfume would erase the manly smell of blood, sweat and tears.
- All that mincing and flouncing would do my head in and the lisp would drive me crazy.
- The whole place would be repainted in pink and there would be 'tasteful' cushions everywhere.
- The showers would be destroyed with fake tan.
- I wouldn't be able to bend over when naked lest he seize the opportunity.
- This private would be looking at the other privates' privates which are private privates.

FrankSpeaks

- All that mincing and flouncing would do my head in and the lisp would drive me crazy.
- The whole place would be repainted in pink and there would be 'tasteful' cushions everywhere.
- This private would be looking at the other privates' privates which are private privates.
I'm not homophobic but that is a funny post!

Astral Peaks

Much underrated band, IMHO.

[video=youtube;XS-gwb8eSc0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS-gwb8eSc0[/video]

cricket

I knew a gay member of the Irish army ( the real one ) years ago and he used to tell me that there was a bit of a gay circle within his barracks. All there knew but there was no hassle.

FrankSpeaks

I knew a gay member of the Irish army ( the real one ) years ago and he used to tell me that there was a bit of a gay circle within his barracks. All there knew but there was no hassle.
Is gay circle the correct term?

My perverted brain is coming up with an altogether different meaning to the actual meaning of your post!

emulator

Homosexuality in the Defence Forces.

Are they bringing this in ? Is it going to be compulsory ?

Ramon Mercadar

Is gay circle the correct term?

My perverted brain is coming up with an altogether different meaning to the actual meaning of your post!
You're a pain in the ass!

Lempo

I once knew a guy who told me of the time of his conscription. They had in their room this guy who they didn't care too much for so every now and then when they wanted some time off from him they told him that they are gonna have a gay orgy now and he'd have to join or go away. "Fuking disgusting!", he used to say and then they wouldn't see him until very late that night next time.